Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 11:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:25 am 

Doc Sharptail wrote:
Nice work, Airmec! You closet machinist, you! :wink: :mrgreen:

Are we looking at a quad seal system here?

-D.S.

LOL! Thank you Doc! No quad seals here, but a classic poppet valve configuration. There are two lead seals for the valve body, and the poppet and check valve had rubber seals in a quite distant past :) . Benjamin also used two springs separated by a washer, instead of just one like Crosman did (in the model 120 rifle, among others). I'll make the new seals in teflon, and the lead seals can be salvaged.

Hey BTW, VERY nice oldie you got there sir! Wish you good luck to find some old wood to match, these classics need to be preserved :wink: .

Cheers!

Attachments:
310_valve parts_2.JPG
310_valve parts_2.JPG [ 60.52 KiB | Viewed 831 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:55 am 

A new garden target?!Image

Sent from my S9 via Tapatalk

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:34 pm 

I started to make the parts I'll need to rebuild my Benji 310, today I made the intake check valve and exhaust poppet. The new poppet is easily rebuildable, the end that goes into the brass cup is threaded, like on a Crosman 120. Seals are made with teflon.

Attachments:
check_valve_and_poppet_1.JPG
check_valve_and_poppet_1.JPG [ 91.27 KiB | Viewed 805 times ]
check_valve_and_poppet_2.JPG
check_valve_and_poppet_2.JPG [ 79.47 KiB | Viewed 805 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:46 am 

Interesting stuff Airmec. How does teflon compare to delrin under high air pressure?

I'm pretty sure that the 13-XX valve components crosman uses are teflon, and stand up well under "normal" pumper pressures.

I think I still may have a new delrin sealed stem in my stuff for hpa on q-b series...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:57 pm 

Doc Sharptail wrote:
Interesting stuff Airmec. How does teflon compare to delrin under high air pressure?

I'm pretty sure that the 13-XX valve components crosman uses are teflon, and stand up well under "normal" pumper pressures.

I think I still may have a new delrin sealed stem in my stuff for hpa on q-b series...

-D.S.

I know the intake check valve is teflon in a 13xx/760/M4 valve, but the poppet is not, I don't know what it's made from. And I know there are aftermarket seal kits with teflon seals, for different airguns.

I also re-sealed one of my old airgun with teflon seals both on intake and exhaust side, and so far (+/- 200 shots) no problems. Actually it sealed right on the very first pump, and the old hammer spring was more than powerful enough to make the hammer crack the valve open with no air left at ten pumps.

With delrin you have to have a perfect sealing face, otherwise you may need to'' cook'' your valve to make the seal conform to the seat, anyway in my experience.

The old seals in the 310 were made of rubber like my other oldie, so I guessed it should be OK to use teflon, for the ''normal'' pressures used in a pump airgun. The seals are also backed by a brass cup and the seats are wide and rounded, so I don't expect deformation.

Attachments:
exhaust_valve.JPG
exhaust_valve.JPG [ 46.59 KiB | Viewed 770 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:55 pm 

That is looking very good there!

Let us know how she performs.

Found my e-clip stash. I had put them away "where I could find them" which usually means trouble for me.
I had put them into my day-pack for "just in case I need them", and of course, it's the last place I looked after a good 3 hour search :rolleyes:

The old 101 is back to running up rapid heavy pressure. It takes a bit of oil to get there after the gun has sat for a while.
I'm getting a little puff of air through the trigger guard, which usually indicates the exhaust valve seal is due. Nothing major yet.
I am going to leave it as is for now, and just shoot it. Apparently the seals between the tube and valve are paper/fibre. I'd like to leave that until I have time for that project,
and remember to get some dental floss for the rear seal.

Will get a pic up of the new pin in a bit. My old s-6 phone is acting up, and the canon point and shoot is put away somewhere where I can find it...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:46 pm 

Doc Sharptail wrote:
the canon point and shoot is put away somewhere where I can find it...
-D.S.

Look in your day pack, eh. :drinkers:

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:55 pm 

Dukemeister wrote:
Doc Sharptail wrote:
the canon point and shoot is put away somewhere where I can find it...
-D.S.

