Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 5:07 am 

Everybody heard that saying, Well It's true.

As heart breaking as it is. I feel really bad. To the point I cried. Big bad, act tough Vet, balled out crying. Yesterday I had a simple lapse of judgement with my dog. Because of Covid19, life etc. Ive been meaning to install a door from my porch into my back area. I'm not an carpenter so been waiting on everything to clear and my step father to help.

So I walk out with my dog from the house, to the gated fenced area about 6ft. Normally will follow me in and out and listens. Well last night I was ready to bring her in, she was sitting at the gate waiting to be let out. I wasn't aware of a lady walking her dog, past my house, if I did.. I wouldn't have opened the gate.

So I un latch and opened it up, let her out, she normally runs to the door and waits. This and going to the car is normally the only time shes not on a leash. As I was closing the gate and latch it, I turn and shes bolting towards another dog.

I run, but by the time I got there she already bit the other dog. I grab my dog, she stops and pancakes, I bring her into the house. I run back out, looking for the lady and her dog. I get confronted by the husband nearly ready to clock me. I defuse that situation, sincerely apologize, ask if his wife is okay, and is their dog.

He curses at my dog, and how it always barks. Which living in this area, EVERYBODY dog barks at every other dog. Most of them aggressively, up against the fence. Mine more like a cry and wag it's tail. Also know for a fact when I walk my dog, every dog barks at me, and my dog doesn't normally react.

He goes on how his wife is scared of my dogs, and avoids walking past my house. Having a 108inch bay window I see everything. I never once seen her cross the street to avoid my house.

So trying to keep the situation cool. I watched my words carefully.

So Im like take your dog to the vet, get it checked out, and I'll cover all costs.

I call my mother and tell her, I explain to my step father that I know social distancing and such, but I need help. We need to get this door up, and the fence ( welded wire and 2x4s ) upgraded to cedar planks.

Couple hours later I get a knock on the door, local RCMP shows up. Twice in a week. Few days before was horses loose, then this.

I explained to the Officer what happened, and that I'm truly sorry, I told him that steps are being taken to make sure this doesn't happen again. He says that wife is okay. and their dog only has minor injures and going to be checked out today. She said even the dog showed no aggression to her, just the dog. And that is true. I made calls to get the door installed, this section of the fence is getting planks, so she shouldn't fear. BUT I said, if there was a problem, they should have brought it up to my attention. I may be a big bearded semi grumpy vet, but I do have a heart and have compassion. Even the officer says his 6lb dog attacks people and other dogs. Just worse because what breed mine is.

Also was given a number for a K9 behaviorist. That once we get a totally privacy and zero distractions should help being able to train her more. I just hope the family allows me to make it right, and lets me keep my dog.

I mean I don't have them as guard dogs, I don't have them as fighting dogs, I don't have them to look tougher than I am. 99% of the time they are on my lap. Both were abused Quebec rescues. One was set on fire, and without Echo, my other one will be lost. Last night he was up agaisnt her, with his paw on her. To say, everything gonna be okay.

But it's just a friendly reminder that fences make good neighbors, and it only takes a quick lapse of judgement to mess up. . Now I get to wear the badge of shame and be looked upon as mean, evil, that guy. Maybe in a couple months, they may forgive and hopefully everything works out.

So because of this incident, you'll be seeing some airguns up forsale because I don't think shooting in the back yard will happen anymore.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 8:41 am 

So sorry to hear that. It's really an incident but it's true that it will change a life... Leaving home to walk the dog with leashes is a must. Dogs have much sensitive senses than human and even a well trained dog would dash or react to something he/she feels very strong but we human feels / finds nothing...

Hope all the bad things passed by smoothly...

Sent from my S9 via Tapatalk

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 10:15 am 

YepYep wrote:
So sorry to hear that. It's really an incident but it's true that it will change a life... Leaving home to walk the dog with leashes is a must. Dogs have much sensitive senses than human and even a well trained dog would dash or react to something he/she feels very strong but we human feels / finds nothing...

Hope all the bad things passed by smoothly...

I always walk with a leash. The dogs have their own harness, and with Echo, she has a lead on his back, and one for her chest. Helps with controlling and the pulling. She sprained my finger one day going after a rabbit. But this incident was when I was bringing the dog inside from after using the bathroom.

I have like a 60x32ft fenced off area for the dogs. But unfortunately do to not having a door. That leads into it from the house. So there is a risk when taking the dogs from one door, outside 6 feet and into the fenced area. Normal no dog situation she would just run and sit in front of the door, waiting to be let back into the house.

