Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon May 17, 2021 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:51 am 

Iam curious if anyone out there has taken apart a gamo varmint.177 495 fps?i recently took my crosman phantom apart and i am curently wainting for my spring and piston to come in the mail.the canadain phantom i bought didnt have the bleed whold in it.that made me wonder if the gamo varmint may have a bleed whole piston because it does feel like it has a good spring judging by the force needed .so iam wondering if anhone has upgraded a gamo varmint 495 fps? Is anyone aware of a good site in canada to order parts ect ?Sorry about my poor spelling and grammer lol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:56 am 

Not sure about the Gamo, but some (like the Benjamin trail Nitro piston) use a longer piston.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:55 pm 

That's only 1 of the methods. I've seen short piston with weaker spring, short piston with full power spring with a relief hole drilled.

You have no idea till you take it apart really.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:42 pm 

I have taken my 495 varmint and opened up to 900fps without doing anything more than making the transfer port bigger. Be careful go just a tiny bit at a time till hit the velocity you would like. I can’t remember the final size I ended up at but I have it referenced in my shop and I can tell you exactly how big I went. Only do this if you have a PAL!! Just reach out and I can get the info to you.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:09 pm 

How is the recoil with the varmint 900 fps im just curious i think that would be alittle to much for me

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:27 pm 

No commercial air rifle actually kicks hard enough to hurt you. None. With more air rifle recoil
comes scope damage is all - the double whammy. None of them actually kick as much as a .22
Hornet sporter & an 8 year old kid hit a 3 1/2" x 5" steel plate at 234yards with mine, 5 times in
a row, with just a little instruction. His dad only hit the plate 3 times out of 5. His 12 year old
sister missed once. The kids got instruction, the parent didn't need it nor did he pay attention
when I was instructing his kids. He said "I know how to shoot".

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:36 pm 

Not sure about that Daryl, my xs28 seems to kick harder than a 223. Not saying it'll hurt you, but it's pretty good recoil for an airgun. Could be that something is out of whack.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:10 pm 

I kinda ment the recoilesses up my shots i find with springers but that could just be me not getting used to it.