Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:48 pm 

So after chastising my soon to be father in law for keeping both .177 and .22 pellets in the same area. I believe I may have fired a .177 out of his new springer .22 that I was working on. I feel really bad probably as a result of the firearms training I have received in the past. Whats done is done. I realized right away before the next shot and cleared and inspected the barrel which didn't seem to show any issue although I think I will look at it again when I get an opportunity. I know far more about carbines than air rifles so I did a quick google search and apparently nobody else has done this(of my googlefu is inadequate). My guess some possibilities may be damage to the barrel as the pellet bounces around along with damage to seal if the back pressure wasn't sufficient. It was a one off thing but wondered if anybody wanted to chime in with whether I should tear down the gun and what to inspect for.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:53 am 

No damages to the barrel are to be expected, a lead pellet will cause no harm to a steel barrel. If the rifle is powered by a steel coil spring, the spring may have suffered, or not (the seal should be fine). If the rifle has a gas ram, you should be fine.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:59 am 

Don't sweat it. And no point of doing a full tear down. Firing one 177 pellet, from a 22 won't damage the gun. Now repeated would. Lead is softer than steel and wouldn't effect the barrel.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:44 pm 

Thanks for the information folks. That's great. I guess the only other thing to mention was I swear I heard a fairly distinctive crack definitely some very brief time after I felt the little odd recoil that springers have. Its weird to hear that sound with how quiet the air rifles are compared to a normal rifle. If I didn't think it was possible I would swear the pellet went supersonic.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:50 pm 

Fire for effect wrote:
Thanks for the information folks. That's great. I guess the only other thing to mention was I swear I heard a fairly distinctive crack definitely some very brief time after I felt the little odd recoil that springers have. Its weird to hear that sound with how quiet the air rifles are compared to a normal rifle. If I didn't think it was possible I would swear the pellet went supersonic.

Since a 177 pellet would slide down the barrel of the 22, it wouldn't be able to really get any velocity. The noise you heard. That's probably due to the grease or whatever you used to tune the gun. It's called dieseling. Basically a explosion. Guns will do that for awhile since companies love to pack the preservation oil on while it is in storage.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:39 pm 

Now that you mention it, I have loaded .177 into .22 before - but I do remember them falling out the muzzle. I have the habit of pointing muzzle down after loading, and before shouldering to aim. One dry fire, as others have said, is unlikely to have done damage to the seal or spring and definitely didn't damage the barrel. Be careful, mistakes can be costly which is why we practice ACTS and PROVE every time. So I'm not sure how those dents got in the ductwork... :oops: :shock:

Duke ))))----//----------==

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:45 pm 

i'm pretty sure you dry fired it
as mentioned a 177 pellet will slide down and out the barrel
you probably didn't even notice it fell out, ether way your fine
one or two dry fires will not cause any serious damage
just don't make it a habit.... :wink: