Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:39 pm 

Hey!

I am still around but just haven't had energy to post! Work has been crazy!

I have fixed my rifle with the new piece and things seem to be working.

I am getting pretty accurate already. However, the sight seems to be Leaning to one side so I am aiming with more of an "X" than a "t" shape. I think this has to do with how it's mounted? I feel like the rounded top of the gun makes it harder to scope or something? But I know lots of people use the TX200 so I feel like I am just a scope noob.

I also need to make a post about strength training to improve aim in general but will do that in a sec.

Spot my cat's paw in the last one :p

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:58 pm 

Pick up some small RV bubble levels. Make a jig or rest to place the gun in/on, and level the gun. Then mount the rings ( try and level them as well, or best you can ) Then place the scope in, and sit a level on top of the scope cap if you can, if not remove the cap and turn in the dial till you can sit it flush. Then start mounting the scope caps, trying to make them even. But also making sure that it maintains level..

If its more of a X, you probably tighten one side more and caused the scope to rotate while it was being tightened.

You should get a true vertical reticle.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:56 am 

According to Bob's advice, we can put a mirror in the half way of the deserved target distance you want to zero your scope in, and you can use the mirror to adjust your sight picture to make sure everything is prefect... Want to do that at a long time, however it's so funny I don't have a 'portable' mirror in the house to do that! :facepalm:

Sent from my S9 via Tapatalk

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:52 am 

I see no sand bags or rests, I would be putting the gun on something solid while sighting in. Then you can do all the offhand stuff later.

You can get some sand bags under $20 off amazon.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:58 am 

wow luna you got a nice shooting area there. was the cat your spotter.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:07 am 

replicacanada wrote:
I see no sand bags or rests, I would be putting the gun on something solid while sighting in. Then you can do all the offhand stuff later.

You can get some sand bags under $20 off amazon.

Why spend 20$, when there a perfectly good backpack sitting there. Plus it's a range, I'm sure there is a sand bag there. I often use my range bag alot as a rest. Heck my rest at home for my airguns is my hand made into a fist on the table and forearm sitting on it, or my elbows.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:51 pm 

The rounded top of the rail makes it impossible to use some rings. If the bottom of the ring is flat and it does not clear the curve, I would not use them. Look from the rear of the gun under the rings. If it touches the curve, then you will be rotating around the curve; not good. You need rings that clear that rounded section, not by much, but definitely clear of it. From there, you can take some of the other advice, such as using the levels to make sure the gun and scope are level as you tighten the rings onto the tube.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:30 am 

Mac wrote:
The rounded top of the rail makes it impossible to use some rings. If the bottom of the ring is flat and it does not clear the curve, I would not use them. Look from the rear of the gun under the rings. If it touches the curve, then you will be rotating around the curve; not good. You need rings that clear that rounded section, not by much, but definitely clear of it. From there, you can take some of the other advice, such as using the levels to make sure the gun and scope are level as you tighten the rings onto the tube.

Some rings you can flip the claw making them sit better. And avoiding that cock-eyed sitting ring. My case on my Crosman.

But even with a cock-eyed ring, if you don't level the scope it won't matter if the rings are fitting perfect. And if you don't tighten the clamp evenly on the scope. You'll get the same result. A scope that will rotate in the ring.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:17 am 

leadslinger wrote:
But even with a cock-eyed ring, if you don't level the scope it won't matter if the rings are fitting perfect. And if you don't tighten the clamp evenly on the scope. You'll get the same result. A scope that will rotate in the ring.

Certainly did not disagree with your setup in any way.

Did not want to repeat things you already said.

A cock-eyed ring is not what you want; it will result in a scope that is not in line with the bore. This will make it accurate at only one distance as the line of sight goes across the bore at an angle. To have a good gun, decent scope and bad rings does not make much sense. I pretty well use Leupold, BKL and Sport Match. I do have the one piece RWS Zero recoil rings on my two TX competition guns, but they have been customized to eliminate all wiggle that the stock ones have.

So, with regards to setup, I think we pretty much use the same method. Rings that do not fit as they should, for me at least, is something I will not tolerate.