Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:14 am 

Howdy folks!

New gal on the block checking in from Vancouver Island (Victoria)

Originally a Maritimer born and raised I have transplanted to the west coast and looking to meet other like-minded folks and get shooting!

I have been over here for almost 5 years now but only recently considered getting back into shooting.

Back home I have been shooting since I was a wee lass with cheap springers (.177 crossman etc), but am looking to finally get my PAL and get a decent pellet gun (maybe even a PCP)

I have always been a pretty sharp shot but looking to take that to the next level and find some community including the local VPSA ( http://www.nsrg.org/nsrg/index.php?id=90 )

In it will be a couple of months out but i plan to take the safety course at the end of January. I have a decent job so I can actually get a nice gun this time around and am looking forward to it!

If anyone local got a new gun/upgraded for Christmas and may be looking to thin their herd I am in the market so let me know! (<495 fps, either caliber, but the quality is a must and ideally, open sights for the local 10m range!)

Cheers and feel free to say hello! I will likely be pestering you all with questions soon!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:29 am 

Welcome Luna

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:33 am 

Location: Southern Gulf Islands, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
Welcome to the forum Luna,

Great to have another West Coast member from Victoria / Vancouver Island. Allot of really nice people circulate this forum offering a wealth of information, experience and advice. You have questions? We have answers! You've come to the right place!

Cheers and welcome aboard!

Avianmanor

*Air Arms S510 Extra*Artemis M11*CZ 200S*Benjamin Marauder*Brocock Concept*Cometa Orion*Daystate Huntsman*FX Dreamline*FX Streamline*Hatsan BT65*Kral Puncher*QB78D 875 FPS*Weihrauch HW100S*Artemis PP700S*Artemis PP800*Diana Chaser*FX Radar*Snowpeak CP1-M*

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:10 pm 

Welcome Luna,

The island is a nice place, spent a few years in Victoria when I was young and stupid. Some beautiful hiking and fishing!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:06 am 

Luna wrote:
Howdy folks!

New gal on the block checking in from Vancouver Island (Victoria)

Originally a Maritimer born and raised I have transplanted to the west coast and looking to meet other like-minded folks and get shooting!

I have been over here for almost 5 years now but only recently considered getting back into shooting.

Back home I have been shooting since I was a wee lass with cheap springers (.177 crossman etc), but am looking to finally get my PAL and get a decent pellet gun (maybe even a PCP)

I have always been a pretty sharp shot but looking to take that to the next level and find some community including the local VPSA ( http://www.nsrg.org/nsrg/index.php?id=90 )

In it will be a couple of months out but i plan to take the safety course at the end of January. I have a decent job so I can actually get a nice gun this time around and am looking forward to it!

If anyone local got a new gun/upgraded for Christmas and may be looking to thin their herd I am in the market so let me know! (<495 fps, either caliber, but the quality is a must and ideally, open sights for the local 10m range!)

Cheers and feel free to say hello! I will likely be pestering you all with questions soon!

Howdy Luna, new member and from Victoria as well. Welcome to the forum! Im looking to join the Fish and game range as well, maybe even see you there at the safety course! I have a ruger air hawk that i can part with if you are interested. I shoot out in Jordan river since im not a range member. You should check it out if you havent been!

Benjamin Maximus .22
Crosman 788
Diana AM03 "Stealth" .177 Diana ZR Mount

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:48 am 

Hi Luna welcome to the CAF from an ex Victoria resident now moved to Kelowna....

Lots of helpful members here and lots of useful info; and LOTS of Air guns For Sale; as well!

Enjoy!

:)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:51 pm 

wllm995 wrote:

Lots of helpful members here and lots of useful info; and LOTS of Air guns For Sale;

Where would I look to find local listings? Or should I just post a more general wanted ad in here?

TropicalMonkey wrote:
shoot out in Jordan river since im not a range member. You should check it out if you havent been!

Whereabouts do you mean? Is there a specific place that is fair game for plinking?

In Nova Scotia things are pretty loosey-goosey with shooting on crown land provided it isn't hunting season but here i find people own almost all the land around so I didn't think plinking would be an option without owning land myself or going to the range.

I did go to the junior/new shooters session at the local range but no one for the scheduled event was there, and the two who were were shooting a high caliber pistol. There was a contact number for Willi who seems to be the head honcho for air rifles there so I will be talking with him and see what the situation is!

The 10 m air gun indoor area didn't seem like it would be much of a challenge. I am usually used to 25-45 meter shooting.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:30 am 

Luna wrote:
wllm995 wrote:

Lots of helpful members here and lots of useful info; and LOTS of Air guns For Sale;

Where would I look to find local listings? Or should I just post a more general wanted ad in here?

TropicalMonkey wrote:
shoot out in Jordan river since im not a range member. You should check it out if you havent been!

Whereabouts do you mean? Is there a specific place that is fair game for plinking?

