Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:11 pm 

Well, I've decided to build myself a shooting bench. I need something to sit at on my back porch and the lawn chairs and railings are getting a bit old. I woudl also like to be able to sit as most of my shooting is done from the standing position (bad back, hard to get much lower than a sitting position).

I looked at lots on the internet and have settled on a simple RH shooter table top. Something along these lines:

I'm undecided if I want to make the seat part of the table. I'm leaning towards a separate seat so I don't have to worry about the table top moving around under my weight/movement. Legs are planned to be folding so I can fold it up and store it off to the side on the deck where it won't get in the way. Top will be big enough to hold a rifle mount (properly constructed for springers) as well as a spotter scope. Likely to add a few "cubbies" to hold things like my shoot calculator, ens, note pads, pellets, co2 cylinders, etc. Just a couple "catch all" spots so things are rolling around loose.

The rifle stand I'm going to machine myself, likely in aluminum. I plan to build it to hold both air rifles/pistols and center fire rifles. Obviously, the "clamping" system will have to be different for each type, so the front mount will be "swap-able". Not to worry; the front mount for my springers will probably be the "paint roller" type mount to allow the rifle to kick around like springers are wont to do.

No pics yet. I've got some oak on the gluing table right now in order to make the top.

Pics will come as I get further on...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:29 pm 

Nice, but how come you have green grass and liquid water in your pool? Jealous much! I shoot off my deck railing...

Attachments:
My end of  march.jpg
My end of march.jpg [ 316.65 KiB | Viewed 405 times ]

Duke ))))----//----------==

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:35 pm 

Dukemeister wrote:
Nice, but how come you have green grass and liquid water in your pool? Jealous much! I shoot off my deck railing...

Same. He is in the same province and my backyard looked like that yesterday.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:58 pm 

Built the top today:

Thats some “reclaimed” oak. I added a “lip” around the edges so things won’t roll off and it also makes it look nice and “chunky”. I welded up a frame from 1” square tube and attached it to the underside for added strength and weight. It will also give me a place to attach legs.

The stain is “red oak” and I left it to dry overnight.

Tomorrow it will get a nice coat of urethane and then its on to making the legs for it. I decided against making the seat part of the table, I plan to just use a stool. Seat as part of the table means it has to be much stronger (ie: heavier) and theres always the chance of me bumping or moving it when I either get up or sit down..

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:27 pm 

You need a bbq cover to cover it when not in use. Thats too nice to leave out in the weather. If you do it might be an idea to add a couple small holes in the corners to let the water drain.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:36 am 

rob g wrote:
You need a bbq cover to cover it when not in use. Thats too nice to leave out in the weather. If you do it might be an idea to add a couple small holes in the corners to let the water drain.

Good idea, but my porch is covered so no need for a cover other than protection from sun fading.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:16 pm 

Finished the folding legs today:

The legs are actually angled a but forward and rearward. Doesn’t show in the picture for some reason. Ot probably just the camera angle thats hiding the angle on the legs.

Next I’m thinking of putting a copper inlay around the table top. Not much, just about a 10 gauge wire size. I was thinking of doing it in brass, but brass is just too expensive.

I’ll finish it ho with a few coat of varithane and then start on the gun rest....

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:40 pm 

I think u need and umbrella mount on that table

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:43 pm 

Good looking bench. Here's mine. I've been using this bench for about 15 years now.
Bottom picture is when I built it. The legs are a set of folders, from Canadian Tire.
Top picture is out gopher shooting using it. I've shot over 2,000 gophers from this
one location. over a period of 4 years.

Attachments:
Gophers2009007.jpg
Gophers2009007.jpg [ 146.39 KiB | Viewed 209 times ]
new bench 1.JPG
new bench 1.JPG [ 124.48 KiB | Viewed 209 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:47 pm 

Working on the rifle rest:

That’s just a very basic start. The rifle rest will be on the standing aluminum cylinder. It will be a screw jack for height adjustment. There will be another screw jack at the rear for fine adjustments on elevation. It will also be adjustable for windage. The front mount allows both those movements. It pivots up and down on the upper bolts on the front mount and it will swing left/right by pivoting on the bolt you see in the close up of the front mount.

Still a long way to go, but its a good start.

:)

Last edited by great white on Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:10 pm 

I figured it might be hard to picture how a rifle will sit on that stand, so I dropped my Benjamin on it for a quick pic to give some idea of what it will look like:

Like I said, long way to go yet but its a good start.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:34 pm 

That will be cool. The screw jack on the rest on my bench out in the field was made entirely by a friend, gears in top and bottom pivots and all.
I think he did use all-thread for the screw, but a 1" long nut for the guiding thread.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:34 pm 

Coming along:

Thats the “plinth” attached with the raising screw and knob installed. I’m toying with the ideas for a lock. I can either make another “knob” that I can screw down and lock the screw jack, or I can drill and tap for a screw in the side of the plinth. Have to think on it a bit more....

Next up is the rest of the knobs/handles:

Thats a 2” piece of 6061, knurled, drilled and tapped for 7/16 NC. When I get back to it, I’ll part off a half an inch at a time to make more turning knobs.

This bad boy showed up today too:

Spotter scope. Up to 60x magnification. Works fine on 40-60x to see the pellet impacts on my back yard targets.

My backyard shooting range is coming together nicely...:)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:01 pm 

Good stuff. Now I'm inspired - think I'll make a shooting table too.
You got some serious toys at your disposal there great white.

Duke ))))----//----------==

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:35 pm 

Little closer every day:

Slow but steady progress!

I’ve hit a bit of a stop though. My argon bottle ran out and the welding store isn’t open until Monday now...