Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 11:56 am 

Looks like Raman has gotten a bunch of Kral guns in stock now and if you are looking for a beautiful stock, a nice adjustable trigger and an accurate shooter I'd look seriously at some of his pcp.
Here's a few for example that are not too bad to fill with a hand pump if you are in decent shape. https://www.canadashootingsupply.ca/kra ... -0-22.html
https://www.canadashootingsupply.ca/pun ... cp-22.html

I've got the Puncher Mega in stock in my store in 25 cal if you prefer 25 cal, but the power level on these Puncher Mega is perhaps more suited for 22.
I've also got the Xisico Sentry in 22 cal and 25 cal, but if you are looking for a beautiful stock and really good trigger I'd look at the Kral first and buy the Xisico if your budget isn't going to stretch that far. 8)
The Xisico Sentry is a really good shooter and has side lever cocking, and the trigger is adjustable, but it is not up to the standards of the Kral in the stock and quality machining in my opinion. Still great a great gun though, I really like!
The BT65 I have for sale mentioned above is very nice gun too, lightly used with a really nice wood stock. It's in 25 cal.
Thanks,
Wes

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 1:40 pm 

Blackbirddown wrote:
Ya I wasn’t sure where to even begin looking for a decent scope because some of the ones I d seen guys have on their air rifles, they look pretty costly. I’ve been primarily a smoothbore shooter for 45yrs and other than rimfire plinking so I’m as green as they come with optics. What’s a decent brand and size scope bases and rings to begin looking at?? Will $300 possibly get me a 1/2 decent scope setup?? I see the scopes with the lines through the viewfinder I guess that’s for elevation vs the bushnell banner 1.5-4 I have on one of my slug guns but they just have a straight line and no way to really tell how much to lift for longer shots.

I’m seriously after a PCP, maybe $1000ish including scope setup even better if I can find a good used rifle. It’s gotta have a nice trigger and would prefer a wood Monte Carlo stock but composite I’ll entertain.

The advantages of going CO2 vs compressed air is that much better?? I’ll have to look at your previous posts to see. Still trying to decide whether to go with a .177 or .22. I know the smaller pellet with shoot flatter but won’t have as much retained kinetic energy as a .22.. always a trade off.

For $1,000 you can easily buy a decent PCP air rifle, scope, mounts and maybe a pump (or used scuba tank for filling at a pain-ball or scuba shop) as well.

CO2 is lower powered than compressed air and useless in the winter time. It was simply an option for the Gauntlet which is why I tested that gun with CO2. Most rifles are not interchangeable.
The Gauntlet is. On the little Gauntlet compressed air bottle, I got 64 shots, I think it was. It's been a while since I shot that rifle with compressed air.

The Artemis M11 in .22 might be an option. Wes has or has had those. About any scope is suitable and they give a high shot count per fill.

Oh- the extra cross wires in most air gun scopes are for elevation settings - learned and recorded through testing as all guns and pellets vary in drop.

topic84435.html

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 12:09 pm 

Well as if I wasn’t undecided before I sure am now. Thought about how forgiving a PCP would be and me being OCD Once I start researching it’s tough for me to buy entry level anything because we “usually” get what we pay for but I priced out an Air Arms S510 XS carbine walnut which would be one gorgeous setup but it’s sat me on my butt seeing the quote for scope and mounts, hand pump etc, just over $2500. Then there’s the if I went with a scuba tank instead of hand pump having to run every time I want to get it charged, that or buy some cheap knock off electric pump. Man what a rigamoroll... yet I know they’d be the ultimate in shooting experience !!!! The thought of me pumping 100-150+ hand pumps to charge up any gun is nothing more than a real disappointment especially at my age.

If I thought I could find a forgiving Springer that was a smooth shooter, I’d jump on it vs the complicated expensive PCP route.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 1:48 pm 

I have a couple (3 tanks) that I use. One is a steel 60cu ft. scuba 3,200psi tank and the favourites are 77 CU. FT.
carbon fiber 4,500psi tanks. The hoses cost just under $200.00 each and about the same for the hose/gauge for the
Nitrogen tank.
Yearly rental on the nitrogen tank comes to about $130.00 and it's about $130.00 total for a tank full of nitrogen.
That is the system I use now - I fill my 4,500psi tanks from the big one, then the PCP air rifles from the carbon fiber
tanks.
I think if you click on the picture, it enlarges right side up. The black tank is the nitrogen tank - weight 200 pounds. A
full tank lasts me a year, running it down to about 2,400psi.
The grey tank is a 20 pounder of CO2. The silver tank is the 60 cu. ft. scuba tank and the two 4,500psi carbon tanks
are in the cardboard box.
High end PCP rifles, like Air Arms, Day State and FX, get up THERE in price.

