Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:33 am 

Feeling pretty discouraged again.

I did part one of the PAL course today and will be doing part two tomorrow, but discovering that even if I pass (which I expect to do) on top of the already long wait because I checked some of these boxes the instructor (and googling seems to confirm) that I could end up waiting a year before I get my PAL just because I had some rough patches in my life recently!

I can definitely say it doesn't seem fair, for example, I have never attempted self-harm or anything like that, but I like many others have been diagnosed with depression... who hasn't these days?.... and job loss can happen to anyone. (Especially in tech where companies/startups go under or relocate their office -- which is what happened in my case -- all the time.) Most of these things are not always directly a reflection of the individual and further demonstrate a form of discrimination to people who are likely already at a disadvantage. I may need to attach extra documents from my doctor etc for my application to be processed but exactly what information is needed isn't indicated and in my eyes is a failure in the design of the application form.

The thought of trying to commit self-harm with an airgun is just wild. (But I know the license is for more than that)

One might even say completing this section of the form is depressing *Groaner*

Has anyone else here found similar issues, or gone through the process after having checked these boxes?

Again overall after experiencing the course material very little of it really pertains to airguns directly. (Essentially just the main safety section and muzzle control.) Air guns are also much easier to PROVE Safe in most cases and it is typically extremely easy to observe the chamber/feeding path (if there even is one)/ and bore. (which is often break barrel )

I really wish they would review the whole thing and give air guns a separate class, maybe even follow the more logical British declaration of 12ft/lbs (I would be totally fine sticking to those rifles with the extra flexibility and options it would provide!)

I attached a picture of the section on the form in case folks haven't seen it yet.

Attachments:
File comment: If you haven't seen it these are the fields on section C of the application form.
personal history.PNG
personal history.PNG [ 264.96 KiB | Viewed 2358 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:18 am 

I always clicked no. Because the first 2 main points. I never threatened or attempted suicide ever. So I will never admit anything with those words in it. I think it should be a separate section. You got a whole lot of different mental injuries, conditions, and illness mixed into one. Sure some of the stuff applies to me, but I won't say yes, to anything with suicide grouped into other stuff points.

But since you clicked it, don't freak out, It's not the end of the world. You'll get a call and asked some questions, answer them truthfully.

But good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:44 am 

I just mailed my application to RCMP early last week. I checked the job loss in the past 2 years as I asked my company to layoff me and they accepted so I am taking my EI now and looking for my next career...

My part is reasonable as maybe someone get fired and will bring a gun back into the office...

But yours question I agreed it's nonsense to combine so many different situation and different levels illness into one check box....

And we are applying for a fire arm license.... Basically is not related to airguns.... However just some airguns are too powerful..... 8-)

In UK, things looks more reasonable.... As read, they will treat a long barrel 2240 with stock which longer than 600mm as a rifle...... So you won't have a 24inch barrel with shoulder stock 'pistol' anyone... Make sense?!

Sent from my S9 via Tapatalk

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:11 am 

The irony is this: 16(d) if you had emotional problems, depression, etc and have been treated you click yes and get screened. If you are having problems, and never sought or received treatment, you are an actual risk, but you can click no and get a license.

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:40 am 

Checking yes to any of those boxes does not mean that you will necessarily be rejected. Be sure to attack a note fully explaining the situation. It will be reviewed and a decision will be made based on that.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:49 pm 

Mantis wrote:
Checking yes to any of those boxes does not mean that you will necessarily be rejected. Be sure to attack a note fully explaining the situation. It will be reviewed and a decision will be made based on that.

Yeah I’m going to submit a note from my doctor with my submission in hopes of Speeding it up and call the cfo to follow up too.

I really hate that they lump so much together
leadslinger wrote:
I always clicked no. Because the first 2 main points. I never threatened or attempted suicide ever. So I will never admit anything with those words in it. I think it should be a separate section. You got a whole lot of different mental injuries, conditions, and illness mixed into one. Sure some of the stuff applies to me, but I won't say yes, to anything with suicide grouped into other stuff points.

