Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:51 pm 

I understand these tips are not required by law in Canada.

I'm not planning to use these in games. I just like the idea of safer biodegradable pellets around the yard. So can I remove the tips easily?

I'm interested in something compact like the Makarov PM and Bersa BP9cc.
Thanks,
Joe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:33 pm 

Are the plastic 6mm balls more biodegradable than copper or lead. Both of those CAME from the ground. Does not hurt to return them.
As far as the plastic tips are concerned - do you have a hacksaw? As far as legality is concerned, I am surprised that all of those
air soft guns are not prohibited as they are not BB guns, nor sub-500fps pellet firing guns, but are replicas of real guns - which are prohibited
by law. I just don't understand the laws of this country.
Replica guns, not being air guns that can cause injury, were declared prohibited devices to protect police who might happen to shoot someone
who is using one of those non-weapons in an illegal manner, even tough they are not firearms. That they were not using a firearm does not come
into the equation, as they were using/threatening bodily harm using a prohibited device. BANG!BANG!BANG!BANG!BANG!BANG! (revolver) BANG!BANG!BANG!BANG!
BANG!BANG!BANG!BANG!BANG!BANG!BANG!BANG!(semi -18shot)
Now, we have exact replica air soft guns - Hmmmmmmm.
The answer is yes - the plastic tips can most likely be removed. Many on the Canadian market don't even have them.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:29 pm 

Quote:
I'm interested in something compact like the Makarov PM and Bersa BP9cc.

I have not seen these two pistols in airsoft, but I do know that Daryl is correct; very few
handgun replicas sold in Canada have the orange tip.

Daryl is also right in suggesting that those that do are affixed to be permanent. Controlled
heat will probably be required to remove them, which, as Daryl also said, is perfectly acceptable
in Canada.

Finally, if you're shooting those biodegradable BBs in your back yard, I hope you're prepared
to be there for quite a while to see those BBs "biodegrade." :wink:

If you're in a location that you can shoot in your back yard, (are you sure about that?), why
not shoot something more accurate than airsoft BBs? BB and/or pellet traps will confine your
refuse to their quarters.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:04 am 

My Grandkids spend hours picking up what they call "jewels" from my lawn at the trailer park. Little game they play to see who can find the most and Grandpa has to count them so they know who is collecting the most "jewels". I even scare black birds from my bird feeder sometimes. I have a perminate target on my lawn I shoot and in four years no one has ever asked me what the target is for. LOL I only shoot spring pistols as people cant hear them. i like orange tip in case a newbie to the park walks by and sees me which happens on occassion. But yes I have one that does not have orange tip. It mostly sits in the trailer and gets shot out from inside trailer through door slider. CHEERS!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:58 pm 

I'd be very careful about the black-bird scaring scenario. The criminal code has a section "cruelty to animals".
All it takes is a complaint from a neighbour. Because it is not a Provincial law, nuisance 'animals' might not be
recognized, especially with the anti-gun sentiments. The police at this time will be actually looking for stats
to back up even more stringent laws against our sport. This is the way THAT game works. Make a law, then
go after stats to show their law was good, or not good enough and needs changing to be even more restrictive.
S.O.P.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:48 pm 

HAHA Hope the cops can fly to go ask the black bird if it hurt or just freaked him out. LOL

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:02 pm 

If it shoots over 366fps it can injure someone so it's not considered a replica, so you can remove the orange tip.
If it shoots under 366fps it's not considered a replica it needs the orange tip and is very often made of clear or tinted plastic.

As much as I love airguns. I can't shoot them in my backyard without surrounding neighbors knowing about it and they're not the type who would accept that kind of wrong behavior in their neighboorhood :ANAL: (the jerk living behind me constantly breaks similar bylaws but the law would still be on his side if I'm caught shooting) so airsoft has to do.
I bought 2 sniper rifles (Remington 700ish) and we have a blast. Those things are mouse fart quiet. Similar to a nerf gun.
They do say "biodegradable" on the BB package so it has to be under X amount of time before it fully decomposes or they can't use the term... well see, I guess it's better than 200 years like regular plastic?
Sure I'm not cutting dandelions stems like I can do with a PCP but I can hit the flower!

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:11 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:27 pm 

wheeliehd wrote:
HAHA Hope the cops can fly to go ask the black bird if it hurt or just freaked him out. LOL

Very funny - but, all they have to do it see you are shooting AT animals or birds and that is all that is necessary, then in
court, you will be asked if you did shoot "THIS" gun at that bird. Answer yes and that is all that is necessary, when you
do not have a valid reason for doing so, as in allowed pest control or hunting. If a cop sees you, you will be convicted.
Either way, you will lose all of your guns at least for the duration of the trial & likely forever if convicted.
Nowdays, they are so intent on proving they are making life safer for you, they broadcast loud and clear they had confiscated
a shipment of prohibited firearms, once again saving the public. (They turned out to be not firearms at all, but plastic starter pistols)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:06 am 

Daryl wrote:
wheeliehd wrote:

Very funny - but, all they have to do it see you are shooting AT animals or birds and that is all that is necessary, then in
court, you will be asked if you did shoot "THIS" gun at that bird. Answer yes and that is all that is necessary, when you
do not have a valid reason for doing so, as in allowed pest control or hunting. If a cop sees you, you will be convicted.
Either way, you will lose all of your guns at least for the duration of the trial & likely forever if convicted.
Nowdays, they are so intent on proving they are making life safer for you, they broadcast loud and clear they had confiscated
a shipment of prohibited firearms, once again saving the public. (They turned out to be not firearms at all, but plastic starter pistols)

You're making a mountain out of mole hill. People shoot at pests all the time with BB guns, airsoft, and paintball guns. HECK was a time people shot shotguns at kids/teens with rock salt.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:05 pm 
Supporting Members

leadslinger wrote:
Daryl wrote:
wheeliehd wrote:

You're making a mountain out of mole hill. People shoot at pests all the time with BB guns, airsoft, and paintball guns. HECK was a time people shot shotguns at kids/teens with rock salt.

Thats not something we like to promote here at CAF, but I get your point.
I think the question has been answered from the OP so this topic is locked before it goes down the rabbit hole......

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]