Attachments:
IMG_2657.JPG
IMG_2657.JPG [ 510.42 KiB | Viewed 541 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 3:13 pm 

Blackbirddown wrote:
Well as if I wasn’t undecided before I sure am now. Thought about how forgiving a PCP would be and me being OCD Once I start researching it’s tough for me to buy entry level anything because we “usually” get what we pay for but I priced out an Air Arms S510 XS carbine walnut which would be one gorgeous setup but it’s sat me on my butt seeing the quote for scope and mounts, hand pump etc, just over $2500. Then there’s the if I went with a scuba tank instead of hand pump having to run every time I want to get it charged, that or buy some cheap knock off electric pump. Man what a rigamoroll... yet I know they’d be the ultimate in shooting experience !!!! The thought of me pumping 100-150+ hand pumps to charge up any gun is nothing more than a real disappointment especially at my age.

If I thought I could find a forgiving Springer that was a smooth shooter, I’d jump on it vs the complicated expensive PCP route.

I bought a QB Chief and a hand pump to see PCP world. Pumps up to 2000psi. 50 pumps for twenty shots. It is a good shooter, someday if I get a compressor I may get another pcp. It helped me realize PCP are boring to shoot and went back to shooting my springers daily. But I do like that my QB Chief and my QB78S have bipods for shooting of my bench. Own seven Springers of all ranges of power and shoot them all in my house at 30 feet. None of my pellet guns have seen the outdoors. CHEERS!

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 12:35 pm 

Diana 43 or anything Hw......

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 7:51 pm 

Wow, Ernie sure pulled out the all the stops on his purchase and jump to airgunning. Still going to stop around and let him try some tamer or tuned springers tomorrow though.

Will leave the purchase for Ernie though.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 9:15 am 

I am not the typical person in choosing what to shoot. I started with a Pro Sport back in 1999, shot it a bit and went to PCP. Shot PCP from 2000 to 2008ish. I have been shooting springers since then. I have three variants of the TX200 and one more ordered. I still have a completely tricked out for Field target, Steyr LG100, so it is not like I couldn't shoot a good PCP. The springers just do it for me right now; gun, pellets and go.

I have a Hunter Carbine on order and I am really looking forward to its arrival. I shot a friend's HC and decided right then to order one. I will tune it down to the 12 fpe mark as soon as I get it, since that is the power they were designed for. The current World Field Target Champion for spring class shoots a HC and shot a 48/50 on the second day of the worlds. Our top Canadian shooter scored a 45/50 on the first day of the competition and ended up placing fifth in the world with his TX. He lives just outside of Windsor, pretty close to your area I would think.

You can shoot this gun as it comes at about 14 fpe and still have a world class rifle. One of the nice things about the TX is the number of tune options. The Brits probably have the best kits as they have the most experience with the gun. As time goes by, people add to their collection of tuning parts for these guns and experimenting is so easy because of the design of the rifle that allows you to take it apart and have it back together in a few minutes. No spring compressor is needed as the preload on the spring is very light. These tune kits/parts can be a down the road investment when you get the itch to spend a little cash, which tends to happen to all of us from time to time.

A good mount is needed and a springer rated scope. I think the TX200HC, mount and scope combination would come in cheaper than a "quality" pcp, tank, filling gear, mount and scope. I put the "quality" in brackets since that means very different things to different people. You mentioned an AA 510, which is my idea of pretty good quality, but you also mentioned the cost of that quality. I think the TX is the best bang for the buck in quality rifles. There are other spring rifles that compete with it for accuracy, but for ease of tuning and repairing, it stands alone.

I have linked the Walnut version because the beech version is out of stock. That can change when Travis gets his next shipment in.

https://www.airgunsource.ca/us/copy-of- ... -beec.html

If you end up with a TX and want to hear some options, drop me a PM and we can discuss it.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 11:02 am 

Daryl wrote:
I have a couple (3 tanks) that I use. One is a steel 60cu ft. scuba 3,200psi tank and the favourites are 77 CU. FT.
carbon fiber 4,500psi tanks. The hoses cost just under $200.00 each and about the same for the hose/gauge for the
Nitrogen tank.
Yearly rental on the nitrogen tank comes to about $130.00 and it's about $130.00 total for a tank full of nitrogen.
That is the system I use now - I fill my 4,500psi tanks from the big one, then the PCP air rifles from the carbon fiber
tanks.
I think if you click on the picture, it enlarges right side up. The black tank is the nitrogen tank - weight 200 pounds. A
full tank lasts me a year, running it down to about 2,400psi.
The grey tank is a 20 pounder of CO2. The silver tank is the 60 cu. ft. scuba tank and the two 4,500psi carbon tanks
are in the cardboard box.
High end PCP rifles, like Air Arms, Day State and FX, get up THERE in price.

Thanks for the explanation Daryl because this is the direction I’m trying to go now for 4500PSI. I’ve put the word out to a few buddies who know guys who are either volunteer or full time firefighters that I’m looking for a close to expiration carbon fibre tank that just maybe they could possibly continue filling for me. It’s either that or Travis at air gun source sells ( I havent done a ton of research tho yet and open to suggestions) a CB tank complete (I think) with regulator for $399, my luck tho that’ll just be the tank. I called me buddies at the welding supply and they said a tank of Nitrogen that is likely the same as yours in the photo, was $60/year rental and $160 to fill it but he might have gotten that backwards. So I couldn’t fill the gun directly off that big tank ??