But tomorrow some changes will be made to ensure it doesn't happen again. Funny thing is throw a vibrating/sound e collar back on her, and she listens without any fuss. Also been in contact with someone dealing with a mauling case, that the dog was able to be rehabilitated.

Everybody is shocked that knows her. She lives with 3 cats, and another dog. The cats rule the house. Never once showed any aggression to them. And her best friend in the city is a Husky. She loves my neighbors, and the post man.

Just a unfortunate incident that yes, I hope goes away.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 10:37 am 

It's very unfortunate leadslinger. If I had to chose between my dog and my guns it would be a very quick decision and my best fiend would be by my side, and on my lap, and licking my nose. Dogs have instinct and they react, even the very best and trained ones. You can't say for certain what happened since you didn't see it, but if your dog went up to sniff lady's dog and lady reacted badly it could trigger your dog to nip or bite, even accidentally. I hope it works out for you and your "best friend".

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 10:39 am 

Really sorry to hear of the trouble. Best wishes for a good outcome out of it all. Sounds like those dogs mean a lot to you. Hopefully the neighbors give you another opportunity to talk with them and see things differently once things calm down.
Sometimes things look bad and actually turn out better all around. Hopefully this will be one of those!

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 10:53 am 

Dukemeister wrote:
It's very unfortunate leadslinger. If I had to chose between my dog and my guns it would be a very quick decision and my best fiend would be by my side, and on my lap, and licking my nose. Dogs have instinct and they react, even the very best and trained ones. You can't say for certain what happened since you didn't see it, but if your dog went up to sniff lady's dog and lady reacted badly it could trigger your dog to nip or bite, even accidentally. I hope it works out for you and your "best friend".

We care about them alot. A friend, rescued them out of Quebec for us. We had Echo first ( bigger one ) then we got Phoenix ( there is a reason for his name ) 15mins later, bonded pair. Phoenix is the goof ball and makes me laugh, Echo gives me a reason to leave the house.

I have no qualm not shooting outside to keep the peace.

She gave him the confidence he needed.

Now I'm not saying it's not my dogs fault, I take 100% responsibility for my dog actions.

Now if I have to ill get a muzzle... But trying to find one that doesn't makes her look Aggressive or Bane.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 4:56 pm 

Feel for you buddy - but IT happens, sometimes & we get to live with the results.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 9:19 pm 

Well I haven't heard anything.

But funny thing, I look down the backyard yesterday. There is their dog isn't on a leash, or no fenced area. But they telling me that all dogs need to be on leash, or in a pen when outside.

Step father and I worked in the pouring ran, and got this put in.

Now there isn't a risk of the dogs getting free, when taking them to the bathroom.

I gotta order 500$ in fence boards. But if I put a solid fence, I could shoot in that penned area.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:01 pm 

No news is good news...

Anyway, I think your neighbor knows dogs too and undestood that's just another incident...

Regarding the fence, any difference between the 500$ materials now than the other one which you can shoot? IMO, I would go for the better option to try to finish everything in one time instead of finish it step by step in the future...

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:03 pm 

My Bloodhound has bite 3 people but no black marks on his record. All three walked 30 feet across my lawn and reached over a 4 foot fence to pet him. All three times no one was home. Health agency asked what's with people walking across your lawn to pet your dog. Bloodhound would get up on the fence and whimper at people walking but then grab them when they reached over. Just had to quarenteen him in back yard for seven days each time. Since we have an 6foot solid fence around the entire back yard. Where I shoot is a 8 foot solid fence which is the maximum my town allows. People are used to the Beverly Hillbillys bloodhound. Bloodhounds are very agressive dogs that only listen to one male voice.

As you can see my Bloodhound thinks he is a Beagle but he does not quit fit in Beagle tunnels. LOL

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 8:06 am 

YepYep wrote:
No news is good news...

Anyway, I think your neighbor knows dogs too and undestood that's just another incident...

Regarding the fence, any difference between the 500$ materials now than the other one which you can shoot? IMO, I would go for the better option to try to finish everything in one time instead of finish it step by step in the future...

Yeah I haven't heard of anything.

I just find it funny about the double standard. My dogs are barely off leash. As for the fence, My fence is just 2x4s and welded wire. So I was going to get some fence boards ( 1"x6"x5' ) and just screw them onto the existing fence. I was going to just do the section facing the road, so the dogs don't see each other. But figured I may as well do the rest of the fence.

