Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:23 pm 

Anyone knows spring action air rifle which is no license required for beginner?

Thank you

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:54 pm 

Your first post, pz - welcome. Canadian tire has some non-firearm air guns for sale.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:55 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Your first post, pz - welcome. Canadian tire has some non-firearm air guns for sale.

Any air gun with spring action, not fan of air powered, no license required for beginner?

thanks again

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:46 pm 

There are tonnes of options for non-pal air rifles out there. It really comes down to your budget and what you want it for plinking, basement shooting, small pest control.

My first air rifle was Benjamin Trail which is a nitro piston in place of a spring piston. Shoots great after I replaced the plastic barrel washers and put a half decent scope on it. Although truth be told I haven't shot it for a long time.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:57 pm 

pz771114 wrote:
Daryl wrote:

Any air gun with spring action, not fan of air powered, no license required for beginner?

thanks again

No sure what you are referring to as a spring action.
your title says it all, I think, spring action (powered) air rifle.
[Any spring action air rifle for beginner?]

Cdn. Tire sells them, all non-firearms as they are all under the firearm designation "restriction" of being under 500fps.
The criminal code actually reads that to not be a firearm, the gun must shoot <500fps and 4.2fpe. If it shoots over 500fps, it must be producing under 4.2fpe with THAT pellet.
Thus, most .22's or especially any .25 calibre air rifles are actually over 4.2fpe, but if under 500fps, thus are designated as a non-firearms. Most stores or private individuals will not sell
ANY pellet or BB air rifle or air powered handguns to someone under 18yrs. of age.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:42 am 

Hi PZ,

Please get your PAL ASAP as it will really open up your options. Without a PAL, your only options are short range paper punchers. We need more info. What do you intend to do with the rifle (now or eventually)? Also, no price range was mentioned but if you're in this for the long term, well... buy once, cry once.

If you can wait a bit more, D&L will be receiving a new shipment of Weihrauchs this spring. Get a Non-PAL Weihrauch. Then get your PAL. Then get an aftermarket kit to bring your rifle to either 12fpe or full power. Weihrauchs along with AirArms really are among the best springers you can buy. Once you get your PAL you're almost guaranteed to ignore whatever for, lack of a better word, entry level rifle you bought in favor of your Weihrauch (or AirArms, Diana, etc.). Buy once, cry once. Another option when you get your PAL is to get a German/English clone and get it worked over by a tuner. It will produce more than decent results.

Here's some groups from my very first German springer, a former 495fps HW77k (my very first airgun ever was a 495fps Stoeger X5 that is now just gethering dust). A better shooter can shrink this even more. The 77 has been fitted with an aftermarket kit (just a more powerful spring and better fitting guides) and is now so much better to shoot. All things considered, it more than competes with a 97 that has a more radical modification. The 97 consistently prints loonie sized groups at 50m (but has a lighter titanium pistion to reduce recoil and delrin bearings to make sure there's no metal to metal contact). The 77 can produce just slightly larger than loonie groups. A 495fps Weihrauch will be a rifle that will grow with you and will last a lifetime. All groups are 10shot.

Buy once, cry once.

- 77 and 97
- two 97 groups

PS: Sorry, just felt the need to add this. Without knowing what your financial situation is and with everything happening around us, it may not be the best time to get a German springer right now. If you've got some cash saved up, go for it.

Attachments:
77and97_1.png
77and97_1.png [ 575.9 KiB | Viewed 391 times ]
77and97_2.png
77and97_2.png [ 655.44 KiB | Viewed 391 times ]
77and97_3.png
77and97_3.png [ 666.32 KiB | Viewed 391 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:37 am 

Trying not to discourage you. But be aware that spring or nitro piston airguns. Require some practice to shoot them accuracy. Due to the piston slamming forward. Also gun hasn't be held lightly. So don't expect to pick one up and start shooting bullseyes right away.

