Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:56 pm 

Hi!

Im looking for a low velocity target shooting pistol for ~10 yards.

Im looking at these new break barrel or pump style pistols that dont use CO2.
There are a lot of different models, I am just looking for some input from anyone :)

I have some decent CO2 air pistols, but I wanted to get a more target oriented one that doesnt use CO2.

Thx!

(these are the types I am looking at for example)

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/125562/b ... air-pistol

https://www.airgunsource.ca/us/beeman-p17.html

https://www.replicaairguns.ca/gamo-p-90 ... let-pistol

https://www.replicaairguns.ca/umarex-br ... let-pistol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:24 pm 

https://www.airgunsource.ca/us/beeman-p17.html

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:40 pm 

You can't go wrong with a P17. You can get a better gun but not at this price! You'll never find better accuracy for the money.

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:10 pm 

Don't forget our Mr. Marvin (user ID: mrmarvin) should still have some 'new old stock' HW70.

Among the choices we see in this post so far, I believe this is the best bang! Although it would be 'much' 'expensive' than a P17, it's still much cheaper than a HW40 and it's the top grade of quality and accuracy.

And it's more powerful and better feels of a springer than a SSP would give you more fun in shooting ~

I am very very satisfied on my HW70 bought from Mr. Marvin.

Sent from my S9 via Tapatalk

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:41 pm 

DocGadget wrote:
You can't go wrong with a P17. You can get a better gun but not at this price! You'll never find better accuracy for the money.

The P17s really are that good/accurate eh? I always hear about that one.
Do you know what type of pellets they tend to like?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:05 pm 

Mine wasn't that picky. However due to its power, try on the high quality light weight pellets first, i.e. JSB RS, RWS 7g (I have been using R10 for a long time, but the cheaper ones are good too, like the same 7g green tins) etc...

~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:10 pm 

I have a couple of the Umarex Buckmark and had trigger pull reduced. A very accurate low power springer up to 20 feet .

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:32 pm 

Buckmark to me is just a good looking gun, accuracy is not bad, however power just too weak, 300ish is just too weak even against the pop cans...

~Target~

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:57 pm 

YepYep wrote:
Buckmark to me is just a good looking gun, accuracy is not bad, however power just too weak, 300ish is just too weak even against the pop cans...

Killed a pigeon with one. Just everything else was bad with the Buckmark, trigger is too heavy, wasn't that accurate.

I would take a P17 over it, any day.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:25 pm 

If you find one the Alecto is pistol like no other. I just sold my past one yesterday to help a friend get into some quality airguns. I’m slightly regretting it already but these eyes aren’t what they use to be. Lol

Artemis CR600W .177
Diana Stormrider .177
Seneca Dragonfly MK2 .177

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:50 pm 

If you want accuracy on a budget, you just can't beat the P17.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:09 pm 

Mac wrote:

Yeah, come on people, the OP's description points directly to the P17. Don't complicate things. Besides being accurate, it's also the world's most disposable SSP. If it goes wrong, buy a new one. If it goes wrong again, buy a new one again. Still cheaper than any alternative.

Oh, and did I mention they seldom "go wrong" in an unfixable way.

8)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:21 pm 

If you search a bit, there ought to be some Webley's floating around

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:20 pm 

Edmonton<500 wrote:
Mac wrote:

Yeah, come on people, the OP's description points directly to the P17. Don't complicate things. Besides being accurate, it's also the world's most disposable SSP. If it goes wrong, buy a new one. If it goes wrong again, buy a new one again. Still cheaper than any alternative.

8)

I so agree to these words, love my P17. But a Webley Hurricane is a nice shooter too, and really easy to tame, as is that cool Baikal MP53M I got from you Murray :) .

OP, if you want to be in a ''select'' club :lol: , find yourself a first gen Webley Nemesis SSP, very accurate, about the same size as a P17 but a bit heavier (all metal frame), and very good non-FO sights.

And if you'd like to learn how to tinker on a SSP, get yourself a Stoeger XP4 LOL! Mine is now a tack driver, but I needed to put quite a few hours into it :rolleyes:

Attachments:
pistols.JPG
pistols.JPG [ 101.92 KiB | Viewed 2046 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:25 pm 

airmec wrote:
Edmonton<500 wrote:
Mac wrote:

8)

I so agree to these words, love my P17. But a Webley Hurricane is a nice shooter too, and really easy to tame, as is that cool Baikal MP53M I got from you Murray :) .

OP, if you want to be in a ''select'' club :lol: , find yourself a first gen Webley Nemesis SSP, very accurate, about the same size as a P17 but a bit heavier (all metal frame), and very good non-FO sights.

And if you'd like to learn how to tinker on a SSP, get yourself a Stoeger XP4 LOL! Mine is now a tack driver, but I needed to put quite a few hours into it :rolleyes:

I agree with you 100% on the Hurricane, my friend. Bought it. Shot it. Loved it. Sold it. Regret it. :)

I apologise to any members who may have taken my comments as discrediting their suggestions: That was not my intent. It's just that we see these requests for recommendations several times a week on this forum, and newbies are immediately bombarded with a dozen options from the member's point of view. When I was just starting out, that made me more confused than ever, especially when several people would suggest options with a disclaimer (Not in your price range but.../Not a multi shooter but.../Only comes in .177 but... etc. and then comment on a feature that still makes it a good choice). It soon becomes overwhelming for new guy.

But, we all have our favourites, and we're all trying to help. :wink:

$0.00