Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Springers vs scopes
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:51 pm 

Well... my Gamo Swarm Magnum eats scopes...in spite of the recoil rail the gun came with.
It chewed up two stock scopes... so I upgraded.
I needed something to handle that double recoil...without costing more than the gun.
I opted for Bushnell Prime 3.5-10 ×36. Its a Rim fire scope with a mil dot reticle. I hope it stands up.
Any comments out there about springers vs scopes?

Post subject: Re: Springers vs scopes
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:37 pm 

I think high powered "magnum" springers are outdated.
If you need that kind of power get a PCP and a hand pump. It'll be even more powerful than a springer, and more accurate. You won't be target shooting with a magnum springer - so a well placed shot with your PCP is what you really need. For survivalists, your hand pump will last you years and years if you look after it. And with a rebuild kit it will outlast every scope you could put on an equivalent magnum springer 10x over.

Duke ))))----//----------==

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:01 pm 

Thanks Duke
I plan on getting a pcp this spring..I'm hoping to at least, considering the present situation.
Looking at Air Arms and Daystate...something that'll give me a nice 100 yd grouping.
Maybe Magnums are outdated.. or not.
But.. they are a hoot to shoot with the repeater.. plinking out at 30, 40, 50 yrds.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:21 pm 

Dukemeister wrote:
I think high powered "magnum" springers are outdated.
If you need that kind of power get a PCP and a hand pump. It'll be even more powerful than a springer, and more accurate. You won't be target shooting with a magnum springer - so a well placed shot with your PCP is what you really need. For survivalists, your hand pump will last you years and years if you look after it. And with a rebuild kit it will outlast every scope you could put on an equivalent magnum springer 10x over.

I think this is really good advice.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:09 pm 

I plink with my 10.7 ft/lb TX200 springer out to 55 yards all the time. I have had multi shot guns, but have always used them as single shots; I find they are more accurate that way. I use a springer rated scope that costs a bit more, but if a gun keeps destroying scopes, pretty soon you have spent enough to have bought the springer rated scope in the first place. I do not think a rimfire scope will stand up for long on that gun.

Maybe consider an RWS Zero Recoil mount as well. I think Leapers makes some decent springer rated scopes, Discovery and Hawke do as well. The scope on my field target gun cost more than double, almost triple, the cost of my TX and I feel it was money well spent.

When first investing in this sport, many spend a great deal of money on products that do not last very long. When you look at the money spent, a really high end gun and scope could have been bought for the same money. An example would be the 2240 modification craze that was at a peek about five or six years ago. Guys were spending well in excess of $500 to build up "The 2240". I found a Walther LP200 on sale for $500 and scooped it up; I don't care what you do to a 2240, it will never come close to a Walther LP200.

I know some like the journey and the tinkering, but if you want something that shoots lights out, well ........

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:42 pm 

I think if someone loves springer's than it's worth maybe saving a bit more and buying a quality gun, a springer doesn't have to shoot in access of a 1000fps, all the best shooting stuff I believe is below 12ft/lb, my HW97 shoots just a shade over 11ft/lb and it's very accurate.
As far as scopes, you get what you pay for, you can have a great rifle and a scope that can't hold zero.......

PCP's are nice those that you mention are great, don't leave out FX, they have fantastic stuff.

Beat of luck.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:39 pm 

Planer wrote:
Well... my Gamo Swarm Magnum eats scopes...in spite of the recoil rail the gun came with.
It chewed up two stock scopes... so I upgraded.
I needed something to handle that double recoil...without costing more than the gun.
I opted for Bushnell Prime 3.5-10 ×36. Its a Rim fire scope with a mil dot reticle. I hope it stands up.
Any comments out there about springers vs scopes?

Hi how are you.
I wanted to say my take on this. Too many variables to contend with for a successful Magnum springer - Scope relationship. So I wanted to say, coming from 40 years experience with them all. I currently enjoy " SeaBreaze's " 24 FPE ! .22cal Compact Pro style X28 Vortex tuned. I also enjoy my new .30 Cal 130 Hatsan synthetic from Canadian Airgun Supply. They both have scopes. $400 scopes is where you Start ... upgrade from there. It's a must. You can enjoy Magnum springers with a fine scope. Just like I do but I busted at least 30 scopes before I learned what I will say now. It you can tune your gun tune it. Take all the Violence out of the engine room. Next buy a Good Mount that has been used by the masses with ultimate success ,,, easy peezy so far. Next buy a $400 airgun Rated scope , no matter what. Locking and holding a P.O.I. is everything period. Only then you are in control. Next watch 100 You Tube Videos on how too mount the scope to the gun properly. There is only one way. Balance is the secrete there. Torquing the mount to the rifle and same with the scope the the mount.
Your rifle can be a Spring TX200K , HW95K all in .22cal. Smoother recoil on the scope I find in magnum trim. Also any magnum springer. If you go Gas Ram then count all your broken scopes. Unless you keep the gas rams sedate as possible. Like maybe a Hatsan 95 Vort. in .25cal or .22cal. Should be cool with all AR scopes. Our .25cal Hatsan 130 Ace and I keep trading each other shoots a Unbelievable crazy 2x4 splitting 34 FPE !!! We are afraid to scope that one. So basically different Variables here to deal with. Here we decide, to not risk it. Hope this helps Cheers !
Captain Air

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:23 am 

Mac wrote:
I plink with my 10.7 ft/lb TX200 springer out to 55 yards all the time. I have had multi shot guns, but have always used them as single shots; I find they are more accurate that way. I use a springer rated scope that costs a bit more, but if a gun keeps destroying scopes, pretty soon you have spent enough to have bought the springer rated scope in the first place. I do not think a rimfire scope will stand up for long on that gun.

Maybe consider an RWS Zero Recoil mount as well. I think Leapers makes some decent springer rated scopes, Discovery and Hawke do as well. The scope on my field target gun cost more than double, almost triple, the cost of my TX and I feel it was money well spent.

When first investing in this sport, many spend a great deal of money on products that do not last very long. When you look at the money spent, a really high end gun and scope could have been bought for the same money. An example would be the 2240 modification craze that was at a peek about five or six years ago. Guys were spending well in excess of $500 to build up "The 2240". I found a Walther LP200 on sale for $500 and scooped it up; I don't care what you do to a 2240, it will never come close to a Walther LP200.

I know some like the journey and the tinkering, but if you want something that shoots lights out, well ........

You're certainly not wrong about the journey and tinkering lol
I'm an industrial mechanic... so tinkering is what I do

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:46 pm 

Planer wrote:
You're certainly not wrong about the journey and tinkering lol
I'm an industrial mechanic... so tinkering is what I do

You are not very far away from me, so once this COVID thing passes over, which certainly could be quite some time, there are a few air gunners in this area that may enjoy getting together to do some shooting and sharing knowledge on rigs. I certainly could bring a few that people will enjoy shooting. I also have tons of different kinds of pellets and one might end up being the one your gun chooses.

I am going to bed one of my stocks as soon as I get up from here, so I know where you are coming from.

Keep safe and have fun tinkering.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:31 pm 

Not sure how relevant this is to your issue, but I've got a cheap ebay "pinty" scope on my Stoeger x20 and my Benjamin classic. They're just on dovetail mounts. Both rifles have been modified to shoot their full power ratings (ie; not the Canadian limit of under 500 fps, yes I have my PAL).

No problems with them so far and I've got (at least) a good couple hundred pellets through each one.

Maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe my springers aren't "abusive" enough to damage them. I am forever checking the mounts for tightness though. Before shooting, during shooting and after shooting during the clean up and storage.....