In Nova Scotia things are pretty loosey-goosey with shooting on crown land provided it isn't hunting season but here i find people own almost all the land around so I didn't think plinking would be an option without owning land myself or going to the range.

I did go to the junior/new shooters session at the local range but no one for the scheduled event was there, and the two who were were shooting a high caliber pistol. There was a contact number for Willi who seems to be the head honcho for air rifles there so I will be talking with him and see what the situation is!

The 10 m air gun indoor area didn't seem like it would be much of a challenge. I am usually used to 25-45 meter shooting.

Jordan river has a series of service roads that lead into crown land. Lots of powder burners go there for their plinking. Once youre north of the power lines youre pretty much in crown land. Where i go, my chevy cruze takes me no problem. The iffiness of crown land specifics kept me away for a while. Then i did sone homework. People ARE allowed to shoot out there. Long as you clean up after yourself. PM me id love to tell you more.

Willy is a good ol guy. Had a lengthy conversation with him satisfting my inquiries. And from what i gather, im not gonna bother with that club till spring, when they do silhouette outside

North Saanich club supposedly has a really long wait too, so im leaning more towards island fish and game.

Benjamin Maximus .22
Crosman 788
Diana AM03 "Stealth" .177 Diana ZR Mount

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:14 am 

Luna wrote:
wllm995 wrote:

If shooting small groups, at small targets, standing isn't much of a challenge... I don't know what is :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:51 pm 

sillymike wrote:

If shooting small groups, at small targets, standing isn't much of a challenge... I don't know what is :wink:

Shooting standing groups at 25 to 45 metres. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:16 pm 

Welcome Aboard Luna!

Attached link is a decent CO2/PCP .22 with open sights that you may be interested in.
Pros - Operating at CO2 pressures will keep you within sub PAL velocities.
Cons - You will need a fill station. Lots pop up for sale here on CAF.
Once you get the valve pinned safely for HPA you can easily switch to run HPA.
This cheap AG would be a gateway for efficiency mods with a RVA.
Tuning it is a fun experience if you are into tinkering.

https://www.airgunforum.ca/forums/topic84536.html

I do own one and run it at Co2 pressure. It is quite accurate and fun to shoot.

It can quickly become an addiction for some of us who enjoy this type of sport.

Cheers!

-MM

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:07 pm 

If you buy a cheaper gun and start modifying , you will find that the cost is as much or more than buying a quality gun in the first place. With the price of good HW guns used and Dianas that is the way I would go. Most Dianas and HWs have open sights.

If you are going pcp, Wes has some great guns. I would advise staying with a more traditional design like the M11. He has a great price on them right now.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:15 pm 

Welcome Luna. Good luck with the shooting.
10 meter air rifle and air pistols indoors is indeed,
a worthwhile learning endeavour & not as "EASY"
as it sounds.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:06 pm 

Mac wrote:
If you buy a cheaper gun and start modifying , you will find that the cost is as much or more than buying a quality gun in the first place. With the price of good HW guns used and Dianas that is the way I would go. Most Dianas and HWs have open sights.

If you are going pcp, Wes has some great guns. I would advise staying with a more traditional design like the M11. He has a great price on them right now.

I totally agree 100% with Mac's point of view on quality guns.
HW or AA would be a way better choice than what I had suggested :oops:
Did not mean to steer you in the wrong direction.

- MM

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:54 pm 

MetalMouse wrote:
Welcome Aboard Luna!

Attached link is a decent CO2/PCP .22 with open sights that you may be interested in.
Pros - Operating at CO2 pressures will keep you within sub PAL velocities.
Cons - You will need a fill station. Lots pop up for sale here on CAF.
https://www.airgunforum.ca/forums/topic84536.html

-MM

That's a neat gun for sure! At the moment I am going to be steering clear of anything CO2 but just looking at the stock in the link is drool-worthy no doubt!

I was looking at this as an entry PCP Gun.
https://airgunarcheryfun.ca/artemis-mul ... le-cr600w/

I would love to get a decent HQ gun but D&L air guns is sold out of all the .177 <495 fps HW guns with the exception of the 1500$ model (But for that I will wait until I have my PAL and get the AA S510 XS regulated in laminate .22 (That's the current goal gun!)

But even when I get that I will want to mod it to have open sights too somehow (or maybe peep sights?)

If anyone knows where to get an HW or when D&L will get more stock in do let me know! Again if there are local guns out there not posted also let me know!
Availability is the issue not price!

I think I wanna go PCP for my main PAL gun and spring for <500 in .177

Ultimately if I can't find anything I will likely get one of these

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/116936/u ... ifle-combo

Also
TropicalMonkey wrote:

Howdy Luna, new member and from Victoria as well. Welcome to the forum! Im looking to join the Fish and game range as well, maybe even see you there at the safety course! I have a ruger air hawk that i can part with if you are interested. I shoot out in Jordan river since im not a range member. You should check it out if you havent been!

I plan to do their course on the 11 and 12 of january for my PAL and am going to get a membership there I think!