Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Recrown an Airgun barrel
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 5:27 pm 

Hey Guys and Gals,

I just acquired a Crosman 2300T and the person I got it from, one of his friends hacked the barrel off(what a shame), so I've been searching online to see about getting a muzzle crown facing tool and 11 degree chamfer tool to redo the barrel but can't find any Canadian sites to buy them. Does anyone have any idea where I can purchase these tools?, I would prefer to get these tools so in the future if I damage my crown I can fix it myself. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Sheldon

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 10:40 pm 

If you want to try the cheap way, look for a counter sink or a counter bore of your desired angle. Try to avoid power tools for this and keeping it parallel will be a chore, little cuts at a time. Then check it with a Q-tip , if it hooks the cotton on exit then repeat the process. I only ever did this once and I used a lathe, good luck

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 7:48 am 

I had many good success with just a brass bolt and valve lapping compound.

I took crowns like this, and made them perfect.

https://i.imgur.com/LhXEtXS.jpg

Did a Cooey after I cut down the barrel. It shot well, but the flash burns were to one side. So redid it.

Another one.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 12:02 pm 

Thanks for the helpful advise, I will definitely try these methods until I can get my hands on the proper tools.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 12:54 pm 

youtube is your friend here there are many videos to watch before doing the first one.I used a golf tee wrapped with tape to match the bore size and used valve grinding compound and used the pressure of my thumb by hand until it passes q tip test.good luck go slow check it often regardless of what method you choose.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 4:56 pm 

Sid66 wrote:
youtube is your friend here there are many videos to watch before doing the first one.I used a golf tee wrapped with tape to match the bore size and used valve grinding compound and used the pressure of my thumb by hand until it passes q tip test.good luck go slow check it often regardless of what method you choose.

You would have to be very careful not to damage the bore using this method . it sounds like it may be better suited to polishing the lead into the breach .