Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Xisco 46U Underlever
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 8:28 pm 

Hello ... I just received a Xisco 46U from Wes at Airgun Archery Fun .... Beautiful gun but I have one problem that I never had since I’ve been buying firearms and now airguns only is that my scope needs to be shimmed which I have never done ... At 40 feet,it is 5 inches below with my scope set right to the top and can’t go higher ... I must bring the back of scope up and want to know if I install shims or buy an adjustable scope rail . ? Have any of you bought this airgun ?
Any help will be appreciated !!

Danny

Post subject: Re: Xisco 46U Underlever
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:42 pm 

Calling card works for me, if you want it thicker, use expired credit card

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:43 pm 

Five inches at 40 feet is quite dramatic.
This is an underlever springer, right? So barrel droop is not the issue. The first thing I would suggest you do is shoot it with the irons and see how it performs. Are you sure it is shooting at its expected power level? If so, and it's shooting fairly well on irons, then it's likely a ring/scope issue. Are you using high mounts? Do you have a history with the scope?

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 5:26 am 

Scope should be as close to the barrel as possible when mounted and if it is close:

First off I would switch the rings around. Make the back ring your front ring. Check bottom of rings. Some cheap rings comes with felt in the bottom. Perhaps one in front is missing. if so remove back one also. if there are none and you decide to shim, I use shims out of Pop can. Make sure shims are perfectly centred in bottom of ring or it throws off the right to left.

CHEERS!

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 7:01 am 

If you use a shim inside the ring, be careful when tightening down the cap. Over tightening may crush the scope tube, destroying your scope. Please don't ask me how I know this. Two of my springers have barrel droop. I use stiff paper (matchbook) rather than sheet aluminum or brass. The paper shims have been on my two "droopy" springers for years now.

Too soon old too late smart.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:43 am 

hi

had a Browning leverage(same as 46U) and definitely barrel droop on that rifle, shimming the back ring works as i had the same problem

Mr Eustler describes exactly that;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxPYIrWr8SY&t=333s

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:53 am 

robipaul wrote:
hi

had a Browning leverage(same as 46U) and definitely barrel droop on that rifle, shimming the back ring works as i had the same problem

Mr Eustler describes exactly that;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxPYIrWr8SY&t=333s

I concur. My old Leverage came with rings marked front and back and the rear rings did need shimming. In the video, start at 5:00 minute mark for the droop and scope discussion. So shim away and you should be good to go. I'd use some thick sheet plastic like off of a shell wrap package from Costco, just get a nice flat section.

Duke ))))----//----------==

HW97K .22
Cometa Fusion Premiere .22
Hatsan AT44-10W .22
Hatsan AT44-10MW .22
Atremis Hybrid PCP .22
Daisy 953 .177

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:39 pm 

The best way to combat excessively shooting low, is with a scope base that has built-in cant.
The base on the top rifle has 17.1 minutes of angle built-in. It is designed to combat barrel droop
problems. Shimming in side the rings can leade to crushed scope tubes to the offset rings in the rings.
The proper method is with an angled base as shown in this picture.
I bought the rings/base from D&L Air Guns in Richmond. Most air gun supply shops have this sort of base.

Attachments:
HW Rifles and Scopes 65 percent.jpg
HW Rifles and Scopes 65 percent.jpg [ 232.8 KiB | Viewed 307 times ]