Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Re: Top end PCP Rifle
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:13 pm 

sillymike wrote:
The Mk2 seems to have all the bugs worked out.

Not sure if you're on CanadianGunNutz, but there's a nice FX Streamline listed in the equipment exchange

I have eyeballed that model, but the Dreamline looks to be V 2.0 of that model, and at such a nice price point no need to buy used.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 9:50 am 

Miguelitos wrote:
Leaning in towards the FX Impact MK II X right now.

If I go for the .25 model, which diameter of slugs do I buy to try with it?
parts, seal kits, etc. With PCP you will get a leak eventually (though that discovery i mentioned is sealed like a champ for about 2 years)

Who knows, maybe I'll start field target if I find myself loving the rifle that much.

To me, the .25 is still too exotic. I like the option (if need be) to be able to find ammunition at the local convenience store.
- If you're hunting and need the knock-down power, I guess it make sens

Looking at the Impact Mk2
- Wonder if there's a reason why they only show the shot counts at full power?

Quote:
4,5 (.177) ≈ 325 shots @ 18ft/lbs.
≈ 670 shots @ 12ft/lbs

5,5 (.22): ≈ 225 shots @ 30ft/lbs.
≈ 640 shots @ 12ft/lbs

6,35 (.25): ≈ 110 shots @ 47ft/lbs

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 10:21 am 

sillymike wrote:
Miguelitos wrote:
Leaning in towards the FX Impact MK II X right now.

If I go for the .25 model, which diameter of slugs do I buy to try with it?
parts, seal kits, etc. With PCP you will get a leak eventually (though that discovery i mentioned is sealed like a champ for about 2 years)

Who knows, maybe I'll start field target if I find myself loving the rifle that much.

To me, the .25 is still too exotic. I like the option (if need be) to be able to find ammunition at the local convenience store.
- If you're hunting and need the knock-down power, I guess it make sens

Looking at the Impact Mk2
- Wonder if there's a reason why they only show the shot counts at full power?

Quote:
4,5 (.177) ≈ 325 shots @ 18ft/lbs.
≈ 670 shots @ 12ft/lbs

5,5 (.22): ≈ 225 shots @ 30ft/lbs.
≈ 640 shots @ 12ft/lbs

6,35 (.25): ≈ 110 shots @ 47ft/lbs

I'm sure you are trying to lead my thoughts to a particular revelation, but I can not come to the conclusion.

I would assume the shot count goes up with less power. .25 or .30 seem to be really favored. Watched a number of videos of a guy hunting monkeys with a .25 and hybrid slugs. Quite powerful. To powerful for the critters I would have to go after on the farm. He had a center fire for longer shots of course.

I do 100% agree with you - I can skip over to CT and get crosman CPHP .22 pellets all day long. They have nothing for anything higher. It will be a special order. Which means placing a rather large order to guarantee making it worthwhile. I can not find hybrid slugs in Canada even online.

I can swap the barrel on the MKII to .22 and even .177 or up to .30 for a reasonable fee. X barrels that fire hybrid slugs are more, but I am leaning towards a .22 slug liner and .22 slugs. I'm not sure how to source it all quite yet.

I'm also looking at the dreamline. It has all the same features, just not as much depth in the tweaking. And I do like to tweak.

Not sure if anyone really cares to read my meanderings, but anyone on the fence or in the consideration process may find it mildly amusing at least :)

I really enjoy precision rimfire shooting, and have 2 decent rigs for that. The cost of the MKII with pellets and tax pretty covers the cost of BOTH my rimfire rigs with scopes. And I will still need a scope, though I think I have one that will do just fine.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 11:32 am 

Miguelitos wrote:

I'm sure you are trying to lead my thoughts to a particular revelation, but I can not come to the conclusion.

Not really, just thinking out-loud :lol: about how I use my airgun what I'd buy should I get the urge...
- Since (apparently) we can't play with the AR anymore, I'll need to find something else to waste money on. Before buying a Steyr HFT last year, I had given some though to the Impact.

I think it's interesting what they are doing with slugs, I just don't know where/how I'd find a use for them. The situation where I could use the extra power/range, I'd probably just grab a 22lr (or 22 Hornet).

For dealing with pest, the airgun usually comes out for situation where noise and/or over penetration would be an issue. Like dealing with pest inside a farm building. As stray 22lr with put a hole in the roof, the 177 wont.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 11:57 am 

sillymike wrote:
Miguelitos wrote:

Not really, just thinking out-loud :lol: about how I use my airgun what I'd buy should I get the urge...
- Since (apparently) we can't play with the AR anymore, I'll need to find something else to waste money on. Before buying a Steyr HFT last year, I had given some though to the Impact.

My guess is that this will be repealed and the Conservatives will get us grandfathered, prohib licenses and otherwise they will remain like restricted - eventually (I hope). We are just fubar'd for now - but - we can't use them anyway the ranges are closed. So nothing has changed aside from some pulpit spewing moron tooting his agenda for the globalists and trying to earn his seat on the UN Council. Just a bunch of stuffy bureaucrats being pompous like they do. 2 years is a long time to be a criminal though. What ever should I tell my children.....