Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:28 pm 

I only shoot for good groups, not serious scoring. I use the Kruger targets from Cibles' ebay store,designated for 10m (single bull or 5 bull) and 5m single bull depending on what distance I shoot from 16 feet to 25 feet
Does it really matter if I just use the 5m regardless of distance with rifle, pistol or bb airgun? "Aim small-miss small"?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:08 pm 

Use whatever works for you depending on distance, type of sights, type of gun, eyesight, etc. I use pop cans at 8 meters with my Daisy 74 with a red dot, and a dot about the size of an aspirin at 25 meters for a scope sighted sub-moa springer. I use bingo daubers on plain paper at longer distances.
There are a few threads on this site regarding target ideas, with some excellent links for printable targets.

Nothing works and I don't know why.

Two lathes and too many projects

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:17 pm 

I have to agree with ricksplace. Shoot whatever floats your boat. I particularly like the crosman target from crosman-air-pistol-owners-forum.com. Once printed the targets are smaller with a smaller black circle for the 10/11 rings and then a white central bullseye. I just find them easier to see. On that target it says shoot how you like. The only thing not allowed is the use of a gun vise. That being said, they do suggest this target to be shot at 5m for pistols, 10 m for carbine or rifle. I think it only really makes a difference if you're competing.

In my experience the best target of all are the little yellow metal plate "chicken" silhouette targets. They're tiny and when you hit them they just fly and it's absolutely comical to watch.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:15 pm 

Usually, you will shoot the best groups by using the smallest aiming circle or bullseye that you can see fairly easy over the sights.
That is where aiming small, missing small comes into being.
The larger the target, automatically, the larger will be your groups & thus, the lower the scores.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:28 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Usually, you will shoot the best groups by using the smallest aiming circle or bullseye that you can see fairly easy over the sights.
The larger the target, automatically, the larger will be your groups & thus, the lower the scores.

Further to my post-I shoot indoors with small laser on each pistol/rifle. I affix a small white dot on the center of the bullseye and often cover the target with an overlay exposing the black rings only so my eyes will not be distracted particularly with 5 bull targets.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:08 pm 

Daryl wrote:

Right on! I consistently shoot outside at 42 yds. On the inside surface of empty cereal, rice,,, boxes, using a marker, I draw 1/2" black dots, and shoot groups
with my rifles, all scoped. Then I move to small tin cans at the same range. Great fun. RC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:48 pm 

http://printtargets.net/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:15 pm 

ten-ring wrote:
I only shoot for good groups, not serious scoring. I use the Kruger targets from Cibles' ebay store,designated for 10m (single bull or 5 bull) and 5m single bull depending on what distance I shoot from 16 feet to 25 feet
Does it really matter if I just use the 5m regardless of distance with rifle, pistol or bb airgun? "Aim small-miss small"?

Use what works for you and your circumstances.

I also buy my 10M targets from Cibles' and find they are great for 10M target shooting when scoring is important, but find they don't work as well at longer distances due to black bull-eyes when using a scope.

I have now expanded my 10M shooting with some more powerful "tack drivers" and like you am very interested in shooting good groups @ 10M, 20M, & 30M. I now simply take a piece of plain cardboard and stick on some self-adhesive reinforcements used for page support in a 3-ring binder. These have a 1/2 inch diameter with a 1/4 inch centre opening and make a good 10M target. At 20m & 30M I simply use a 3/4 inch coloured (usually red) circular circle also stuck to a plain piece of cardboard. I usually put a black poi in the centre with a Sharpie. I find 5 shot groups work well and usually put a dozen stickers on an 8 X 11 piece of cardboard.

Both of these items and several variations are readily available at Staples/Office Depot.

Bill

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:58 pm 

Attachment:
Offhand Target.png
Offhand Target.png [ 127.7 KiB | Viewed 2392 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:03 am 

targetz.com has pages of different targets - formal, informal as well as fun targets including animals.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:00 am 

I shoot fairly big basic targets. Helps eliminate me straining my eyes too much and limits the contrasting of the target blending. Less strain I put on my eye, the more enjoyable it is.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:58 am 

leadslinger wrote:
I shoot fairly big basic targets. Helps eliminate me straining my eyes too much and limits the contrasting of the target blending. Less strain I put on my eye, the more enjoyable it is.

With "printtargets" you can create any size target you like, one bull or multiple, landscape or portrait, print it and shoot it. I use cover stock when I want a stiffer target, like the sight-in targets at field target matches.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:13 am 

Mac wrote:
leadslinger wrote:

With "printtargets" you can create any size target you like, one bull or multiple, landscape or portrait, print it and shoot it. I use cover stock when I want a stiffer target, like the sight-in targets at field target matches.

I'm aware I can scale the targets. Lately at the range I've been just using paper plates and a bingo dabber. Nice bright back ground, so the dot contrasts well on it. Tried shooting today some 3" neon green sticker targets and it was difficult, even with the lights on. I shoot from outside into the garage.

I'm near sighted, and got Astigmatism. So my right eye doesn't gather much light. Too bright of the target, effects reddot, too dark and crossairs blend.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:02 pm 

This is a fairly good target for testing pellets. The squares are 1" x 1", but the dots in the middle give good aiming points for higher power scopes at 20 or 25 yards
or lower powered scopes closer in. The squares make good aiming points for open sights at 10 meters & the dot in the middle helps with centering the front sight.
Single shots, or groups on each.

Attachments:
IMG_2877.JPG
IMG_2877.JPG [ 175.89 KiB | Viewed 2289 times ]
target-x-small.jpg
target-x-small.jpg [ 270.37 KiB | Viewed 2289 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:24 pm 

Mac wrote:
Man, that totally works. I made a good page in like 3 minutes. Downloaded and printed, no problem. I don't need it, I have a drawing program. But that site is super cool. Cheers Mac

.177 Cometa Fusion, Vantage 3-9x40
.177 Cometa Fenix LT, Endurance 4-16x50
.22 Cometa Fenix, Airmax 3-9x40