Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun May 31, 2020 10:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:15 am 

Hi folks,
Upon returning to this hobby after many decades I was surprised to learn how powerful modern BB guns can be. Not to mention often cheaper to buy, cheaper ammo, larger magazines, quicker to load, as authentic looking replicas as their pellet counterparts.
Is the day of pellets coming to an end? If not what advantages do pellets hold?
I hope there are some advantages, lol, since I just bought a Ruger 10/22 CO2 pellet air rifle, Gamo PT-85 pellet pistol, and a Dan Wesson pellet revolver. I'll be buying a BB gun soon, so I might answer my own question.
Which BB pistol would you recommend?

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:28 am 

BBs have their place, pellets have their place. Neither will ever disappear. Now what you didn’t mention and if you’re just getting back into it, slugs are now growing in popularity.

BBs are amazing for semi auto pistols, they index perfectly allowing for quick shots without some sort of funky belt fed setup that takes away from the fun. So the replicas benefit from BBs, especially for full auto fun like the R1, DPMS, Beretta, new Crosman Pistol.

Pellets are needed for hunting, target shooting, accuracy. I have yet to see a great replica pellet rifle or pistol. But pellets or slugs in rifles for hunting and target shooting, will never disappear.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 11:42 am 

Well put Replica.

I would also add that since by their nature, BB guns normally have smooth barrels whereas pellet guns have rifled barrels, on average a pellet gun will be a bit more accurate than a BB gun.

For example, a Umarex Colt pellet Peacemaker will normally be more accurate than the same gun in the BB version.

Also Jbanel, you should look at all of the new shell loading BB & pellet airguns. Adds even more to the realism of a wheel gun.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:09 pm 

As to accuracy past 10 feet, a BB gun cannot even start to compete with pellet guns.
No contest.
So - range, accuracy & power are the advantages of pellets over BB's.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:34 pm 

Just two different things for different purpose and buyers...

Never think I could focus on accuracy when buying a BB gun. My M92A1 spreads (I am not talking about 'groups' on a BB gun...) wider than a letter size paper when shooting 2 meters away on full auto... But I still keep this M92 and sold the other M92 FS in pellet form...

And never think I would look for an accurate airgun in replica form and have a blow back function either...

Just about how to take the balance and what you are going to sacrifice...

HW45 with customized grips from UK
Russian Izzy 46M
2240+14" barrel
Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 6:41 pm 

replicacanada wrote:
BBs have their place, pellets have their place. Neither will ever disappear. Now what you didn’t mention and if you’re just getting back into it, slugs are now growing in popularity.

BBs are amazing for semi auto pistols, they index perfectly allowing for quick shots without some sort of funky belt fed setup that takes away from the fun. So the replicas benefit from BBs, especially for full auto fun like the R1, DPMS, Beretta, new Crosman Pistol.

Pellets are needed for hunting, target shooting, accuracy. I have yet to see a great replica pellet rifle or pistol. But pellets or slugs in rifles for hunting and target shooting, will never disappear.

Those full auto BB guns look like fun. I'll try one. The Crosman P1 is probably at the op of my list. Hope you do a review.

I assume slugs are for higher-powered air guns. I wanted to get into that territory until I found how much of a pain it is to get a PAL these days.So I'll stick to the under 500 fps guns.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 6:51 pm 

BB1Shooter wrote:
Well put Replica.

I would also add that since by their nature, BB guns normally have smooth barrels whereas pellet guns have rifled barrels, on average a pellet gun will be a bit more accurate than a BB gun.

For example, a Umarex Colt pellet Peacemaker will normally be more accurate than the same gun in the BB version.

Also Jbanel, you should look at all of the new shell loading BB & pellet airguns. Adds even more to the realism of a wheel gun.

I have a Dan Wesson 715 4 inch barrel pellet gun on order. Love those shiny brass shells.

I suspect accuracy and power is not going to be a priority for me as I don't have room for a long range. I'll go for the fun factor though. Enjoying my Gamo PT 85, esp the blowback and realistic feel. Planning to try a a full auto BB gun.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 6:55 pm 

Daryl wrote:
As to accuracy past 10 feet, a BB gun cannot even start to compete with pellet guns.
No contest.
So - range, accuracy & power are the advantages of pellets over BB's.

I think that sums it up well, Daryl. I'm going to keep buying both types, as they both have different qualities..

Last edited by Jbanel on Sat May 23, 2020 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 6:58 pm 

YepYep wrote:
And never think I would look for an accurate airgun in replica form and have a blow back function either...

Give a Desert Eagle a try if you get a chance.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 7:04 pm 

YepYep wrote:

Never think I could focus on accuracy when buying a BB gun. My M92A1 spreads (I am not talking about 'groups' on a BB gun...) wider than a letter size paper when shooting 2 meters away on full auto... But I still keep this M92 and sold the other M92 FS in pellet form...

I agree. No need to choose between the two. I'm going to keep getting both types. I suspect BB guns in general have more fun factor - many with full auto capability that I'm looking forward to.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 7:25 pm 

Jbanel, if you want the realism of the shell loading, plus accuracy at short to medium range, maybe try out the newer shell loading/ejecting Umarex Legends Cowboy Lever Action BB Rifle (non-rifled barrel). It is styled after the Winchester 1894. You can use both BB's & pellets in it (10 BB cartridges included, need to buy pellet cartridges separately).

Comes in both PAL & non-PAL versions.

Mine has dead on accuracy at 24 ft. in my indoor range, with both BB's & pellets.

I think it is the most accurate airgun that you can get that shoots both BB's & pellets, without any risk of damaging the barrel. As it is a BB gun that can also shoot pellets.

https://youtu.be/2id3uKTbp_k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuyBaHng_F8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iHGpaDYap8

Available at most major airgun shops.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:37 pm 

lleader wrote:
YepYep wrote:

Give a Desert Eagle a try if you get a chance.

Thanks for the tip, Ileader. Love the silver one. Excellent fps for what it is, and very authentic looking.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:55 pm 

BB1Shooter wrote:
Jbanel, if you want the realism of the shell loading, plus accuracy at short to medium range, maybe try out the newer shell loading/ejecting Umarex Legends Cowboy Lever Action BB Rifle (non-rifled barrel). It is styled after the Winchester 1894. You can use both BB's & pellets in it (10 BB cartridges included, need to buy pellet cartridges separately).

Comes in both PAL & non-PAL versions.

Mine has dead on accuracy at 24 ft. in my indoor range, with both BB's & pellets.

I think it is the most accurate airgun that you can get that shoots both BB's & pellets, without any risk of damaging the barrel. As it is a BB gun that can also shoot pellets.

https://youtu.be/2id3uKTbp_k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuyBaHng_F8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iHGpaDYap8

Available at most major airgun shops.

That's the rifle I always wanted as a kid! I gave this la ook but didn't know it was so accurate and authentic, or that it works with BBs and pellets. I would go for the non-PAL version. Thanks for the review links.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:12 pm 

Jbanel wrote:
YepYep wrote:

I agree. No need to choose between the two. I'm going to keep getting both types. I suspect BB guns in general have more fun factor - many with full auto capability that I'm looking forward to.

PS I had no idea that model was also a fill auto. A stealth machine gun. Love it.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:49 pm 

Jbanel wrote:
That's the rifle I always wanted as a kid! I gave this la ook but didn't know it was so accurate and authentic, or that it works with BBs and pellets. I would go for the non-PAL version. Thanks for the review links.

https://youtu.be/FpOWkpcIbGk

This was a little video I did on this rifle, very fun and accurate for a BB gun.