Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:06 pm 

Hello gang, recently purchased a classic cooey 75 in decent shape. Looking for input on here on how to drill, tap and mount a weaver #2 side mount. Experienced members, im curious to know how you guys would approach such a task. I hope everyone ia doing well and thank you in advance

Benjamin Maximus .22
Crosman 788
Diana AM03 "Stealth" .177 Diana ZR Mount

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:00 am 

Biggest thing would be making sure the bracket is true and leveled. And that the holes are drilled right and straight.

My 78 had the factory rear peep and made a no drill mount for it using the rear sight. While it worked and shot accuracy with it. It was fragile. and wasn't happy with it. So I just bought another that someone milled a scope mount and D&T.

I use his rifle for club matches.. Loading can be a little more awkward and you'll ride your thumb off the ejector alot.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:45 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
Biggest thing would be making sure the bracket is true and leveled. And that the holes are drilled right and straight.

My 78 had the factory rear peep and made a no drill mount for it using the rear sight. While it worked and shot accuracy with it. It was fragile. and wasn't happy with it. So I just bought another that someone milled a scope mount and D&T.

I use his rifle for club matches.. Loading can be a little more awkward and you'll ride your thumb off the ejector alot.

Thanks Leadslinger, sounds like it involves levels and a boresighter. What if i dont have the said tools, would i be able to just zero the rifle by pulling the bolt out, look thru the action and eye zero the chamber on a target 8 feet away then line up the scope on the same target ? Im tempted to just jb weld the side mount on it if drill and tapping doesnt work out.

Benjamin Maximus .22
Crosman 788

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:43 pm 

TropicalMonkey wrote:
leadslinger wrote:

Thanks Leadslinger, sounds like it involves levels and a boresighter. What if i dont have the said tools, would i be able to just zero the rifle by pulling the bolt out, look thru the action and eye zero the chamber on a target 8 feet away then line up the scope on the same target ? Im tempted to just jb weld the side mount on it if drill and tapping doesnt work out.

Well yeah, it's gunsmithing ( Machining ). Its not just slap it on the side, that looks good and drill. Well you could but that be bubba. You need calipers and such. You need to make sure the mount is level, the hole spacing is right ETC.

Even if you JB weld, you still need to make sure the mount is level. Because if Its not, than you may have issues zeroing. Honestly sounds like you should just get a gunsmith in your area to do it. Why do it twice, when you can just do it once?

Plenty of guns out there that have many holes drilled into it, because someone tackled on a job, that they shouldn't.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:00 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
TropicalMonkey wrote:
leadslinger wrote:

Well yeah, it's gunsmithing ( Machining ). Its not just slap it on the side, that looks good and drill. Well you could but that be bubba. You need calipers and such. You need to make sure the mount is level, the hole spacing is right ETC.

Even if you JB weld, you still need to make sure the mount is level. Because if Its not, than you may have issues zeroing. Honestly sounds like you should just get a gunsmith in your area to do it. Why do it twice, when you can just do it once?

Plenty of guns out there that have many holes drilled into it, because someone tackled on a job, that they shouldn't.

Well yeah i understand all that well enough thats why i havent gone ahead with it. One gunsmith in town and not operating during this pandemic. I wish my eyes werent so bad with open sights, otherwise id leave the cooey the way it is. I wanna do this right thats why im trying to gather whatever information , tips and tricks i can from the interweb so i can pull this off

Benjamin Maximus .22
Crosman 788

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:16 pm 

TropicalMonkey wrote:
Well yeah i understand all that well enough thats why i havent gone ahead with it. One gunsmith in town and not operating during this pandemic. I wish my eyes werent so bad with open sights, otherwise id leave the cooey the way it is. I wanna do this right thats why im trying to gather whatever information , tips and tricks i can from the interweb so i can pull this off

Well without a drill press, tap set, level, calipers. I wouldn't attempt to do it. JB weld would require you roughing up the receiver for it to stick. Kinda why I sold my peep sight 78 and bought one with a scope mount already.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 4:39 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
TropicalMonkey wrote:

Well without a drill press, tap set, level, calipers. I wouldn't attempt to do it. JB weld would require you roughing up the receiver for it to stick. Kinda why I sold my peep sight 78 and bought one with a scope mount already.

Thanks for all the advice, i ended up drilling and tapping it and mounting the scope succesfully

Benjamin Maximus .22
Crosman 788

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 7:55 am 

TropicalMonkey wrote:
leadslinger wrote:
TropicalMonkey wrote:

Thanks for all the advice, i ended up drilling and tapping it and mounting the scope succesfully

Congrats. I wish they grooved Cooey 75s for dovetails. They are surprisingly accurate rifles for what they are.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 5:06 pm 

Well without a drill press, tap set, level, calipers. I wouldn't attempt to do it. JB weld would require you roughing up the receiver for it to stick. Kinda why I sold my peep sight 78 and bought one with a scope mount already.[/quote]

Thanks for all the advice, i ended up drilling and tapping it and mounting the scope succesfully[/quote]

Congrats. I wish they grooved Cooey 75s for dovetails. They are surprisingly accurate rifles for what they are.[/quote]

They sure are. I was hitting a prairie dog target at 115 yards standing up with sling as a stabilizer. Got myself a Cooey Model 60 as well and its also a laser tac driver. Got myself a simmons white tail 1-4 long eye relief but the turret base is too rectangular to mount on the weaver side mount. Hoping the high ones give me enough clearance

Benjamin Maximus .22
Crosman 788

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 8:25 pm 

Had, when I was a teenager, a Coey 60 open sight and a Coey 600 with scope, both very accurate. Now they are my brother gun's and still are getting shot from time to time... 8)

6mm
Not enough and to many.