Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:17 pm 

I just recently started shooting airguns again. I was at the local Canadian Tire and saw what was labelled a "marksman QB78" but the box actually says "Beeman QB78" in .177. The rifle is just beautiful but I'm having a small amount of trouble with it.

I primarily shoot 10m paper targets and I'm having trouble consistent results. I usually hit anywhere between 6 and 10 on the target ring in prone, but which quadrant it hits seems almost random. I shoot with the included iron sights. My crosman backpacker in .22 with a basic peep sight is considerably more accurate and precise where typically I'm within the 9/10 ring when prone. Often I can stack pellets with that rifle.

I'm not sure if it's the cold having a variable effect on the CO2, if it's me still getting used to the rifle, if it's the slightly windy conditions we've had the past few days, or if I just haven't found the right pellet for it.

Does anyone here own a QB78 in .177 and what is your experience with the rifle? Have you found a "favourite pellet" for the rifle? I really love the looks of this rifle but I find myself slightly disappointed in it's results at the moment compared to my Crosman 2289.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:22 pm 

Hello fellow Nova Scotian.. I would say that the temp and wind would be a major factor. I was shooting out in the Valley and I was getting mad fliers from the wind.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:26 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
Hello fellow Nova Scotian.. I would say that the temp and wind would be a major factor. I was shooting out in the Valley and I was getting mad fliers from the wind.

You're likely right. My Crosman is probably doing better as it's .22. It's been a long time since I've shot .177 - wind is probably pushing them around more than the heavier pellets.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:27 pm 

Trevor wrote:
leadslinger wrote:

You're likely right. My Crosman is probably doing better as it's .22. It's been a long time since I've shot .177 - wind is probably pushing them around more than the heavier pellets.

What pellets are you using? Wadcutters as you know will be effected by the wind more.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:32 pm 

Yep, and try a few different pellets. No telling which one it'll like without testing. I had a QB that liked the PA Grizzly pellets - stacked them single hole at 10 yd. It spat JSBs all over, but loved the Grizzles.
I also bought the Beeman QB78 from CT a few yrs ago, but I converted it to shoot .22. I don't remember which pellet it liked stock as .177. I do know it had a favorite pellet and would stack them at 10yds as well. So, buy a few pellets, and test indoors no wind and room temperature (near 70F is good) to see what it likes. Good luck.
BTW, these convert easily to HPA from a bottle, shoots really consistent on HPA.

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:51 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
Trevor wrote:
leadslinger wrote:

What pellets are you using? Wadcutters as you know will be effected by the wind more.

Since I've just purchased the rifle I've used a variety of pellets. These included;

JSB Match Diabolo (I had an old tester pack of these)
1) exact
2) exact heavy
3) exact RS
4) exact straton

Gamo Match Diabolo
Gamo TS-10

Crosman Premier
1) wadcutter
2) destroyer
3) hollow point
4) pointed
5) domed field

I probably got the best results out of the Gamo TS-10 with the exact RS and crosman wadcutters coming in a close second.

I should add that I'm having trouble getting the rifle to sight in. I have the rear site ramped up to it's higher setting but it's still tending to hit near the bullseye or lower. Rarely, if ever am I shooting too high.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:08 pm 

Clean and recrown, they are usually very dirty inside and with temperatures not being optimal for co2 I would give 1 min at the very least between shots

Steve

Walther Falcon .25
Benji XL 1100

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:09 pm 
Supporting Members

How is the end of the barrel? If its not perfect you will get changing trajectory as the pellet leaves the barrel. Check for burrs or unevenness.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:49 pm 

notec wrote:
How is the end of the barrel? If its not perfect you will get changing trajectory as the pellet leaves the barrel. Check for burrs or unevenness.

I'm not sure I'd know what to look for. There's no visible defects or physical debris. It looks quite smooth. I'm sure that the barrel is lined with graphite/lead from the pellets that I've shot but I've heard pellet rifle barrels don't need to be cleaned anywhere near as often as a firearm's would. At this point I've probably put no more than 180 pellets down it's barrel. Do you think I'd need to clean it this early? I've only used 6 CO2 cartridges in it at this point (it takes two CO2 cartridges at a time so three changes at this point). I have been lubricating the ends of the CO2 cartridges before installing them as they suggest to in the manual.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:51 pm 

barbas929 wrote:
Clean and recrown, they are usually very dirty inside and with temperatures not being optimal for co2 I would give 1 min at the very least between shots

Steve

Not sure what "recrowning" is. Could you explain?

Giving at least one minute between each shot-
I definitely have NOT been doing this. Maybe this is the culprit? I fire and reload and shoot again without pause. So waiting longer let's the rifle have time to do what? This is my first CO2 powered rifle. Everything before has been multipump pneumatic or a spring powered rifle.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:59 pm 

All barrels, especially Chinese, should be cleaned before pellet testing. They get loaded up with all sorts of crud at the factory. So yes, give it a clean with a half dozen wet patches followed by as many dry ones that it takes to clean out all the brown. It will lead up again soon enough. I sometimes cut the ends off Qtips and shoot them through as the dry patches. If a dry Q tip pushed in and out of the muzzle doesn't leave any strands behind, it likely doesn't have burrs. And if it looks centered and round, likely doesn't need a re crown at least not as a first step. Clean, warm, slow shooting without wind should get you the right pellet choice.

