Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:04 pm 

Well its here! The Umarex Legends M1A1 CO2 Full Auto .177 BB gun.

Mike at Replica Airguns has done a table top review.

https://www.replicaairguns.ca/videos/6998sI04hNo

I got mine on Monday & have tried it out twice since then.

Amazing BB gun. Lots of fun to use in both full auto & semi auto. Nice accuracy, even in full auto, for a smooth barrel BB gun. Although both sights are fixed, I found it to be accurate with very little adjustment to POA needed.

Easy to use, did not experience any BB jams at all. I only used Black Diamond BB & Umarex CO. Like the MP40, make sure you tighten the CO2 cap, so that you pierce both cartridges. Try to listen for 2 punctures.

I can load the 30 shot magazine in a couple of seconds using the Umarex speedloader.

Nice feature, it comes with sling mounts, that worked real nicely with a spare sling strap I had from my M1 carbine. Adds to the WWII realism.

Got approx. 5 magazines (around 150 shots) for the dual CO2s, shooting a combination of full & semi auto.

All in all, nice BB plinker, and the full auto adds to the fun factor. Could use a couple of spare magazines, as you can dump the full 30 shots in a couple of seconds using full auto.

Please note, this is a realistic copy of the M1A1 version of the Thompson sub machine gun. That is the final version the US Army had made for it, near the end of WWII. It is a bit different that the original 1920's Tommy gun (aka the Chicago typewriter) with the round magazine and wood fore handle pistol grip. The original M1A1 was not made to accept the round magazine.

Also remember, it's a BB plinker, not a target gun or critter killer. So if you are looking to fill either of those two purposes, it's not for you. If you are looking for some serious tin can killing full auto fun, it's your weapon of choice.

Is it better than the MP40? Hard to answer that. Sort of like asking which is better a M16 or AK47, or Coke vs Pepsi.

Both the M1A1 & the MP40 are great guns & a blast to use on full auto. My answer. Buy both. That's what I did. That way you can't go wrong.

Just be careful, it can be addictive. You can easily go thru a box of CO2 & a bottle of BB's before you realize it.

Only real complaint, although the faux wood furniture looks very realistic, the stock has a plastic hollow sound to it. Either real wood, or filling in the stock, would have been an improvement.

My recommendation: A must buy if you are into WWII full auto BB replicas.

Finally, due to all the supply chain issues arising from the ongoing Corona virus, may be sold out soon (as per Michael at Replica). Both Replica & AGS currently has it in stock.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:59 pm 

Take a closer look at these close ups of a real Auto-Ordnance, Thompson M1A1.

https://www.icollector.com/Prohib-12-2- ... ec=1854670

Other than the real wood stocks, almost indistinguishable from the Umarex BB gun. Esp. the safety, fire selector switches, magazine release and sights.

https://www.replicaairguns.ca/umarex-le ... l-bb-rifle

Bravo to Umarex for making such realistic replicas of classic firearms.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:09 pm 

Hi,

Excellent review BB1Shooter. :D

I got mine earlier this week, as well.

I am very impressed with the build quality and overall a great plinker. My only (minor) complaint is that the furniture is not a close colour match to the WW2 Thompsons. The Walnut wood had a stain that was dark brown, slightly reddish in appearance. I was hoping to replace the Umarex wood with a King Arms wood kit. However, I cannot find any in stock. Also, the mounting holes on the handguard and stock do not match, so you would have to fill them and re-drill the holes. I have a King Arms wood kit on my airsoft, but I want to keep that intact.

gunsnrows

The Umarex is on the left, King Arms is on the right

Attachments:
Thompson Twins, 041820-02.jpg
Thompson Twins, 041820-02.jpg [ 222.09 KiB | Viewed 3005 times ]
Thompson Twins, 041820-01.jpg
Thompson Twins, 041820-01.jpg [ 187.92 KiB | Viewed 3005 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 8:41 pm 

Hi, :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_8qLFoMzl4

gunsnrows

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 8:43 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiA-fh3fHRc

gunsnrows

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:03 pm 

As per my prior review, my only minor complaint was the hollow sound of the faux wood stock.

I looked online, but could not seem to find a real wood stock kit for it.

As I was reading some other reviews on the Pyramyd site, got the idea to stuff the butt stock with clean heavy rags (old sweatshirt). It was easy to do, just remove 2 screws on the butt plate. I used a screwdriver to compact them into the stock.

It worked perfectly. Now the stock sounds much more solid, esp. when the included metal sling mount rattles against the stock. Also adds a little more weight to make it feel more substantial & better balanced.

A review on the Pyramyd site recommend using dynomat (a sound dampening material). I found all you needed was heavy cloth rags & stuff them in.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:27 pm 

Great review BB1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:20 pm 

BB1Shooter wrote:
Well its here! The Umarex Legends M1A1 CO2 Full Auto .177 BB gun.

Mike at Replica Airguns has done a table top review.

https://www.replicaairguns.ca/videos/6998sI04hNo

I got mine on Monday & have tried it out twice since then.

Amazing BB gun. Lots of fun to use in both full auto & semi auto. Nice accuracy, even in full auto, for a smooth barrel BB gun. Although both sights are fixed, I found it to be accurate with very little adjustment to POA needed.

Easy to use, did not experience any BB jams at all. I only used Black Diamond BB & Umarex CO. Like the MP40, make sure you tighten the CO2 cap, so that you pierce both cartridges. Try to listen for 2 punctures.

I can load the 30 shot magazine in a couple of seconds using the Umarex speedloader.

Nice feature, it comes with sling mounts, that worked real nicely with a spare sling strap I had from my M1 carbine. Adds to the WWII realism.

Got approx. 5 magazines (around 150 shots) for the dual CO2s, shooting a combination of full & semi auto.

All in all, nice BB plinker, and the full auto adds to the fun factor. Could use a couple of spare magazines, as you can dump the full 30 shots in a couple of seconds using full auto.

Please note, this is a realistic copy of the M1A1 version of the Thompson sub machine gun. That is the final version the US Army had made for it, near the end of WWII. It is a bit different that the original 1920's Tommy gun (aka the Chicago typewriter) with the round magazine and wood fore handle pistol grip. The original M1A1 was not made to accept the round magazine.

Also remember, it's a BB plinker, not a target gun or critter killer. So if you are looking to fill either of those two purposes, it's not for you. If you are looking for some serious tin can killing full auto fun, it's your weapon of choice.

Is it better than the MP40? Hard to answer that. Sort of like asking which is better a M16 or AK47, or Coke vs Pepsi.

Both the M1A1 & the MP40 are great guns & a blast to use on full auto. My answer. Buy both. That's what I did. That way you can't go wrong.

Just be careful, it can be addictive. You can easily go thru a box of CO2 & a bottle of BB's before you realize it.

Only real complaint, although the faux wood furniture looks very realistic, the stock has a plastic hollow sound to it. Either real wood, or filling in the stock, would have been an improvement.

My recommendation: A must buy if you are into WWII full auto BB replicas.

Finally, due to all the supply chain issues arising from the ongoing Corona virus, may be sold out soon (as per Michael at Replica). Both Replica & AGS currently has it in stock.

I just ordered this model. I'd like to change the color of the faux wood also. I've seen this model from another company that makes it as a electric powered airsoft mode that the faux wood parts are black and I like that look better. But I don't believe the "wood" parts mount exactly the same as the UMAREX Legends model, and the airsoft model has the battery in the stock so the parts are likely not interchangeable. But I believe the "wood" pieces on the UMAREX M1A1 should be able to be Cerakoted, wrapped or dipped. I'm looking into that now.