Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: What does your 97 like ?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:59 pm 

admittedly i haven't shot this rifle much, bought it in 2014, shot it about 100 times and it seems the sear would no longer engage, under warranty i sent it back to SSSO at the time, they opened the rifle and found a broken main spring, they replaced the spring and sent it back, it has been in my gun cabinet ever since, i thought this one was a JSB lover...guess i was wrong, it likes H&N FTT's

for you HW97 owners out there, is this your experience, or does it like another pellet ?

mine is full power BTW :prayer:

Attachments:
IMG_2744.JPG
IMG_2744.JPG [ 541.09 KiB | Viewed 1498 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:05 pm 

Never tried H&N, but mine likes JSB Exact RS close to 500 fps (it's non-PAL), and also JSB Exact @ somewhat less speed. I always feed it RS.

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:48 pm 

Dukemeister wrote:
Never tried H&N, but mine likes JSB Exact RS close to 500 fps (it's non-PAL), and also JSB Exact @ somewhat less speed. I always feed it RS.

i haven't tried the RS in it, i usually keep those for lower FPS rifles, they are light, slimmer and usually group well, i may try it, who knows

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:40 pm 

I've posted this before, but this is what mine likes, dislikes and likes less than the JSB Cometa 4.51mm.
I have since found out it also likes the JSB Cometa 8.44gr. 4.,52mm pellets just as well. It however does
not do as well with the regular JSB 8.44gr. Diabolo 4.51mm pellets. Go figure. Green label only.
This page of targets was shot at 20yards from a rest, resting the forend on the bag at the pivot screws
for the cocking lever same location as you would for any normal rifle. Where I rest this rifle on the forend
doesn't seem to change the accuracy, but does change the point of impact. As I hold the rifle out by the
forend screws when shooting offhand, I rest it there when shooting off bags. This gives me the same point
of impact. This is a 14-14.5fpe rifle.

Attachments:
HW97 177.JPG
HW97 177.JPG [ 634.44 KiB | Viewed 1385 times ]
HW97 20 yards.jpg
HW97 20 yards.jpg [ 65.5 KiB | Viewed 1385 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:56 pm 

All evidence points to one truth:
You must do pellet testing to find out which pellet(s) shoot best in every gun.
And a few generalities:
JSB Exacts are often in the top 3
Size and weight do matter
Pointed pellets are not usually in the top anywhere
Wadcutters are not usually good at long ranges say > 20 yards

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:13 pm 

did some more test this evening with the 97, at 25 yards, seems it likes H&N FTT, JSB exact heavies, and the exacts did well this evening

i do have a mystery on my hands, found a little screw on the ground, i think it belongs to either the 97 or the 34 trigger group...i'll have to investigate, both seems to work fine as far as trigger

Attachments:
IMG_2746.JPG
IMG_2746.JPG [ 550 KiB | Viewed 1367 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:17 pm 

Well there you have it. You do have a screw loose!
Sorry, I can't resist those sorts of things. My wife constantly reminds me she doesn't find me funny... then again she doesn't are for airguns either so...I hope you get a chuckle.

The trigger groups do have adjustment screws, and may work for a while with one missing. Check to be sure.

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:20 am 

One thing I did with mine a long time ago, was to remove all the stock screws and blue lock-tight them. The have remained tight.
I do check them now and then. Be aware that all springers will loosen screws. The magnum types are more of a problem with this
but they all will tend to loosen screws - at least the higher powered ones will. I have had to tighten the screws on both of my HW's.
Try the JSB Cometa 8.44gr. pellets - 4.51mm and 4.52mm. They are head and shoulders ahead of the others I tested. Perhaps your rifle will
agree too.
There is a 7.9gr. Cometa, but my rifle did not like those.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:25 pm 

stupid question here, what is the difference between JSB's and JSB cometa ?

checked the under belly of all 3 rifles i shot there this week, diana 24 with T05, Diana 34 with T06, and my HW97, at first glance they all have their visible little screws, checked some Youtube vids where these triggers are taken apart, the only screws remotely similar are the ones in the Diana trigger blade, none of those are missing, wonder if that wasn't picked up(from spare parts) and deposited within the stock by a magnetic screwdriver, then shaken out by shooting the rifles..... i may have to take them apart

pic of the screw, threads are only near the head of the screw :?:

Attachments:
IMG_20200619_141525[3695].jpg
IMG_20200619_141525[3695].jpg [ 296.89 KiB | Viewed 1338 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:16 pm 

That looks like a form of "pivot" screw. Can't help with location, though.
As to the difference in pellets, the green & white box saying "Cometa", are the match versions of the standard
JSB Diabolo pellets, is all. There is a difference in the way they shoot, that's for sure, group wise, that is.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:14 pm 

robipaul wrote:

checked the under belly of all 3 rifles i shot there this week, diana 24 with T05, Diana 34 with T06, and my HW97, at first glance they all have their visible little screws, checked some Youtube vids where these triggers are taken apart, the only screws remotely similar are the ones in the Diana trigger blade, none of those are missing, wonder if that wasn't picked up(from spare parts) and deposited within the stock by a magnetic screwdriver, then shaken out by shooting the rifles..... i may have to take them apart

pic of the screw, threads are only near the head of the screw :?:

Long shot, but could it be screw 3 from your T-06?

Attachments:
T062.JPG
T062.JPG [ 76.87 KiB | Viewed 1312 times ]

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:59 am 

That makes sense, Duke. The post running up inside the spring.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:30 am 

took the stock off all 3, absolutely no screws missing and all rifles are working as they should, short of taking the trigger groups apart; i'll have to default back to my theory of the last gun smith dropping that screw in the stock of the 97 by mistake, fell out of the stock while cocking it, come to think of it, i do point the 97 up in the air when i cock it :|

i'll keep the screw in a safe place just in case i missed something, thanks guys

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:44 pm 

Interesting - good idea, robipaul.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:43 pm 

RWS Superpoints, the "ring" when they leave the barrel, or the barrel rings. Sounds cool