Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon May 17, 2021 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: HW45 accident
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:03 am 

Hello All,

stupid stupid me, an accident happened today while cocking my hw45 (0.177) to half power... i was preparing for the last shot after a 2-3hour session. While cocking the gun (and listening someone's talking...), my trigger finger somehow got to the trigger and rigth after cocking to half power, i accidentally triggered the gun. The slide hit back with an enormous power... pushing my two fingers to the frame. Pain and bruise on two finger, and a lesson for life. I think it can easily break your finger's in another situation so i can call myself lucky (beside stupid).

About the 'slide' slamming back from half-powered position, can this degrade the gun in any way?

Last edited by misfit78 on Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: HW45 accident
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:07 am 

NEVER have your finger inside the trigger guard until ready to shoot. This
"accident" should not have happened.
Glad there were no permanent injuries - a lesson to all. Proper gun handling safety is a must
for your safety and that of others.
Slamming back from 1/2 position is unlikely to damage the pistol, however with springer rifles, firing from the
open position often bends the barrel.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:16 am 

Daryl wrote:
NEVER have your finger inside the trigger guard until ready to shoot. This
"accident" should not have happened.
Glad there were no permanent injuries - a lesson to all. Proper gun handling safety is a must
for your safety and that of others.
Slamming back from 1/2 position is unlikely to damage the pistol, however with springer rifles, firing from the
open position often bends the barrel.

Yes, but even knowing this and shooting thousands of bullets before, it can happen. Never let handling your gun being a routine.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:24 am 

You're in good company:
General Jonathan Vance, Chief of the Defence Staff, today announced Lieutenant-General Mike Rouleau as the new Vice Chief of the Defence Staff. The announcement is part of the 2020 Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) General and Flag Officer (GOFO) senior appointments, promotions, and retirements.

Lt. Gen Rouleau is noted for having "accidentally" discharging a rifle in front of his troops. A blip on Rouleau’s record came when he accidentally fired a rifle while visiting troops in Iraq in 2014. He shot a bullet into the pavement less than a metre from an officer who stood beside him. No one was hurt, but Rouleau was fined $2,000 for the incident.

Stupid is as stupid does, the lucky get a second chance, and promoted.

Duke ))))----//----------==

Air guns? I have a few; but then again, too few to mention (Duke's version)
<------------ Please don't sell this person any more airguns! (Mrs Duke's version)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:16 pm 

Wow glad you are ok. Duke what a story! Great anecdote to this thread and a reminder for us all to never be complacent.

Crossman Backpacker .22
1970s Relum Telly .177
1970s Slavia Liberty .177
Crossman 357 .177

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:24 pm 

misfit78 wrote:
Hello All,

stupid stupid me, an accident happened today while cocking my hw45 (0.177) to half power... i was preparing for the last shot after a 2-3hour session. While cocking the gun (and listening someone's talking...), my trigger finger somehow got to the trigger and rigth after cocking to half power, i accidentally triggered the gun. The slide hit back with an enormous power... pushing my two fingers to the frame. Pain and bruise on two finger, and a lesson for life. I think it can easily break your finger's in another situation so i can call myself lucky (beside stupid).

About the 'slide' slamming back from half-powered position, can this degrade the gun in any way?

So the lesson is. If your shooting or handling a gun, or any object or that can be dangerous. Give it 100% your attention, or put it down. Or if someone working on some heavy equipment while its running. Don't scare them, wait for a better time to get their attention.

While overseas, I had a friend shot and killed. Because someone failed to ensure their firearm was un loaded. Ive been nearly shot before, 1 foot to the left and I would had a 9mm in my back. We all had tours, so they put more trust in the handling, or operation of having loaded guns on the range. One person cleared his pistol and fired it off in what he though was a safe direction. Why I'm anti mag disconnect safety.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:08 pm 

Yeah, that hurts!

It's also another reason we called the HW45 a beast... Still remember before when I was still trying to find a good way to shoot the HW45, I tried to lean my left hand on the door to find some support to stabilize the muzzle... When I pull the trigger, as I was fighting the gun to hold it, it's actually just a shake and pushed my left index finger on the door frame... That's really hurts!! I can imagine the feel about cutting your fingers by the gun when that happened...

Good to learn a lesson from the accident. Thanks for share.

Sent from my S9 via Tapatalk

HW 40+Extender / Scoped P3 / 45 / 75
Russian Izzy 46M
2240 14" barrel carbine
Camo Chaser long barrel carbine
PP700SA long barrel carbine

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:53 am 

I was reading an article on this topic. It said if you shoot and handle firearms regularly that you will have an accidental discharge in your life. It also had statistics on how many people are wounded or killed by police, border security etc. It was unbelievable, numbers were 30-50% accidental discharge shootings!!! The article was in the mag caliber i recall?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:12 pm 

I had one accident with my 22-250.
Shooting prone out the back of a minivan in the winter.
Set up my range, confirm backstop, all the responsible things.
Now I load the rifle up, cycle the bolt, getting it lined up resting on my backpack, go to pull the trigger and what! Trigger lock still there! So what do I do? Grab the trigger lock not thinking and boom. Sent that one into great yonder hills. :oops:

So accidents happen even if you think you got all your bases covered.

One day I was hunting with a friend. We spent all day in the bush, got back to the truck, buddy laid his rifle on his pack in the box of the truck while I turned around to go get something and kaboom! I turned back to see what he shot but he's just standing there all white as a ghost. Turns out he was just picking up his rifle and squeezed the trigger. Spent the whole frikking day packing a loaded rifle with the safety off. Shot my truck with a 30-06. Was brand new back in about 2002. Went thru the dry box, box, cab, passenger seat right around your right shoulder, the passenger door was open so I'm not sure if the bullet was fragments at that point or what, but the dash, windshield and door panel looked like it took some birdshot from 50 yards.
Long story short, he's lucky nothing vital was hit. :lol:

Now pistols, I've played with a few... Not really my thing. But I do know those moving slides and whatnot can really ruin your day if mishandled.

Glad you didn't hurt yourself too badly though. Don't feel too bad, these things happen. Just remember, as far as anyone is concerned, when handling a gun, it is always loaded.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:00 pm 

ya they teach you about that in the fire arms safety course. the teacher said he was hunting with some one and he hit the trigger by accident just by rubbing the trigger the wrong way on his jacket and he shot him self in the foot. it's not all about keeping your finger off the trigger but holding the fire arm correctly and ALWAYS controlling and pointing the muzzle in a safe direction.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:53 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
misfit78 wrote:
Hello All,

So the lesson is. If your shooting or handling a gun, or any object or that can be dangerous. Give it 100% your attention, or put it down. Or if someone working on some heavy equipment while its running. Don't scare them, wait for a better time to get their attention.

While overseas, I had a friend shot and killed. Because someone failed to ensure their firearm was un loaded. Ive been nearly shot before, 1 foot to the left and I would had a 9mm in my back. We all had tours, so they put more trust in the handling, or operation of having loaded guns on the range. One person cleared his pistol and fired it off in what he though was a safe direction. Why I'm anti mag disconnect safety.
I always thpught ipsc 's "unload and show clear " RO Command at the end of a match was a damn good one

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:52 pm 

I never had accident myself, but I witnessed one. It happened when we came back from patrol, all were dead tired. During unloading guns one fella did it in wrong order. In other words instead of dropping mag, clearing chamber and pull the trigger (dry fire) he dropped mag, pulled the trigger and fired live round. Well chamber was clear after that, no need to dryfire. Thankfully as tired as we were we all dry fired in safe direction and nobody was hit. But yes, accidents happen.