Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:20 pm 

I want to get back into air rifle shooting, with the following activities, objectives, and constraints, and need some advice:

- I want to shoot Field Target, Hunter Field Target, Silhouette, and simple long distance paper target shooting seeking the smallest group sizes the combination of rifle, pellet, and my own skill sets will allow.

- I will NOT be using the rifle for any form of actual hunting - just the above target shooting activities.

- I want to be able to shoot with high accuracy to 75 and 100 yards - no worse than 1 MOA 5-shot group size (I've been spoiled by firearm rifles that give 0.5 MOA). I don't need POWER at 75 or 100 yards, but DO need accuracy. But I also recognize that a typically accurate "10-meter competition" rifle would be wonderfully accurate but simply way underpowered to shoot 75 or 100 yards.

- Being a firearms reloader, I LOVE load development, so a PCP rifle that enables adjustment of things like regulator pressure, hammer pressure, and other variables beyond simply pellet choices, would be nice, and the ability to shoot at multiple reproducible pellet velocity settings is very desirable to me for load optimization for the different activities.

- I would strongly prefer a .22 caliber rifle, as that seems a reasonable compromise enabling decent trajectory/crosswind resistance while still keeping pellet cost very reasonable (around $0.03 or $0.04 per shot here in Canada) compared to larger caliber pellets (whose price here in Canada soars for .25 and .30 caliber pellets). I got out of firearm rifle shooting when the cost per round hit more than $1.00.

- I value stock adjustability a LOT as well as trigger adjustability and crispness.

- I don't mind spending what it takes for the one-time "right" rifle and air supply setup, but I want to keep the ongoing cost per shot low so that I can afford to shoot way more rounds ("Practice makes perfect").

- Since I am in a small community far from ANY airgun servicing facility, and since the shipping distances (and costs) in Canada to ANYWHERE are huge, I place a high priority on reliability. A rifle that needs frequent warranty or maintenance visits is not going to be acceptable (e.g. I've heard very bad things about some of the FX rifles' reliability).

And yes, I know I need a PAL for an air rifle of the type I want, and that's not a problem. My RPAL application is at The RCMP right now.

What manufacturers and specific models should I be looking at?

What should I expect to pay?

Being in Canada, where should I buy?

What dealerships in Canada have skilled service departments and reliably rapid-turnaround on repairs and modifications? I ask because I realize that the rifles you guys/gals are likely to recommend will come from Europe or at least The U.S., and availability of "nearby" service could be very important.

Jim G

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:47 pm 

if you want to shoot 100 yards, first recommendation is scope mount that is like the FX no limit, as this is capable of the tilt to compensate for the trajectory, as for the rifle itself, you will need rifle that can be adjusted in many different section like hammer spring, transfer port adjustability and adjustable external regulator as much as possible, shooting that .22 pellet will at too much power will make the pellet fly crazy, and shooting below 100 yards, you will need to scale down a lot of adjustment from a 100 yards settings. regular pcp with just one adjustable control will only be good at a certain distance and will not cover the whole range up to 100 yards, as for vendor support here in Canada, can say bec I don't have an expensive gun like FX or Daystate.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:10 pm 

Pistolero: Thanks for the heads-up on the scope mount. You are of course correct - I'll need a mount with at least a built-in tilt or adjustability.

Jim G

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:36 pm 

You're welcome.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:40 am 

Yep I'd think your choices at present in Canada for top quality pcp guns with good warranty support and all the bells and whistles are the Air Arms and FX guns from airgunsource. The Dreamline with the power plenum is a great choice, for a reasonable price. If you get the Dreamline Tact you can customize your stock however you like and it has a great adjustable trigger, plus all the other adjustments, hammer spring adjustment, port adjustment, regulator adjustment, optional slug barrel, everything you can think of. 8)
If you're

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:51 am 

Location: Southern Gulf Islands, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
Hello Jim,

I’d have to agree with Wes on the FX Streamline recommendation- lightweight, highly adjustable, incredibly accurate and reliable. Matched up with the no limits mounting rings, I think all your bases are covered.

Cheers!

Avianmanor

*Air Arms S510 Extra*Artemis M11 MK II*CZ 200S*Benjamin Marauder*Brocock Concept*Cometa Orion*Daystate Huntsman*Daystate Revere*FX Dreamline*FX Streamline*Hatsan BT65*Kral Puncher*Reximex RPA*QB78D*Weihrauch HW100S*Artemis PP700SA*PP750*Snowpeak CP1-M*

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:46 am 

I would recommend the Fx Dreamliner or crown in 22 or a Daystate Redwolf in 22 , based on what you want to do, kelly

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:11 pm 

Thanks for the recommendations, guys. Questions:

1. You say "Streamline" and then "Dreamline". Are these 2 different models from FX?

2. When I was doing some basic recent research, I saw many mentions of quality problems with FX, especially on the Crown model, as they expanded their lineup so quickly. Is this still a problem?