Re crowning needs some specialized equipment, easily home made, and easily done. Google will show you how. And the CO2 needs to come up to ambient temperature to build up consistent pressure. The pressure drops as temperature drops, and the release of pressure causes the gun internals to cool off. So waiting a minute allows the internals to reach ambient temp between shots, and should give consistent pressure and fps.

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:10 pm 

Dukemeister wrote:
All barrels, especially Chinese, should be ckeaned before pellet testing. They get loaded up with all sorts of crud at yhe factory. Do yes, give it a clean with a half dozen wet patches followed by as many dry ones tgat it takes to ckean out all the brown. It will lead up again soon enough. I ssometimes cut the ends off Qtips and shoot them throgh as the dry patches. If a dry Q tip pussed in and out of yhe muzzle oesnt leave any strands behind, it likely doesn't have burrs. And if it looks centered and round, likely doesn't need a recriwn at least not as a first step. Clean, warm, slow shooting eithout wind should get you the right pellet choice.

I'll have to go out and get the gear to clean a .177 barrel. I only have one that will do a .22. I do have some of those rws cleaning pellets. I thought you just shot them through the barrel of the gun but apparently you have to push them through with a cleaning rod, which I don't have. How can it hurt to shoot a cleaning pellet through either a CO2 or multipump air rifle? I thought a dry fire only harmed spring and gas ram airguns.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:11 pm 

Location: Southern Gulf Islands, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
Hi Trevor,

Welcome back!

I own two QB78's, one stock and one modified to high velocity HPA, both in .22 calibre. For sure performance with CO2 at lower temperatures is going to be compromised, as velocity will drop. Further cooling of the barrel after each shot will have your velocity falling off further, with POI shifting all over the places as a result. What ambient temperatures are you shooting at? Waiting at least a minute between shots is very good advice. Do you own a Chronograph by which you can check FPS? I second Steve's recommendation (barbas929) of a thorough cleaning as well. This member has allot of experience with the QB78.

My HPA modified 78 remains far more accurate over multiple shots than the CO2 version, but keeps me tethered to a regulated HPA tank (which is fine for bench-rest FT). I like the CO2 version however for it's portability.

BTW, JSB Exact Diabolo's are the pellet of choice across the board in terms of my particular rifle collection, .25, .22 and .177 inclusive. I did experience a JSB Exact accuracy issue once with a pack of pellets with deformed skirts, and another issue where various weights of pellets somehow got mixed up together in one tin -these are two secondary causes for inconsistent performance, which might be worth investigating.

Cheers!

Avianmanor

*Air Arms S510 Extra*Artemis M11 MK II*CZ 200S*Benjamin Marauder*Brocock Concept*Cometa Orion*Daystate Huntsman*Daystate Revere*FX Dreamline*FX Streamline*Hatsan BT65*Kral Puncher*Reximex RPA*QB78D*Weihrauch HW100S*Artemis PP700SA*PP750*Snowpeak CP1-M*

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:23 pm 

Trevor wrote:
I'll have to go out and get the gear to clean a .177 barrel. I only have one that will do a .22. I do have some of those rws cleaning pellets. I thought you just shot them through the barrel of the gun but apparently you have to push them through with a cleaning rod, which I don't have. How can it hurt to shoot a cleaning pellet through either a CO2 or multipump air rifle? I thought a dry fire only harmed spring and gas ram airguns.

You can shoot patches through a PCP, pumper, or CO2 without issues. They fly pretty quick. If you use a push rod on a QB you either have to remove the barrel or push from the muzzle backwards. Alternatively, make yourself a weed whacker pull through and cut up an old cotton T-shirt into 1" squares and pull the patches through breach to muzzle. Soak the first 4 to 6 patches in Goo Gone (in case you forgot the procedure, being out of it for 6 yrs), then use the dry ones till they come out clean. I like barrel cleaning, its therapeutic. Trouble is you really only need to clean infrequently, and unless you get a new gun the cleaning kit sits idle... the remedy of course is get a new gun. :drinkers:

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:02 pm 

Avianmanor wrote:
Hi Trevor,

What ambient temperatures are you shooting at? Waiting at least a minute between shots is very good advice. Do you own a Chronograph by which you can check FPS? I second Steve's recommendation (barbas929) of a thorough cleaning as well. This member has allot of experience with the QB78.
Avianmanor

I've been shooting anywhere between -6 and +6 C. Some days are windy and some days aren't. I'll shoot a few cleaning pellets through for now and once my self-isolation is done I'll go pick up the tools to clean it properly.

As for a chronograph- No, I don't have one. It'd be a neat thing to have but I'd rather put my money into another rifle or pistol. I'd really like to get that Webley Mk vi service revolver, .177 pellet edition or one insanely awesome biathalon style rifle. However, I'm also going to get my firearms safety course so that opens a whole new hobby there. Probably join a range and rent a rifle locker there. All in good time though. No rush for that.