I know they discourage people alot. Because they expect to shoot bullseyes, and they don't and blame the gun/scope. Just need some practice. But Sub 500 fps would be the best to train on, due to softer spring, slower piston, thus less movement.

Princess auto had Chinese airguns for 34$. Would be a good basic starter rifle, to learn the basics on.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:34 am 

I agree with what Leadslinger said.

In my experience, one of the 1st airguns I bought, when I got back into airgunning, was a Chinese break barrel pellet rifle with real wood stocks. I picked up at Princess Auto, on sale for $25. It was dead on accurate right out of the box. Great way to start.

I have since gone on to buy many more guns including .22 break barrels, but still pick up my original PA break barrel once in a while. Still one of my most accurate shooters. May not be the fanciest or have the best finish, but is very functional.

Also, regarding the question of whether or not to get your PAL. My opinion is maybe wait. There are many non-PAL air rifles on the market for you to choose from. After you get a handle on the sport, and decided what your goals are (i.e., plinking, serious target shooting, hunting, etc.) then you can make the PAL decision.

Above all, have fun. That is the main thing.

And, be warned, this sport can be additive. It takes a strong person to just buy one airgun.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:43 pm 

Anything under 500 fps (speed of the pellet/bb) does not require a PAL.

Everything at Canadian tire (in my experience) is under that rating, so non-pal. If you try to buy one that is over 500 fps, the retailer will ask for your pal and if you don' have one, they can't legally sell you a rifle over 500 fps.

If you are just wanting to plink targets in your back yard, a non-pal rifle will be fine. In fact, many competition air rifles shoot down around 500-600 fps.

Without a PAL though, you are limiting yourself as to how high a quality rifle you can buy.

Spring/break barrel rifles can be challenging for a beginner, but not impossible. Read up on the "artillery hold" and springer rifles. Google will get you more returns on those subjects than you can ever read in a couple weeks....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:44 pm 

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/cros ... p.html#srp

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:04 pm 

pz771114 wrote:

thanks again

topic85359.html
pz771114 wrote:
my air rifile is this one

https://www.airgunsource.ca/us/crosman- ... 5-fps.html

Great choice for a first air rifle!
Advice is to clean the barrel right now before you shoot too many pellets, then get a selection of pellets and see which one it likes. As you are new to spring powered rifles, it will take you some practice before you will get pellets in a 1" circle - so that will be your first challenge. After that you can try different pellets until you can make one hole about the size of a dime. Good luck, and happy shooting. :drinkers:

Duke ))))----//----------==

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:24 pm 

This was one of my first pellet tests with an HW97, in .177, shot at 20 yards.
In this test of different pellets, I found the JSB Cometa .451mm 8.44gr. .177 pellets were the best in my rifle.
Others shot quite well, too, but the JSB's were the best.
A rifle identical to mine in every way, can and may have a different preference in pellets.
If you click on the target, it will enlarge so you can see what each pellet used, did.

Attachments:
IMG_2806.JPG
IMG_2806.JPG [ 117.78 KiB | Viewed 210 times ]
HW97 20 yards.jpg
HW97 20 yards.jpg [ 65.5 KiB | Viewed 211 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:42 pm 

Why is everone sending him to Canadian Tire? The land of overpriced cheap airguns!

We have so many great online dealers who sell better quality stuff for sometimes a more reasonnable price.

https://dlairgun.com/
https://www.airgunsource.ca/fc/
the forum store etc

A Diana 24 would be a great first airgun

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:50 pm 

You are right, Doc. My bad. It was 'handy' to note.
You are right, the Diana 24 would be a good, first gun.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:40 pm 

DocGadget wrote:
Why is everone sending him to Canadian Tire? The land of overpriced cheap airguns!

We have so many great online dealers who sell better quality stuff for sometimes a more reasonnable price.

https://dlairgun.com/
https://www.airgunsource.ca/fc/
the forum store etc

A Diana 24 would be a great first airgun

ya but...He already bought his first air rifle, a Phantom from Airgun Source. So at best you can give advice on his second one.

Duke ))))----//----------==