Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:45 am 

During the quarantine I've been shooting my pellet rifle an awful lot. More than 4500 pellets have gone through my collection. I am loving my QB78 but I keep wondering if I'd like a different rifle more so I've been doing tons of research. Everyone seems to love the Weirauch springers and they certainly have caught my eye as well. My issue is trying to decide between them. If you remove the underlevers, gas rams and pcp's from the selection of rifles that Weirauch offers, can anyone really tell me the big differences between the models? the hw 30, 35, 50 all pretty much seem to be the same rifle. Is it just the weight of the rifle that makes the differences up? I have my eye on the hw35E but would like to know a little bit more about them. I can't go and look at them anywhere in NS as nobody sells them here. Youtube is full of examples but depending on their camera and lighting every rifle looks to have a different finish.

Also, does anyone know if their accuracy takes a hit if you buy a sub 500fps model? I only tend to shoot at most 30 meters at the extreme end of things. More often than not it's only 15m targets. Anybody know a little bit more about the different models?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:57 am 

The 30 is a low power small and light rifle. Good for indoor and target - not much faster than 500 fps @ .22 calibre even full power so accuracy is about the same.
The 35E is a heavy springer with a big compression tube. Also not a very high power rifle, but holds its own. It has a unique positive breach lock up that supposed to ensure consistent lock up - sometimes a concern on cheapy break barrels. I used to own a 35E non-PAL and it was super accurate and simply beautiful - I sometimes wonder why I sold it, but no regrets it is being enjoyed even more now by its new owner/
The 50s is a intermediate weight rifle that offers the quality you expect from the HW line with the accuracy just as good as the others.
I'd reccomend either the 50s or the 35E out of the 3 you listed. There are others as well, 90, 80.85, and 98 are all cromulent alternatives. Depends on where you want to start. I sold my 50s before the 35E, because the 50s looks and works like most break barrels, whereas the 35E is fine and unique.
My 2c perspective. :drinkers:

Duke ))))----//----------==

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:03 pm 

Dukemeister wrote:
The 30 is a low power small and light rifle. Good for indoor and target - not much faster than 500 fps @ .22 calibre even full power so accuracy is about the same.
The 35E is a heavy springer with a big compression tube. Also not a very high power rifle, but holds its own. It has a unique positive breach lock up that supposed to ensure consistent lock up - sometimes a concern on cheapy break barrels. I used to own a 35E non-PAL and it was super accurate and simply beautiful - I sometimes wonder why I sold it, but no regrets it is being enjoyed even more now by its new owner/
The 50s is a intermediate weight rifle that offers the quality you expect from the HW line with the accuracy just as good as the others.
I'd reccomend either the 50s or the 35E out of the 3 you listed. There are others as well, 90, 80.85, and 98 are all cromulent alternatives. Depends on where you want to start. I sold my 50s before the 35E, because the 50s looks and works like most break barrels, whereas the 35E is fine and unique.

Much appreciated. Really helps with my decision making.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:23 pm 

Dukemeister wrote:
The hw95 is also in the lineup and appears to be the same as the hw85 in terms of specs.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:37 pm 

The HW98 is a gussied up, HW95, seems to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1kDsuG9uUc

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:04 pm 

Why does Weirauch mount the rear sight near the joint of the break barrel and not much further back? Would a diopter or williams notched sight fit (and work) mounted considerably closer to the eye of the shooter? Or do they just assume that people will be mounting a scope to their rifle and not using the iron sights at all?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:25 pm 

Daryl wrote:
The HW98 is a gussied up, HW95, seems to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1kDsuG9uUc
A friend of mine has the hw98 and it is a very nice airgun. Theres also lots of tune kits that all fit the hw85/95/98, if i recall correctly.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:17 pm 

Trevor wrote:
Why does Weirauch mount the rear sight near the joint of the break barrel and not much further back? Would a diopter or williams notched sight fit (and work) mounted considerably closer to the eye of the shooter? Or do they just assume that people will be mounting a scope to their rifle and not using the iron sights at all?

With a break barrel the barrel is the most logical place to mount both front and rear sight. The sights will always be true with the barrel. A diopter sight can be mounted on the dovetail grooves.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:14 pm 

If you think you’ll really get into a Springer, save some extra money and get the 97 or 77 the AA TX.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:23 pm 

Trevor wrote:
A picture for your reference and the nice 35E Duke mentioned... Yes, of course you can mount a peep rear sight to work with the stock globed front sight on the gun for sure~ they are good partners!

For 15m distance, a non PAL one will work just fine!

Sent from my S9 via Tapatalk

HW45 with customized grips from UK
Russian Izzy 46M
2240+14" barrel
Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:29 pm 

YepYep wrote:
Trevor wrote:
A picture for your reference and the nice 35E Duke mentioned... Yes, of course you can mount a peep rear sight to work with the stock globed front sight on the gun for sure~ they are good partners!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:30 pm 

Oh... For Williams, I had mounted one on my 30s before, but remember not every model fits all... Image

Russian Izzy 46M
2240+14" barrel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:57 pm 

HW777 wrote:
If you think you’ll really get into a Springer, save some extra money and get the 97 or 77 the AA TX.
For sure under-lever is better ones, the 30/35 is also very good choice as an entry level fine break barrel springers.

30 is an obviously smaller and light weight rifle. For the tube size, which limits its power. (Still good or more than enough of buying full power for competition, target shooting and plinking needs)

For 35/50, the 35 just something special as the lock latch design not the steel ball on breech.

50 just similar to other HW break barrels and looks a very normal one without its own characters...

80 is the super power (not magnum rated yet) work horse.

90/98/99 etc all have their own characters, like light weight, adjustable stock etc.... But for the price range, maybe a fine under lever like 97KT, AA TX200 as mentioned by HW777 would be better choice...

Russian Izzy 46M
2240+14" barrel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:58 pm 

YepYep wrote:
Trevor wrote:

I screwed something up on my previous reply, I wanted to tell you your 35e is beautiful a classic would love to own one or day.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:28 pm 

HW98 is a good rifle, as springers go.
They can also be exceptionally accurate.
I do think HW97's, have an edge in accuracy over any break barrel springers.
I suspect the same can be said of the HW77's, as well.
My HW97 is a high powered model, yet is quite capable of shooting 5-shot, .22 calibre
pellet sized groups at 20 through 25 yards form a rest. It is a .177 & runs just over 14fpe.