Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 11:56 pm 

Just got this rifle which is terrific in every way except...

I had read that the trigger pull was difficult in double action and much easier in single action. All true, but no reviewer ever mentioned the very hard pull on the bolt. In addition it's very small so you can only get one finger on it, and the edges are hard. I developed a bruise after 30 rounds.

Does anyone know if the bolt can be eased up?

In the meantime, i bought some finger protectors on Amazon. They help a bit but I would rather not be seen in public with them, lol.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 1:13 pm 

Probably shouldn't be seen in public with the gun either.

I'm assuming the hard pull on the bolt lever is due to the hammer spring tension.
Reducing the spring's tension will reduce the powder level, will it not?
"The edges are hard"? Do you mean sharp? You can round them, I would expect.
The little cocking lever, if the same as on the .22 LR rifle, only needs one finger, as designed.
There may be a longer, aftermarket lever - you could google custom parts for Ruger 10-22,
however .22LR version 10-22 parts might not fit the air gun, just so you know.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 5:01 pm 

Posts on powder burns only go here the rest of forum is for Airguns only

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 7:16 pm 

lauchlin wrote:

It isn't clear if OP has a powder burning 10/22 or the CO2 rifle version.
If it's this one then Lauchlin is 100% right:
https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8926982e

Duke ))))----//----------==

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 9:02 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Probably shouldn't be seen in public with the gun either.

I'm assuming the hard pull on the bolt lever is due to the hammer spring tension.
Reducing the spring's tension will reduce the powder level, will it not?
"The edges are hard"? Do you mean sharp? You can round them, I would expecvellt.
The little cocking lever, if the same as on the .22 LR rifle, only needs one finger, as designed.
There may be a longer, aftermarket lever - you could google custom parts for Ruger 10-22,
however .22LR version 10-22 parts might not fit the air gun, just so you know.

The first half of the lever travel is real easy.Then at the point at which it moves the rotary magazine, the lever becomes very hard to pull. Not sure the spring affects that. Maybe it just needs more break-in. I'll try rounding the edges and checking for a larger lever. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 5:34 am 

Dukemeister wrote:
lauchlin wrote:

Just ordered the Umarex CO2 version, can't wait to see about that bolt pull.

OP, are you talking about the Umarex CO2 version or the powderburner version??? :?

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 7:55 am 

OP must be talking about the Airgun version. 10/22 don't have double action triggers.

Try leaving the gun cocked. I bet it needs a work in. I know many years ago, we bought a Sig pistol, that wouldn't cycle. Sig told us to store the gun with the slide locked back for a few days.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 10:43 am 

leadslinger wrote:
OP must be talking about the Airgun version. 10/22 don't have double action triggers.

Try leaving the gun cocked. I bet it needs a work in. I know many years ago, we bought a Sig pistol, that wouldn't cycle. Sig told us to store the gun with the slide locked back for a few days.

That sounds like a good idea.
Also it just occurred to me to contact Umarexusa.com and see what they have to say. I'll report.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 2:16 pm 
Supporting Members

Like most bolt action airguns, the action will smooth out with use. The Crosman 760 was very stiff when new, but with use got better.

Im addicted to brake fluid..........but I can stop anytime....

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 7:58 am 

airmec wrote:
Dukemeister wrote:
lauchlin wrote:

OP, are you talking about the Umarex CO2 version or the powderburner version??? :?