Jim G

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:30 pm 

Kelly1: The Daystate Red Wolf is an interesting rifle:

1. In my first superficial look at it online, it SEEMS to use a fundamentally different approach than FX does. It seems to use electronics to control the common air rifle variables, versus external mechanical adjustments. It also SEEMS to limit your choices to 3 or so specific power levels versus a continuum of settings. Am I understanding it correctly? And, what is the reliability record on the Red Wolf?

2. Is the Daystate Red Wolf, or ANY PCP rifle for that matter, consistently capable of sub MOA 5-shot groups at 100 yards under ideal no-wind conditions, with the right pellet, from solid "benchrest" type support, and with a suitably skilled shooter? I want to make sure I am not chasing something not attainable in the air rifle world.

Jim G

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:34 pm 

JimGnitecki wrote:
Thanks for the recommendations, guys. Questions:

1. You say "Streamline" and then "Dreamline". Are these 2 different models from FX?

2. When I was doing some basic recent research, I saw many mentions of quality problems with FX, especially on the Crown model, as they expanded their lineup so quickly. Is this still a problem?

Jim G

Seems to me the Dreamline is more adjustable than the Streamline. Yes - 2 slightly different models from what I can see. No - I own neither.

If I was interested in longer range target shooting, it would be with an FX Impact although I would like a Dreamline with a walnut stock as well.
I just bought an E-bike for $3,500.00 so will not be able to get the air rifles. :(

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:45 pm 

Location: Southern Gulf Islands, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
Jim,

FX Dreamline and Streamline are two different models -all the information you need is posted on FX's Web Site. The Dreamline model replaces the previous Streamline. I own Air Arms, Daystate and FX -although I personally think the Daystate is the most refined product of the three (just oozes quality), the FX is the most ergonomic to use, consistent in terms of accuracy, and by far more adjustable. I've had no reliability issues with any of my FX rifles. Cannot speak from experience to groupings you are quoting at 100 yards as I haven't done any FT at that range.

Avianmanor

*Air Arms S510 Extra*Artemis M11 MK II*CZ 200S*Benjamin Marauder*Brocock Concept*Cometa Orion*Daystate Huntsman*Daystate Revere*FX Dreamline*FX Streamline*Hatsan BT65*Kral Puncher*Reximex RPA*QB78D*Weihrauch HW100S*Artemis PP700SA*PP750*Snowpeak CP1-M*

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:22 pm 

JimGnitecki wrote:
Kelly1: The Daystate Red Wolf is an interesting rifle:

1. In my first superficial look at it online, it SEEMS to use a fundamentally different approach than FX does. It seems to use electronics to control the common air rifle variables, versus external mechanical adjustments. It also SEEMS to limit your choices to 3 or so specific power levels versus a continuum of settings. Am I understanding it correctly? And, what is the reliability record on the Red Wolf?

2. Is the Daystate Red Wolf, or ANY PCP rifle for that matter, consistently capable of sub MOA 5-shot groups at 100 yards under ideal no-wind conditions, with the right pellet, from solid "benchrest" type support, and with a suitably skilled shooter? I want to make sure I am not chasing something not attainable in the air rifle world.

Jim G

Your right the Daystate is electronic and has a good track record, 3 presets and you can get a electronic tuner if needed.
Fx has a new crown coming out which should stiffen up the the barrel / action but as you don’t hunt I don’t think it should be a concern.
As far as accuracy ,pellet lots vary ,you have to tune and optimize your outfit to maintain those kind of groups, it can’t be assumed to be 100% repeatable but they are capable of that kind of accuracy, kelly

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:56 pm 

The Weihrauch HW 100 is a top quality PCP. It is German-made and has a good deal of adjustability. They are available at D&L Airguns.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:47 pm 

kelly1 wrote:
JimGnitecki wrote:
Kelly1:

. . .

Jim G

Your right the Daystate is electronic and has a good track record, 3 presets and you can get a electronic tuner if needed.
Fx has a new crown coming out which should stiffen up the the barrel / action but as you don’t hunt I don’t think it should be a concern.
As far as accuracy ,pellet lots vary ,you have to tune and optimize your outfit to maintain those kind of groups, it can’t be assumed to be 100% repeatable but they are capable of that kind of accuracy, kelly

There's a tuner available for it? From Daystate or aftermarket?

I do love the apparent quality of Daystate rifles!

Jim G

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:50 pm 

Penage Guy wrote:
The Weihrauch HW 100 is a top quality PCP. It is German-made and has a good deal of adjustability. They are available at D&L Airguns.

I did find that model online and heard some good things about it, but do not see it mentioned much when talking about long range air rifle shooting. I'm not sure it has the power and repeatable accuracy for the 75 to 100 yard shooting. Does it?

Jim G