Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:24 pm 

Hello iam currently upgrading spring piston in my crosman phantom.iam wondering if anyone else has?iam wondering if ill need to replace spring guide tophat spacers washers or anything aswell?i have had some people say no.but the parts iam getting are from crosman optimus and or quest i beleive.if anyone has some info please let me know thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:40 pm 
Site Moderator

I have a detuned .177cal Crosman Optimus from CanTire. It shot just under 500fps in unaltered form. I kept the long 170mm piston and installed a new spring to give 745fps with 7.9gr pellets. Same guide, same tophat, same spacer. I wanted something close to HW30S power so I played with the spacing until I got 625fps. I still enjoy the rifle at at that moderate power level. You can get more details here...

post506646.html?hilit=detuned%20optimus%20review#p506646

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:34 pm 

Oh good stuff. You didnt change the piston?i was thinking about doing it is it pretty straight forward butting the seal on a new piston do you use any lube or adhesive? Sorry i know that probably a dum question.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:48 pm 
Site Moderator

I didn't change the piston on my detuned Optimus. I wanted a 625fps springer so the longer piston was the best way to go. I already have a full power Optimus if I want more power. I can have these rifles tuned to 475-940 fps. Mine are currently at 625fps and 760fps. You can change speed by swapping pistons, springs and changing spacers. For me it's about a good shooting rifle rather than high numbers.

I used some silicon lube to slip the seal onto the tapered cone. No adhesive needed. The seal fits very tight on the taper.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:09 pm 

There need to be a sticky. Because this is the 3rd Crosman break barrel to PAL rated upgrade, asked this week.

There is 3 methods that crosman uses to detune their spring break barrel.

I had a Phantom with a short piston, with a relief hole and full spring. Then had a vantage with short piston with a weak spring.

Never dealt with the long piston, or NP's.

But many ask if the person has a PAL, but what about the lurkers that don't?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:32 pm 
Site Moderator

leadslinger wrote:
There need to be a sticky. Because this is the 3rd Crosman break barrel to PAL rated upgrade, asked this week.

There is 3 methods that crosman uses to detune their spring break barrel.

I had a Phantom with a short piston, with a relief hole and full spring. Then had a vantage with short piston with a weak spring.

Never dealt with the long piston, or NP's.

But many ask if the person has a PAL, but what about the lurkers that don't?

With full respect I will give an opinion. Words can sound harsh if not put into context. These words are not meant to be harsh.

For over a decade we have seen postings about improving springers, CO2 and pumpers. We all have to police our own actions and ensure they comply with the law. The area we always should avoid is topics that encourage others to turn an airpistol into a restricted firearm or chop a PAL rated air rifle barrel below the legal length. I have had a PAL/FAC for 40 years so my rifle modifications are fine.

If this was a motorcycle forum, I could give advice on how to ride safely. However, I would expect readers to have a motorcycle license before trying my advice.

If the moderators' direction is to avoid all topics that bring any airgun from non-PAL to PAL.... then I will definitely comply. Just let me know.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:46 am 

Ya iam no criminal man.plinking shotting paper whatever is just happens to be a hobby and pass i share with my two younger brothers who are 12 13 and dont have a father to spend time doing manly activies.but i did have another question.i mentioned using spacers do you use washers? or did you buy them? Or could you use a bigger back spring guide?and the spacers do you but them on the bottom spring guide or spring assembly?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:52 am 

I do appricate your info. And i do understand you concern. Me personly iam not a violent person ill be 32 on this tuesday iam used to working six days a week ten hour days .but lately i havent done anything including work or socialize ect whatever since march.playing with air gun it helps me do something other then sitting infront of the television.