Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Newbie in Barrie
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:00 pm 

Hey there everyone. Hope you’re all doing well in these weird times!
New BB gun user (or at least since my teens back in the UK...too long ago). Anyways, I recently acquired an Umarex Glock 19 BB as a birthday treat but have never owned an air gun in Canada so I’m not too sure about what the rules are with respect to where I can shoot my targets. Do I have to remain on my property or can I go onto crown land in the woods and shoot? Any advice appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Newbie in Barrie
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:19 am 

Hello BigNans - welcome to the forum.
You should be able to Google the department of lands and forests, or fish and game or ministry of the environment, or whatever the
game branch is called in Ontario and find the answers to your questions about where you can shoot legally.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:07 am 

Welcome!
In Barrie, like most cities and municipalities in Ontario, you are not supposed to shoot anywhere within city limits, except for designated ranges and special exemptions. I found this By-law for Barrie, specifically:
https://www.barrie.ca/City%20Hall/ByLaw ... 10-036.pdf

Section 2.0.0 etc lays it out for you wrt your property assuming it's within city limits. Perhaps there is somewhere out of town you can go.

BTW out of sight out of mind and common sense go a long way. But make sure to take precautions, and I mean more than "lock the door".

Duke ))))----//----------==

HW97K .22
Hatsan AT44-10W .22
Cometa Fusion Premiere Star .22 /.177

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:12 pm 

FIREARM - means a barreled weapon from which any shot, bullet or other projectile can be discharged and that is capable of causing serious bodily injury or death to a person, and for the purpose of this by-law shall also include an air gun, pellet gun, BB gun, paint ball marker, cross bow, long bow, traditional bow and compound bow or anything that can be adapted for use as a firearm.

Pretty much spells it out on their definition of firearms.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:50 pm 

Thanks for your responses everyone. It seems like the bylaw spells it out pretty clearly unfortunately. Sounds like the best option, gun range aside, is to find a bit of secluded woodland outside of town for a bit of casual plinking/target practice. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:49 pm 

Some of the Simcoe County Forest areas have allowed hunting in the past.
Not sure at the present time if or where that might still be available.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:09 pm 

MacG wrote:
Some of the Simcoe County Forest areas have allowed hunting in the past.
Not sure at the present time if or where that might still be available.

Appreciate it, will dig into that option. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:09 am 

Any Simcoe County forests where hunting is allowed requires you to be a valid member of the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters. (OFAH) it’s to make sure you have their liability insurance.