Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 12:13 pm 

'There is no use and no place for such weapons in Canada': Trudeau bans 'military-style' assault weapons
Here we go again. The criminals are really worried. :roll:

http://canadagazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p2/202 ... 6-eng.html

Federal government's gun strategy won't work without a border crackdown, experts say

Don't take life too seriously, No one gets out alive.

Last edited by Wolf on Fri May 01, 2020 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 12:41 pm 

These symbolic gestures will do nothing to prevent crime. If these nutcases want to go crazy they will find a way, like all the others have. Says right in the article 80-90% came in illegal over the border. Here's a crazy idea, tighten the border....

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 12:44 pm 

Peter Mackay calls it grave dancing.

https://www.petermackay.ca/

Quote:
Canadians are still grieving the twenty-two innocent victims of the largest mass shooting in Canadian history. This atrocity has impacted people across our country, and I know back home in Nova Scotia in particular.

But today, Justin Trudeau has chosen to take advantage of this tragedy by attacking the legal firearms community. The timing of this is crass and beyond the pale.

As a Nova Scotian, I am outraged that Justin Trudeau is using this tragedy to punish law-abiding firearms owners across Canada.

Instead, he should be focusing on making changes that will stop criminals and save lives. We need to tighten up border security to stop the flow of illegal guns crossing into Canada from the United States.

Instead of taking steps to crack down on criminal activity, Justin Trudeau is using this tragedy in Nova Scotia to advance his ideological goals.

His behaviour is unacceptable and beneath the dignity of the office of the Prime Minister.

As Prime Minister, I can guarantee to all Canadians that I will never take advantage of a tragedy like this to push a political agenda.

Sincerely,

Peter MacKay

Co-founder of the Conservative Party of Canada

www.petermackay.ca

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 1:00 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
Peter Mackay calls it grave dancing.

https://www.petermackay.ca/

Exactly, same thing Piers Morgan has done in the past...

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 1:25 pm 

cdnairgunner wrote:
These symbolic gestures will do nothing to prevent crime. If these nutcases want to go crazy they will find a way, like all the others have. Says right in the article 80-90% came in illegal over the border. Here's a crazy idea, tighten the border....

I don't think is has anything to do with crime prevention. There was no crimes in Canada with AR-15 not to mention this new prohibition of .50 cal rifles. They just want to take away all guns from regular people and do it methodically step by step.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 2:06 pm 

Here's an online poll, please show you support if you can.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/canada-ban-mi ... 26176.html

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 4:59 pm 

Wolf wrote:
'There is no use and no place for such weapons in Canada': Trudeau bans 'military-style' assault weapons
Here we go again. The criminals are really worried. :roll:

http://canadagazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p2/202 ... 6-eng.html

Federal government's gun strategy won't work without a border crackdown, experts say

Vote conservative in 2023, push to have the law reversed.

The latest mass shooting wasn't by a career criminal. Legally obtained guns. That being said, I don't believe in the ban, people can run people over in a crowd with a moving Van, we aren't banning moving vans.

It's all just optics.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 7:53 pm 

The latest shooter did not have a P.A.L.- thus he was a criminal for having the guns to start with.
Without THE Federal license, he was prohibited from owning firearms- ANY firearms. They were not legally obtained.
Also - his RCMP uniform - also a federal crime as was his vehicle - he was a nut case CRIMINAL from the word GO!

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 8:00 pm 

Listening to the radio this morning and the host had a few people on discussing this stupid ban. The former commissioner of the OPP came out and said this is a useless law that won't help the problem of illegal guns. Another person that was on the show was a Liberal MP toting the party line but not very convincingly. He was a little flustered when the host asked him to explain the fact that the exception to this ban was the aboriginal community. (apparently the AR is needed to hunt ) Obviously he hadn't read the whole bill and fine details as I expect most MP don't. I trust this radio host to do his homework more than most of the Liberal MP's.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 11:32 am 

AR's (none of them) have not been legal to hunt with in Canada, since about 1979 - or was it 89?. Being restricted,
they could only be shot at range, ie: targets/sporting uses - ie: 3-gun matches and IPSC stuff. But now, OK for aboriginals
to hunt with them?
Same with .50's - ranges and only on approved ranges for .50's only. Our 1,400metre range is still not allowed for .50's
due to the rocks, but is allowed for about everything else in a rifle.
I have a pair of .50's, but not chambered for the Browning ctg. version, so still OK.
According to the wording, though, an 8 bore shotgun or rifle is prohibited now.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 12:52 pm 

Daryl wrote:
AR's (none of them) have not been legal to hunt with in Canada, since about 1979 - or was it 89?. Being restricted,
they could only be shot at range, ie: targets/sporting uses - ie: 3-gun matches and IPSC stuff. But now, OK for aboriginals
to hunt with them?
Same with .50's - ranges and only on approved ranges for .50's only. Our 1,400metre range is still not allowed for .50's
due to the rocks, but is allowed for about everything else in a rifle.
I have a pair of .50's, but not chambered for the Browning ctg. version, so still OK.
According to the wording, though, an 8 bore shotgun or rifle is prohibited now.

As far as I understand this new law says that if aboriginals hunted with one of non-restricted rifles which became prohibited overnight they still allowed to hunt with them until they find a non-restricted replacement rifle. But there's no deadline for that, so they will be allowed to hunt with their rifles indefinitely.

To be fair all ranges are approved for specific calibers, my range allows .50 cal on regular rifle lines. Well - used to allow, not anymore I guess. Still can't understand how .50 prohibition improves public safety.