Look in your day pack, eh. :drinkers:

LOL! That's where it's supposed to be.... :axe:

-D.S.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:35 pm 

Some new bits made, the valve rebuild kit is complete:

Attachments:
springs_and_gaskets.JPG
springs_and_gaskets.JPG [ 105.98 KiB | Viewed 714 times ]
valve_kit_3.JPG
valve_kit_3.JPG [ 88.87 KiB | Viewed 714 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:51 am 

I've been out of the hobby/forum for years and Covid had me make this thing and order some stuff from birdman to make some other kind of thing.

Might bring out the 38T's if the neighbors downstairs don't mind the noise.

Attachments:
2020-04-13 08.40.53.resized.jpg
2020-04-13 08.40.53.resized.jpg [ 596.18 KiB | Viewed 700 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:05 pm 

Freshly hand delivered by my 'friendly' Postman to my DOOR STEP ONLY today.
Got myself a NIB from NOS a Benjiman EB-22 and it's an exciting acquisition. Now I have to clear out the basement range-way so I can have some fun shooting this little "puppy' (Benji...it's a pun...get it ?? :lol: ).
Stay safe y'all.

Hawk-i

KRAL Puncher .177
CZ-200S lam. .177
Weihrauch HW50S Stl
Cometa Fusion .22
HatsanAT44&95 .22
FAS 6004T
Weihrauch HW44 .22
'HAVE GUN. WILL SHOOT'

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:45 pm 

Was thinking of shooting my .25 PCP's today, but loaded up my summer tires into the truck's box
and made an appointment for Friday to get them changed over. Done- now, it's time for :drinkers: :drinkers: :drinkers:
maybe more?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:27 am 

My son 3D printed a swinging target for me the other day for my upcoming birthday. It's proven suprisingly durable and a lot of fun to shoot. My boys and I also built a table out of fallen tree limbs to put a few targets on. Also, my metal silhouette targets showed up in the mail yesterday so they got a good knocking around.

My other son found a bunch of water balloons so we set one up on a long string, set it in motion like a pendulum and took turns shooting that. He also quarter filled some so that they were the size of a clementine and put it about 25 meters out. We took turns shooting at that (all our guns have iron/open sights). He was a little annoyed that I was the only one who could hit the target.

Not sure what I'd do if I didn't have my airguns to keep my occupied right now. I've already completed all the chores that I was successfully able to avoid for the past 5 years. I've noticed a lot of people breaking quarantine in my neighbourhood lately, going into the parks and basketball courts that have been closed. I'm thinking they should have bought a pellet rifle rather than risk a $900 fine. These are the people that are going to keep me in isolation, harming my business further. I think I'm going to start reporting them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:28 am 

E-clip side of the new pin...

Head side of the new pin. I cut down a socket head bolt with a long unthreaded shank, and cut away part of the head to butt up against the pivot block. It prevents the pin from turning against the brass holes and creating further wear. The unthreaded shank took a bit of turning down~ 3 or 4 thousandth's. It's amazing what can be done with an old hacksaw blade, a mill bastage file, a drill press, and various grades of wet/dry auto body paper. 8)

8 pumps with the 16.0 gr A/A (JSB) diablo domes.
Gun actually averages 572.5 f.p.s. over 10 shots with an extreme spread of 9.5 f.p.s. Very impressive performance out of a gun this old. According to the literature I've been able to get a hold of, this rifle shipped in 1938, which makes it 82 years young this year. :mrgreen:

I suppose I could wring some more velocity out of it, but the point escapes me. Why stress this old brass tube gal any further than I have to? She's fine the way it is, and 8 pumps is going to be the top end for me. I have other rifles for power, should the need arise...

That ain't bad at all for my eyes. 12 meters from a rest under the fore arm/pump handle. That is very good shooting for my un-aided eyes with the peep and blade sights...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:36 pm 

Finished another part today, the piston. Original one was in need of a new seal, but I opted to make a new piston head with a oring, and machined it to accept a felt oil wiper. I used one of these brass nut and washer for a toilet bowl cover to hold the felt. Then I made a teflon guide bushing to replace the felt on the piston base. I also finished cleaning the inside and outside of the pump tube/barrel assembly, it's ready to receive the parts! Ah and yesterday night I re-soldered two spots between the barrel and tube (late discovery :roll: )

Attachments:
New_piston_2.JPG
New_piston_2.JPG [ 61.69 KiB | Viewed 614 times ]
Resoldered_barrel.JPG
Resoldered_barrel.JPG [ 67.86 KiB | Viewed 614 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next