So It's not the fence that will allow me to shoot from the garage, to the shed, plan. But this Will allow me to shoot like I did.. From the porch, to outside. Or fence to the house ( more room ) Now that is a 4' fence in the photo, and will be a 5'.

wheeliehd wrote:
My Bloodhound has bite 3 people but no black marks on his record. All three walked 30 feet across my lawn and reached over a 4 foot fence to pet him. All three times no one was home. Health agency asked what's with people walking across your lawn to pet your dog. Bloodhound would get up on the fence and whimper at people walking but then grab them when they reached over. Just had to quarenteen him in back yard for seven days each time. Since we have an 6foot solid fence around the entire back yard. Where I shoot is a 8 foot solid fence which is the maximum my town allows. People are used to the Beverly Hillbillys bloodhound. Bloodhounds are very agressive dogs that only listen to one male voice.

As you can see my Bloodhound thinks he is a Beagle but he does not quit fit in Beagle tunnels. LOL

None of my current dogs bit people. But they have growled aggressively to back off, or that they were un comfortable. Phoenix was used as a bait dog in Quebec. So hes scared of bigger dogs. We were at a meet and greet, and was other smaller dogs. He was fine, he was playing with a cat. But when someone brought in a Great Dane, that's when he changed his tone. And then visited Dad and he was scared of Misha ( 180lb Newfie ) so Echo went into protect mode.

Now my Chow Chow bit me, But I bit him back and never did again. He bit my uncle but I think he kicked him. The oil man, but we warned him not to go in the backyard. By that time he was going blind and deaf. I only once let Max go after one person. I was out shoveling my driveway and he was on a lead, that he could see around the house and watch me. People started to throw ice balls at him. I say that dog was a handful compared to what I go now. He didn't like kids, or people, or any animals.

But dogs are silly. My 2 dogs are doing silly things all the time.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 6:58 am 

Figured I'd update people. Echo is a free dog.

Nothing else happened, no animal control, they didn't bother coming over with the bill. Police and others, Said don't bother going over. And Police confirmed that the report is done.

What I believe that happened, but hard to fully say in the commotion. Was my dog ran up, freak the lady out, she swatted, which cased her dog to go in protect mode, and a small fight happened.

I'm only going to put a solid fence in the section between the house and the garage. Dogs love watching stuff.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 8:48 am 

Glad to hear there was no further negative outcome.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 8:08 pm 

these are my daughters weapons of mass destruction my biggest problem is the pit bull her tail is like a bull whip there both here all the time and play nicely with our 3 small dogs .Any dog will go after a other dog i have far more problem with a 10 lb Yorkie

Attachments:
dog 2.jpg
dog 2.jpg [ 6.54 MiB | Viewed 1037 times ]
dog.jpg
dog.jpg [ 5.24 MiB | Viewed 1037 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:28 am 

lauchlin wrote:
these are my daughters weapons of mass destruction my biggest problem is the pit bull her tail is like a bull whip there both here all the time and play nicely with our 3 small dogs .Any dog will go after a other dog i have far more problem with a 10 lb Yorkie

Yeah gotta watch out for those tails. Phoenix he lacks confidence, so his tail is less dangerous. The funny thing about saying more problems with a 10lb yorkie. Was the officer said his 6lb dog attacks everything.

Yesterday I was outside washing my gas tank on my generator. My elderly neighbor comes over for a chat. Echo was in her pen, and she got super excited. YAY THE MILK BONE LADY. I straight up asked my neighbor, have you ever felt scared of my dog, or heard any aggression? Shes like no. Even when she walking her son's mastiff, Its nothing more than a woo woo woo..

I get ask often. Why my dogs don't like others? And I say I don't know. They were about 2 and 3 when I got them from the rescue, and they were rescued from kill shelters in Quebec. So we don't know what they were possibly been put thru with the previous owners.

I was little worried if animal control came over and seen Phoenix. They would straight up assume I'm doing dog fighting. Hes always has cuts and bleeding. But he has allergies and allergic to some stuff. So he breaks out in sores, and he rips up his paws. We love to get him into the vet, but we cannot. It's a non emergency.

We slowed down the allergies switching the food, but we assumed hes got some sort of grass/environment allergy. Because it started to get worst in the last few weeks. But its been a on going problem since day one. But I share enough photos/videos, I talk about the dogs alot. That anyone that didn't know his story would assume that I'm fighting them, or abusing them.

I'll probably continue to adopt these dogs.