Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Choosing a PCP rifle
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:32 am 

400 hundred gets you a gauntlet, they are nice shooters.
Switch it to co2 and fill the beast with jumbos, that should quiet it down enough for your needs.
You will need you PAL though

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:38 am 

Yes I do have my PAL license.
So from what I am understanding from the comments, there doesn't seem to be any quiet multi shot air rifle IN CANADA that would be suitable for pest control (accurate up to 50 yards at least + powerful enough for proper clean kills... .22 or .25 I would think). Anything multi shot would be louder then the springer HW80 .22 I currently own ?
Do Canadians not pest control with multi shot rifles ? Or they do, but don't use rifles as quiet as springers (thus chancing that other nearby game/pests are scared away from 1st shot)?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:49 am 

Pls correct me if I am wrong....

I think multi-shot is not related to louder or not... Just the power level you need (at least 800fps at .22 similar to a HW80 or higher) is loud.

I just got my pp700 delivered and I found the sub 500 PCP pistol is the QUIETEST gun in my house, much quieter than my CO2 guns, pumper and all other springers no matter pistol or rifle...

Sent from my S8 via Tapatalk

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:52 am 

Whatched a Youtube video on Umarex Gauntlet that said it has a 'regulator' and the barrel has a 'shroud' system IN it… which means you don’t add a surppressor.
Question – would Canadian version come the same way and also have shroud system built in barrel making it quiet ? If so, how does quietness compare to my HW80 .22 to get an idea of noise level

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:39 am 

If I were shopping for a PCP , the airgun forum store has the HW100 model in several different configurations at real good prices . The best way to get a gun as quiet as possible it to have it tuned for the best efficiency . Not necessarily for the most power . 25 to 30 FPE in .22 cal using a long barrel gun (24” or more ) will be the least noisy . Depending on what kind of pesting you do , a well tuned .177 might be all that’s needed . Don’t forget accuracy trumps power just about every time .

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:12 am 

Jorg wrote:
Whatched a Youtube video on Umarex Gauntlet that said it has a 'regulator' and the barrel has a 'shroud' system IN it… which means you don’t add a surppressor.
Question – would Canadian version come the same way and also have shroud system built in barrel making it quiet ? If so, how does quietness compare to my HW80 .22 to get an idea of noise level

No, the sound suppression is removed. Sound suppression of any type is illegal in Canada. I will tell you shortly how loud it is in .22. My gauntlet is on route from AGS. My modified crosman Optimus is right around 95-100 decibels. I live on three acres, and a neighbour a few driveway over is always firing powdered guns (even though it’s illegal). However I’m keenly interested in keeping my presence unknown, unlike my idiot neighbours.

Hajimoto makes stackable baffles, but good luck getting them into the country. I will show you a breakdown of how the Canadian version looks. I have yet to find anything online anywhere about the Canadian version in detail. I will post that in another forum once it arrives and I have some data.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:19 am 

Hobbyman2007 wrote:
If I were shopping for a PCP , the airgun forum store has the HW100 model in several different configurations at real good prices . The best way to get a gun as quiet as possible it to have it tuned for the best efficiency . Not necessarily for the most power . 25 to 30 FPE in .22 cal using a long barrel gun (24” or more ) will be the least noisy . Depending on what kind of pesting you do , a well tuned .177 might be all that’s needed . Don’t forget accuracy trumps power just about every time .
Yeah, I want to suggest / ask about the HW100 too... It's very popular in the HW forum and looks like everyone should have one of it just like the HW97...

However it's not that popular here? Price too high and not obvious advantage in performance when compare to other PCPs?!

~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:43 am 

I mean what kind of pests are you going to need to follow up a shot for with a high power 22 or 25 ? Or do you want a multi shot just because of noise? a non silenced pcp rifle cant be that loud if your 25 yards or more away

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:01 am 

The idea of a multi-shot is not necessarily to follow up on the first kill but quickly take out other pests if there are multiple pests grouped together in the same area... hence the reason a quiet rifle helps not scare other pests when 1st shot taken

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:04 am 

I understand as multi-shot is very attractive when you just get into airgunning, I so wanted the multi-shot mod on my 2240 before... But when I shoot more, I found single shot can give you much accuracy you want than multi shot as you can sit the pellet better each time. And a little break between shots can improve the quality of the coming next shot...

And multi-shot is not equal to semi-auto. You will still need to pull the bolt and push it in again to index the next pellet into the breech... If you quick or after practice, you can get much quicker reloading on using single shot... So, sometimes, a multi-shot mag just gives you some convenience in reloading in the scene...

~Target~

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:28 pm 

The gauntlet has a shorter barrel shroud on the CA version, at least the second generation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:05 pm 

My Gauntlet was/is full length shroud with no baffles. I switched it over to CO2 and shooting indoors, it was quite quiet, although still producing 18 to 20fpe - supposedly.
Sometime this spring, the air stripper at the end of the barrel, which also centers the barrel inside the shroud, fractured and is now pieces/garbage. All that is left
is the O ring and smaller barrel-fitting bracket. The rest of the unit is done. I have thought of simply shortening the shroud & turning an aluminum or brass spacer for the
barrel's fit at the end of the shroud as well as leaving it as CO2 only. That way, it likes cheap pellets, but does not shoot them on compressed air or nitrogen.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:46 pm 

Daryl wrote:
My Gauntlet was/is full length shroud with no baffles. I switched it over to CO2 and shooting indoors, it was quite quiet, although still producing 18 to 20fpe - supposedly.
Sometime this spring, the air stripper at the end of the barrel, which also centers the barrel inside the shroud, fractured and is now pieces/garbage. All that is left
is the O ring and smaller barrel-fitting bracket. The rest of the unit is done. I have thought of simply shortening the shroud & turning an aluminum or brass spacer for the
barrel's fit at the end of the shroud as well as leaving it as CO2 only. That way, it likes cheap pellets, but does not shoot them on compressed air or nitrogen.

Hajimoto sells a new aluminum air stripper to replace the factory ones that all came cracked.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:51 pm 

YepYep wrote:

And multi-shot is not equal to semi-auto. You will still need to pull the bolt and push it in again to index the next pellet into the breech... If you quick or after practice, you can get much quicker reloading on using single shot... So, sometimes, a multi-shot mag just gives you some convenience in reloading in the scene...

Well, there's always the Steyr Auto5... :wink: but it's not exactly quiet (nor inexpensive)

Personally, the few times I've had to dispatch pest, it was around a farm (in a area where it is legal to discharge a firearm) My favorite combination is a Brno bolt action with CCI Quiet or Aguila Super Colibri

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:57 pm 

So, actually at that power ( energy) level, a powder burner would be quieter?!

~Target~

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next