Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 11:38 pm 

airmec wrote:
Hi Jbanel, first off I'd like to apologize if I offended you, I didn't meant to be rude, I was puzzled as to why the post was displaced, I'm sorry about the misunderstanding :oops: .

Second, I can't wait to hear about your test on the magazine/cartridge, first hand experience is always good to hear about. I just got the confirmation of shipment for my own 10/22 :supz: , VERY impatient to see it!!!

Airmec, re Ruger 12/22 CO2 Pellet Air Rifle
I was definitely not offended. There was some misunderstanding about whether I was talking about an air or powder version. I am talking about the air version. It is an excellent replica of the powder version
I just posted a long reply to you today but it mysteriously disappeared. It was a repeat of an earlier message that may have been lost in the thread. Anyway, I had good luck removing the cartridge and poking repeatedly the square hole to break it in. It's plastic on plastic, and tolerances are not going to be consistent, Your copy may be looser, but if it isn't try loosening up the cartridge. I'm liking the gun a lot more now.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 5:38 pm 

Jbanel wrote:
airmec wrote:
Hi Jbanel, first off I'd like to apologize if I offended you, I didn't meant to be rude, I was puzzled as to why the post was displaced, I'm sorry about the misunderstanding :oops: .

Second, I can't wait to hear about your test on the magazine/cartridge, first hand experience is always good to hear about. I just got the confirmation of shipment for my own 10/22 :supz: , VERY impatient to see it!!!

Airmec, re Ruger 12/22 CO2 Pellet Air Rifle
I was definitely not offended. There was some misunderstanding about whether I was talking about an air or powder version. I am talking about the air version. It is an excellent replica of the powder version
I just posted a long reply to you today but it mysteriously disappeared. It was a repeat of an earlier message that may have been lost in the thread. Anyway, I had good luck removing the cartridge and poking repeatedly the square hole to break it in. It's plastic on plastic, and tolerances are not going to be consistent, Your copy may be looser, but if it isn't try loosening up the cartridge. I'm liking the gun a lot more now.

OK sir, all is nice :drinkers:

Thank you for the update on the mag/cartridge, I'll have a look at that. Nice to hear you feel an improvement after working it, this is good info. One thing I know helped a lot on my Crosman 1077 is using silicone oil on the mag components, along with some minor sanding, I can figure the same principle would apply to the Ruger. Ah and BTW I just saw my rifle is scheduled for delivery on next Monday - yeah!

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 1:31 pm 

Jbanel wrote:
Just got this rifle which is terrific in every way except...

I had read that the trigger pull was difficult in double action and much easier in single action. All true, but no reviewer ever mentioned the very hard pull on the bolt. In addition it's very small so you can only get one finger on it, and the edges are hard. I developed a bruise after 30 rounds.

Does anyone know if the bolt can be eased up?

In the meantime, i bought some finger protectors on Amazon. They help a bit but I would rather not be seen in public with them, lol.

Jbanel, I believe I can now give you some answers regarding your original question:

The hard bolt pull has a few causes that I can see: 1- there is a rather stiff return spring, too stiff IMO, 2- the entire surface is painted, this makes the sliding areas sticky (you see the worn paint in the third picture), 3- also when you start actuating the hammer back with the bolt, you fight 3 stiff springs at the same time (bolt, hammer, trigger).

This can be improved, but the rifle has to be taken apart (which I did). I can also add that all trigger parts are made from potmetal, the hammer too but it has a hardened steel insert. All the parts will benefit from deburring/polishing. One other thing, I think the smalish bolt handle itself could be replaced by a longer, custom one, it's pinned in place on the sliding plate.

I'll start a new thread on tuning the bolt/trigger mechanism, with disassembly, tune and reassembly, and lots of pictures of course :wink: .

Attachments:
Bolt_n_trigger_1.JPG
Bolt_n_trigger_1.JPG [ 112.52 KiB | Viewed 566 times ]
Bolt_n_trigger_2.JPG
Bolt_n_trigger_2.JPG [ 97.13 KiB | Viewed 566 times ]
Bolt_n_trigger_3.JPG
Bolt_n_trigger_3.JPG [ 65.64 KiB | Viewed 566 times ]