I mean the CO2 pellet version. Sorry for any confusion,

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 9:25 am 

airmec wrote:
Dukemeister wrote:
lauchlin wrote:

The CO2 replica. Sorry for not being clear.
I think I found the source of the problem and it may apply to all rotary magazines. Without the cartridge ( I guess that's the name of the black thing that holds the red magazine) the bolt pull is very easy. When the cartridge is installed and the bolt is pulled it gets difficult because a square post comes out of the gun and pushes in the square opening in the cartridge which then rotates the magazine
Attachment:
File comment: Ruger 10-20 air rifle cartridge and magazine
ruger-10-22 cartridge .jpg
ruger-10-22 cartridge .jpg [ 75.89 KiB | Viewed 225 times ]
. Some have suggested leaving the gun cocked for a few day to loosen the spring tension, which would help. But the issue is really at the point at which the post in the cartridge pushes against the magazine to rotate it. As some have suggested, it simply needs break-in. I think I can speed up the process by removing the cartridge and pushing against the square opening repeatedly. I'll let you know if that helps. Also I asked Umarex if a dab of light oil would help but I wouldn't dare try that without hearing from them.
You'll enjoy the gun.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 9:53 am 

Jbanel wrote:
I asked Umarex if a dab of light oil would help but I wouldn't dare try that without hearing from them.
You'll enjoy the gun.

Just oil it and see what happens. Use SAE30 or if all parts are plastic silicone oil would work. A little oil in a CO2 gun won't hurt anything as long as you don't use something that can damage the seals. And never use silicone on metal/metal surfaces.

Duke ))))----//----------==

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 12:47 pm 

Dukemeister wrote:
Jbanel wrote:
I asked Umarex if a dab of light oil would help but I wouldn't dare try that without hearing from them.
You'll enjoy the gun.

Just oil it and see what happens. Use SAE30 or if all parts are plastic silicone oil would work. A little oil in a CO2 gun won't hurt anything as long as you don't use something that can damage the seals. And never use silicone on metal/metal surfaces.

Good plan - thanks. I think all the contact points would be plastic.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 5:04 pm 

Hi Jbanel, first off I'd like to apologize if I offended you, I didn't meant to be rude, I was puzzled as to why the post was displaced, I'm sorry about the misunderstanding :oops: .

Second, I can't wait to hear about your test on the magazine/cartridge, first hand experience is always good to hear about. I just got the confirmation of shipment for my own 10/22 :supz: , VERY impatient to see it!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:34 pm 

airmec wrote:
Hi Jbanel, first off I'd like to apologize if I offended you, I didn't meant to be rude, I was puzzled as to why the post was displaced, I'm sorry about the misunderstanding :oops: .

Second, I can't wait to hear about your test on the magazine/cartridge, first hand experience is always good to hear about. I just got the confirmation of shipment for my own 10/22 :supz: , VERY impatient to see it!!!

Hey airmec, I was never offended by your comments. In fact I was too dazed and confused to be offended, lol. I sorted it out with the Moderator, assuring him that I was talking about the CO2 version of the Ruger 10/22

I posted some comments which I'm not sure you saw. Anyway, here they are:

I think I found the source of the problem (the sticky bolt) and it may apply to all rotary magazines. Without the cartridge ( I guess that's the name of the black thing that holds the red magazine) the bolt pull is very easy. When the cartridge is installed and the bolt is pulled it gets difficult because a square post comes out of the gun and pushes in the square opening in the cartridge which then rotates the magazine.
Attachment:
ruger-10-22 cartridge .jpg
ruger-10-22 cartridge .jpg [ 75.89 KiB | Viewed 135 times ]

Some have suggested leaving the gun cocked for a few days to loosen the spring tension, which might help. But the issue is really at the point at which the post in the cartridge pushes against the magazine to rotate it. As some have suggested, it simply needs break-in. I think I can speed up the process by removing the cartridge and pushing against the square opening repeatedly. I'll let you know if that helps. [Update: yes it does!] Also I asked Umarex if a dab of light oil would help but I wouldn't dare try that without hearing from them.
You'll enjoy the gun

[Update: I'm much happier with the gun now that the bolt has eased up a bit. Also I was getting some misfiring with pellets left in the magazine. That was solved when I started using H&N alloy Greens. No lead on my fingers either.]

Looking forward to hearing your experience the rifle. Hope you get it soon.I'm still waiting for a Dan Wesson pistol that I ordered May 9, argh.

Report this post
Profile Send private message