But since you clicked it, don't freak out, It's not the end of the world. You'll get a call and asked some questions, answer them truthfully.

But good luck.

I would do this but I don’t want to get charged with prugery or something if they check my medical record or something

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:25 pm 

Luna wrote:
Mantis wrote:

Yeah I’m going to submit a note from my doctor with my submission in hopes of Speeding it up and call the cfo to follow up too.

I really hate that they lump so much together
leadslinger wrote:

But good luck.

I would do this but I don’t want to get charged with prugery or something if they check my medical record or something

Tell me about it, Ive been dealing with PTSD since 2008. So it's large part of my life. Which lead into depression and anxiety. Had my license since I was 18. But many will avoid seeking help, because they fear that they are going to lose their license and their firearms. Ive been trying to break that stigma. But Ive seen a fair share of doctors, and government spent a fare share of money on sessions and assessments. Not once did any doctor, feared for my safety and others, because I was a firearm owner. Its all how you speak. You start going on about killing etc, then you might get flagged. There only ever been 1 person that was afraid, but her opinion didn't matter because she hatted me anyways. My mother in Law.

Doctor note would be a good choice. I just chose not to. Due to the first few words.

They don't really have access to your medical documentation. That still considered private. All they do is check if you have any criminal charges etc.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:36 pm 

Dukemeister wrote:
The irony is this: 16(d) if you had emotional problems, depression, etc and have been treated you click yes and get screened. If you are having problems, and never sought or received treatment, you are an actual risk, but you can click no and get a license.

Good point Duke. Doesn't make sense.
:roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:11 pm 

Sorry for the necro but for future info for peeps:

I haven't submitted my application yet but I did talk with my cousin and he mentioned that for him it added another 9 months which meant totaling a year and a half to get his RPAL

now he was going for an RPAL so maybe that makes it harder or take longer but still... Pretty spooky. I really hope that by mentioning I am just after competitive air gun target shooting that will help!

I am going to try and get my photo done tomorrow and get my references in order.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:37 am 

Luna wrote:
Sorry for the necro but for future info for peeps:

I haven't submitted my application yet but I did talk with my cousin and he mentioned that for him it added another 9 months which meant totaling a year and a half to get his RPAL

now he was going for an RPAL so maybe that makes it harder or take longer but still... Pretty spooky. I really hope that by mentioning I am just after competitive air gun target shooting that will help!

I am going to try and get my photo done tomorrow and get my references in order.

Everybody case is different. So yours may be a simple, see the note, ask a question, then stamp the application ( approved ) You cannot say it will add 9 months, because your cousin case may be different than yours. Unfortunately nothing you will say will speed anything up. They wouldn't care that you are just competitive airgun target shooter, or have top secret clearance. The more things you try and add to the application, to try and speed up. The more they will see it as a red flag and must be very desperate.

So just add the doctors note, and the reason for the minor depression after a divorce ( like everybody goes though ) and go from there.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:25 am 

And if you get a picture exemption on your PAL because of religious needs you can get a no picture PAL and buy a gun? Go figure..

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:41 pm 

newlife wrote:
And if you get a picture exemption on your PAL because of religious needs you can get a no picture PAL and buy a gun? Go figure..

You would get denied. Amish wouldn't be using a computer, and a women in a Burka wouldn't be allowed to talk to other men, let alone take a firearm course. It's not as big of a deal as Goldie made it. Ask for a Authorize to release personal information and ask how many non photo PAL there are? Out of 2.2 Million licensed Canadians, I would expect it to be around 100.

I bought a rifle today from a business, without showing my PAL. OMG the humanity.

PAL#, DOB and expiry date was all that was needed. Even when I did transfers, PAL # was all I need. Those asking for photo IDs and PAL photos are out in left field.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:17 pm 

So now were back on topic 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:45 pm 

I have a question, would this affect someone who had a stroke and has made a 100% recovery?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:37 pm 

ratchetman wrote:
I have a question, would this affect someone who had a stroke and has made a 100% recovery?

Can't see it effecting. Unless he has some PTSD and some emotional distress