Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:22 pm 

Hi All,

First I don't yet own a PCP airgun but intend on getting one very soon. It will be a Pal rifle in 22 and I do own a new Benjamin hand pump already. For now i don't intend on owning a compressor and my budget is limited. I am thinking either Beeman Chief 2 or Diana Stormrider 2.
It will be mostly for grouse hunting. I also want a multi shot and both these guns have magazines. The main difference will be the Stormrider uses 3000 psi while the Beeman uses 2000. So, in the real world how much difference is this to hand pump while in the field.
I would tune for maximum velocity with at least 20-25 accurate shots per fill. (not too much curve in velocity) Any idea if this is realistic and which of these 2 will best suite my needs. What does an unregulated 3000 psi gun give youo for the the extra pumping? Will it match the beeman if just pumping to 2000 psi?
I have just returned to Yukon from an Alberta road trip. It was a surprise to me that the Calgary Cabelas had zero pcp guns though they have some online. The guys in Calgary Bass Pro didnt know what PCP was? Neither Cabelas in Edmonton had any PCPs, nor did Trapper Gord or the big gun store in Grand Prairie. Last place was Corlane in Dawson Creek. To say the least I was surprised. Always though I was missing the boat on all the latest and greatest while living in Yukon but apparently not in the air gunning world.
Any real world experience would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:41 pm 

I think the Beeman Chief 2 will give you the 20-25 shots you want, and pumping to 2000 psi is pretty easy compared to 3000 psi. Actually, I would say pumping to 2000 psi is effortless - just takes time. Pumping to 2500 psi takes effort, and pumping to 3000 psi takes commitment and endurance. Still, I pump to 3000 all the time - it takes roughly 40-50 pumps per 500 psi on a typical small tube (like on a Stormrider or Chief) with a 3 stage hand pump. The pumping force goes up considerably the higher the pressure. Also to prolong pump and tube life, install a moisture filter on your pump and pump slowly and take breaks every 40-50 pumps to let the pump cool. HIH.

Duke ))))----//----------==

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:21 pm 

Really depends how often you will get through those 25 shots at the power curve you want. Once a day? pump it, even 3000. 3~5 times a day? 2000 psi hand pumped isn't too bad as mentioned, but 3k = how soon are you planning on getting a compressor?
Although 2k is easy, still depends how often you will do it in one shooting session, especially with multi-shot mag. I get about 55 shots from 2250 to 1000 psi stable and its easy to go though 1 tin a day, sometimes 2, even 3 when doing stupid chrony testing and regulator settings, love the compressor!

MP 61 PCP conversion Summer Biathlon

HW 45
HW 80

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:59 am 

As stated I get 20 good shots from my .177 Chief. I take it down to 1200psi and 50 to 65 pumps get it back to 2000psi. I rarely shoot it anymore. Most accurate gun I own but I just find my springers much easier. Waiting to get a scuba tank and I have a place that fills it for $8. Owning a bunch of rimfires I would just take one of them hunting instead of a PCP as they seem make about the same crack when shot. Although I have never shot a 22 rimfire in the house to know the difference. None of my airguns have ever been outdoors. I have a 13cc bottle that is 3000psi and not a lot of fun hand pumping. It is a workout. Even with the 13cc bottle hooked up with an 1800psi regulator I get likely 65 to 70 good shots but I have never counted exactly. If I were to take an airgun into a bush it would likely be my QB78S. Take some extra CO Caplets and have 40 shots before changing CO Caplets right in the bush. It is super quiet and being a bowhunter at heart I like stealth mode. CHEERS!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:59 am 

I find the Chief and the Stormrider very similar to pump up, not hard at all for either one. The Stormrider tube is so small it isn't very many pumps from 2000psi to 3000psi.
Advantages of both: Stormrider/Artemis PCP is lighter and will give more shots per fill. Mags are cheap and plentiful.
If you regulate the Stormrider/Artemis (I sell them tuned with regulator if you're interested) you'll get even more shots and more consistent.
Chief: known for very good accuracy even to 100 yards (mine is amazing), and the mag holds more pellets.
Benjamin marauder mag is apparently compatible if you remove the post on the breech of the Chief II.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:04 am 

I’d skip the rifle all together . Get yourself a PP700SA with a good quality micro pistol dot sight . Taking head shots on partridge out to 20 yards is completely doable .

If you’re completely sold on a rifle , I’d chose the Diana from Wes at Airgunarcheryfun.

HW97 .177
HW80 .177
HW35 .177
HW100KTFSB 177
Winchester 257-70
Discovery 257
Airspeed .25
Frankendisco .25
FX ImpactX .223,22,177,172
K550 .22
Windy City .22
Daisy 953 .177

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:07 pm 

I'd second the PP700SA in .22 - if, shooting game with a pistol is legal in your area.
Red dot sight equipped.

Attachments:
IMG_2649.JPG
IMG_2649.JPG [ 471.32 KiB | Viewed 135 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:42 pm 

Dukemeister wrote:
I think the Beeman Chief 2 will give you the 20-25 shots you want, and pumping to 2000 psi is pretty easy compared to 3000 psi. Actually, I would say pumping to 2000 psi is effortless - just takes time. Pumping to 2500 psi takes effort, and pumping to 3000 psi takes commitment and endurance. Still, I pump to 3000 all the time - it takes roughly 40-50 pumps per 500 psi on a typical small tube (like on a Stormrider or Chief) with a 3 stage hand pump. The pumping force goes up considerably the higher the pressure. Also to prolong pump and tube life, install a moisture filter on your pump and pump slowly and take breaks every 40-50 pumps to let the pump cool. HIH.

Thanks for your assessment on pumping up the Chief, definitely doesn't seem too intimidating.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:48 pm 

wesb2007 wrote:
I find the Chief and the Stormrider very similar to pump up, not hard at all for either one. The Stormrider tube is so small it isn't very many pumps from 2000psi to 3000psi.
Advantages of both: Stormrider/Artemis PCP is lighter and will give more shots per fill. Mags are cheap and plentiful.
If you regulate the Stormrider/Artemis (I sell them tuned with regulator if you're interested) you'll get even more shots and more consistent.
Chief: known for very good accuracy even to 100 yards (mine is amazing), and the mag holds more pellets.
Benjamin marauder mag is apparently compatible if you remove the post on the breech of the Chief II.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Im now thinking my choice is between the regulated "Stormrider 2" and the Chief 2. I really like the look of the Artemis and getting a regulated rifle at such a good price point has to be a big advantage. That said, accuracy is fairly critical for head shots on game birds and you seem pretty happy with the Chief in that department. Thanks for your comments.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:50 pm 

Hobbyman2007 wrote:
I’d skip the rifle all together . Get yourself a PP700SA with a good quality micro pistol dot sight . Taking head shots on partridge out to 20 yards is completely doable .

If you’re completely sold on a rifle , I’d chose the Diana from Wes at Airgunarcheryfun.

Im definitely a rifle guy though love my 2240. Thanks for the nod on the Diana.