Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Stoeger X20GT, CTC grab
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:39 pm 

Yup, another CTC "on sale" grab.

I was in to look at the gun safe they had on sale this week:

That's just a pic I grabbed off the net.

I bought it by the way. $649.

It will get the job done well enough. As an aside, the 18 gun safe is on sale, but when I got it home the safe turned out to be the 24 gun model. 1100 bucks instead of 649. Seems they put the sale price on the wrong floor model and loaded it into my truck. Well, it weighs somewhere around 500-600 lbs so it staying right where it is.....lol!

While waiting, I strolled down the airgun isle. They had a Stoeger X20 GT on sale for 199, reg 299.

(Not my pic, grabbed it off the web)

Read up on it a bit and the reviews all seemed pretty good. Well, as good as you can expect at the price point. Seems stoeger is a division (or owned by) Beretta.

I get it home and pull it out of the box. Looks nice, feels like quality. .177. Scope is a 4x32. Limited to 495 FPS.

I fire off a couple crossman pellets.

Shoots smooth, very quiet.

Trigger pull is long, but I haven't fiddled with any of the settings yet. Supposed to be a two stage trigger. From internet reading, sounds like a trigger swap makes it a much nicer shooter. The pull length is nothing I can't deal with. I'm used to squeezing until I'm surprised the shot went off. It's the way I was trained to shoot in the military: squeeze until the shot goes and it should almost be a surprise when it goes. Basically, it's ensuring you're not jerking the rifle when pulling the trigger. Shooting 101.....

I still want to tear it down and clean it up. Nothing crazy, just a wipe down, burr removal, maybe polish a few bits, re-lube and give a little time to anything that looks like it needs attention.

Unrestricted x20's are advertised anywhere from 800 fps to 1200. When I get it apart, I need to look at how they "de-tuned" it. A quick google seems to indicate that there's a bleed hole in the piston.

I hadn't ranged in the scope yet, so the pellets went.....well, "somewhere". I have to set up a target and range it in. I generally shoot at around 62 feet (length from my back deck to the target post), which is roughly a 20 meter range. Scope says its rated for air rifles, has the Stoeger symbol on it. at first peep, the optics seem pretty good. Feels like the cheek plate is too low for me. I found myself repositioning higher on the stock with every shot. I may have to do something about that because not having a reliable cheek reference means I'm looking through the scope differently every time which is (obviously) going to negatively affect "repeatability".

I'll get it ranged in and post up some groupings.

First impressions: seems like a decent little plinker for the price.

More info to follow as I get to it.

:)

Last edited by great white on Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:46 pm 

The Stoeger X20 is basically the same gun as your Benjamin Classic, made in the same Chinese factory. Different stock and bling, otherwise same (diif cal of course).

Duke ))))----//----------==

HW97K .22
Hatsan AT44-10W .22
Cometa Fusion Premiere Star .22 /.177

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:10 pm 

Dukemeister wrote:
The Stoeger X20 is basically the same gun as your Benjamin Classic, made in the same Chinese factory. Different stock and bling, otherwise same (diif cal of course).

Yes, it's chinese made. What isn't these days?

;)

What I can find indicates that the Benjamin is a B22 based and the Stoeger is b19 based, but "updated" (whatever that means).

http://chineseairgunportal.brutuz.com/clonelist.htm

And:

Quote:
The B19 has been sold in SA as the Ultratec 1906, Sniper MKII amongst other brands.
It is a clone of the Gamo Hunter 440 with improvements over the original.
B19-14 has a conventional stock.
B19-17 has a thumb-hole stock.
B20 is a Weihrauch HW95 clone. A very good close copy. It is sold here as the RWS320.
B22 is a near clone of the Gamo Hunter 1250, and has been changed to simplify what Gamo complicated.
B26-2 is a thumb-hole stocked version of the B20.
B31 is a clone of the Diana 48. Very good rifle.
B41-1 is a near copy of the Air Arms TX200MKIII.
B50 is a copy of an obsolete version of the Daystate Hunter with conventional stock.
B51 as above with thumb-hole stock.

https://www.airrifle.co.za/threads/31007-MZE-BAM-B22

But, do I care either way?

Nope.

Fun to shoot, fun to tweak. Benjamin is accurate (enough) at my ranges, the Roeger is reported to be as least as good as the Benji.

Everything else doesn't really matter. At least not to me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:14 pm 

Nope, misinformation.
Classic is a B19.. if you like to split hairs, the Stoeger is a B18.

Duke ))))----//----------==

HW97K .22
Hatsan AT44-10W .22
Cometa Fusion Premiere Star .22 /.177

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:59 pm 

Dukemeister wrote:
Nope, misinformation.
Classic is a B19.. if you like to split hairs, the Stoeger is a B18.

Well, then it's your word against every web site I've found the information on. Literally dozens in just a short google. Both the above chart and narratives.

But, as I said, I don't care either way.

;)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:52 pm 

So I've got about 2 dozen pellets run through the X20.

Ranged the scope in today.

It's obviously not the highest quality scope, although it works well enough. Biggest thing I noticed was the elevation and windage adjustments. I'd be able to turn and turn with no change int he impact point. Then; whip! A small turn gets you a big movement. But like I said, it ranged in and works well enough. Once ranged, the settings seemed to hold just fine.

With it set up, I'm getting a 1" grouping at 20 meters. 30 meters is pretty close to the same, maybe 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" at 30 meters. It was pretty windy today (steady wind from the left with unpredictable gusting from any direction), so I stopped once I got a 1" group. Trying to chase it down more with teh winds as they were was pointless. I'm actually kind of surprised I was able to range it in to a 1" grouping with the winds the way they were. I expect I would get even better groupings on a calm day, maybe 1/2" or less. Have to wait for a calm day to find out.

Those groupings are as delivered, right out of the box. I've adjusted/cleaned nothing except the mounting and adjusting the scope.

I do all my shooting from the standing position because of my bad back. I usually brace my forward arm at the elbow on the barbecue or deck rail, always using the same position when ranging in the scope. Otherwise, I'm free standing.

FPS I don't know, still waiting for my chronometer to show up.

Shoots pretty smooth for a springer. There's no twang to speak of and it doesn't kick around in my hands. Rifle is pretty much dead quiet. The loudest part of a shot is the pellet hitting the target.

Not a bad deal for $200. I'm looking forward to fine tuning it and seeing what I can get out of it. Really enjoying it right now.