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 11:31 am 

Mac wrote:
I am not the typical person in choosing what to shoot. I started with a Pro Sport back in 1999, shot it a bit and went to PCP. Shot PCP from 2000 to 2008ish. I have been shooting springers since then. I have three variants of the TX200 and one more ordered. I still have a completely tricked out for Field target, Steyr LG100, so it is not like I couldn't shoot a good PCP. The springers just do it for me right now; gun, pellets and go.

I have a Hunter Carbine on order and I am really looking forward to its arrival. I shot a friend's HC and decided right then to order one. I will tune it down to the 12 fpe mark as soon as I get it, since that is the power they were designed for. The current World Field Target Champion for spring class shoots a HC and shot a 48/50 on the second day of the worlds. Our top Canadian shooter scored a 45/50 on the first day of the competition and ended up placing fifth in the world with his TX. He lives just outside of Windsor, pretty close to your area I would think.

You can shoot this gun as it comes at about 14 fpe and still have a world class rifle. One of the nice things about the TX is the number of tune options. The Brits probably have the best kits as they have the most experience with the gun. As time goes by, people add to their collection of tuning parts for these guns and experimenting is so easy because of the design of the rifle that allows you to take it apart and have it back together in a few minutes. No spring compressor is needed as the preload on the spring is very light. These tune kits/parts can be a down the road investment when you get the itch to spend a little cash, which tends to happen to all of us from time to time.

A good mount is needed and a springer rated scope. I think the TX200HC, mount and scope combination would come in cheaper than a "quality" pcp, tank, filling gear, mount and scope. I put the "quality" in brackets since that means very different things to different people. You mentioned an AA 510, which is my idea of pretty good quality, but you also mentioned the cost of that quality. I think the TX is the best bang for the buck in quality rifles. There are other spring rifles that compete with it for accuracy, but for ease of tuning and repairing, it stands alone.

I have linked the Walnut version because the beech version is out of stock. That can change when Travis gets his next shipment in.

https://www.airgunsource.ca/us/copy-of- ... -beec.html

If you end up with a TX and want to hear some options, drop me a PM and we can discuss it.

Pardon my language but holy litter Tim you’ve set me on my buttock after reading your post. Especially considering I just Friday before closing time gave Travis my credit card info on a blue laminate FX Crown in .25 and I honestly can’t believe I’ve gone from being so completely turned off and soured from the disgusting results from this Gamo magnum (no insult intended towards Anyone who reads this and owns one) to a Cadillac of guns in short order but I e never been sadly it’s all or nothing in my meger world.

The thought of deadly accuracy at 50 and the odd time out to 100yds with authority and especially after the hours I’ve spent watching videos on the capabilities of these high end PCP’s well that’s pretty impressive. Yet on the other hand the money I’ll have tied up into this beast plus then have the never ending need for large volumes of air and the cost associated with s
the tanks. well I’d be lying if I couldn’t admit hell ya it’s not overly comforting considering a grab and go Springer.

What you’ve so kindly taken the time to explain about the TX200 is very impressive and I haven’t taken the time to look further into them but you’re these in shooting .177 ??

I certainly would love to talk further with you about these rifles tho.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 11:58 am 

Blackbirddown wrote:
. So I couldn’t fill the gun directly off that big tank ??

The big tank is 200pounds. If you are out hunting, you would have to return to re-fill, but yes,
you could fill a rifle right from the big tank. You will have to buy your own gauge and fill probe
for the big tank.
I suspect different pricing depending on location. There are two places here with Nitrogen and
the pricing is the same. Oh, on top of the pricing, is not only sales tax, but the Federal or Provincial
dangerous goods (nitrogen-dangerous?) tax.
Once a year cost for tank and nitrogen, with your own carbon fiber 4500psi tank is the way to go
for me.
Pictures: HW97 .177 with thumbhole stock
HW97 Blackline .177 with 56 yard rat(gopher)

Attachments:
IMG_2805.JPG
IMG_2805.JPG [ 116.92 KiB | Viewed 447 times ]
HW97177andrats001_zps23529c86.jpg
HW97177andrats001_zps23529c86.jpg [ 330.31 KiB | Viewed 447 times ]

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 3:32 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

Quote:
and really looking for something to reach out and make feathers fly off starlings and grackles out to 50yds with authority.

If all you want to do is deal with starlings, I would suggest a HW50s from our forum store. Inexpensive, accurate. Will deal with the pest. Save the money spent on a pump or tank(you'll still need scope and mounts) learn to shoot it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:03 am 

Since you are obviously not against laying out good money for quality, I would say enjoy your FX and if down the road you want the convenience of a quality spring gun, you could grab one then.

All of my TX200s are in .177 and set from 10.6 to about 11.6 fpe. They shoot so well at that power level. I did some shooting yesterday with the 11.6 fpe gun and was knocking targets down up to 50+ yards with ease.

When the time comes, drop me a PM and we can start a conversation.