Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:54 pm 

I’ve yet to depressurize the gun yet and then re pressurize but my factory reg setting of 128bar has over the past few days has dropped down to 125 yesterday and now today is sitting at 120. Not much wonder my POI has changed as much as it has. I might have a faulty gauge but I have my doubts bc of the POI issue. I’m hoping I don’t have a bad o ring or worse.

Any ideas ?? Thank you

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:19 pm 

If there was a leak on the valve side the reg should keep the pressure up til your main tube drops below your reg setting. If the reg was creeping then the pressure would be higher not lower, so your problem seems opposite to that. Sounds like maybe your reg was just settling in a bit and the actual setting is now 120. I guess it could be the reg is not quite keeping things the same under high pressure as it is once the tube pressure is lowered somewhat. I've seen that with the PP700SA. The pressure would sometimes be higher with the tube filled to max and would drop some as the pressure went down. Once you fill it full again you'll see if the reg pressure goes up once more.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:21 pm 

wesb2007 wrote:
If there was a leak on the valve side the reg should keep the pressure up til your main tube drops below your reg setting. If the reg was creeping then the pressure would be higher not lower, so your problem seems opposite to that. Sounds like maybe your reg was just settling in a bit and the actual setting is now 120. I guess it could be the reg is not quite keeping things the same under high pressure as it is once the tube pressure is lowered somewhat. I've seen that with the PP700SA. The pressure would sometimes be higher with the tube filled to max and would drop some as the pressure went down. Once you fill it full again you'll see if the reg pressure goes up once more.

Appreciate the input wes. Ya I’m not exactly sure what’s going on but I can share that my initial Ninja tank fill by the time the portable tank pressure cooled and settled it was just under 250bar which I topped up my guns bottle. Then every top up after that obviously was less and less going into the gun. But the gun was tuned and hitting spot on at 50 yds. Then Thursday I ran to get the portable tank filled the 2nd time and before I left the refill place I filled my gun up and it was over 250bar and I’m not sure if somehow that extra pressure might’ve possibly done something to go haywire but the day after I noticed my reg pressure had all of a sudden dropped down to 121 and then as the guns tank pressure was nearing 200bar the reg somehow dropped further down to 120 which seemed to effect my POI.. I kept thinking, no I didn’t bump the barrel because the gun kept hitting low and so I raised the scope up and in short order it was hitting low again. That’s when I noticed the reg way down.

If i had more air to mess with I’d depressurize this gun and recharge it then dry fire 4 or 5 times to see where the reg would settle at but unfortunately this weekend that’s not an option because my Ninja tank leaked all the air out. Maybe I was t meant to shoot this weekend to possibly save me from an angry starling attacking me, not sure

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:12 pm 

POA I meant to say

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:11 am 

Interesting, yeah does sound like something happened to the regulator. Guess you'll find out once you get a steady source of air, and see if it stabilizes or not.
At least you escaped the mad starling! 8)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:36 pm 

I had enough air to depressurize and then repressurize and sure enough she’s still at 120bar so I bumped it back up to where factory had it set 128bar. Here’s hoping and I’ll know tomorrow once I get air refill and this tank fixed, but I’m hoping now that I’ve shot enough pellets through it that it settled in and will hold. Maybe I’m just dreaming too haha.

Do you shoot an FX yourself Wes ??

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:30 pm 

A lower setting on the regulator shouldn't affect accuracy, at least until you tank gets to 128bar... after which you might not have enough air pressure to achieve the desired velocity, and you shots would start to drop.

If you were shooting low with a full tank, there's something else that changed.
- Do you have access to chrono?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:31 pm 

sillymike wrote:
A lower setting on the regulator shouldn't affect accuracy, at least until you tank gets to 128bar... after which you might not have enough air pressure to achieve the desired velocity, and you shots would start to drop.

If you were shooting low with a full tank, there's something else that changed.
- Do you have access to chrono?

Goes to show how little I know because I figured reg pressure in conjunction with HST would effect drive pressure especially as low on the reg as I’m running.

Yes I bought myself a Caldwell chronie being the FX pocket radar seem to be out of stock in Canada.

So will this Regulated rifle maintain Semi consistent velocity until it reduces down close to what set reg pressure is ?? The neighbours teenage son was up for a visit this afternoon and he was t long going through 3 mags, almost think he might’ve been having fun but I was happy to see the reg holding steady just under 130 where I had reset it to yesterday.

At least now I have this 90CI ninja to help get me dialled back in until Travis gets my 98CF tank here this week.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:45 am 

That's great it seems to be holding now! I don't have one personally, but I've sold a few and worked on a couple repairing them, and had a Dreamline for awhile in stock that I used as a test model.
Great guns! Super accurate. I really like the Crown, beautiful stocks on them.
Hopefully all is well now.
Regards,
Wes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:22 am 

The regulator (as its name imply) is there to regulate the air pressure coming out of the cylinder.

Using the graph below. Assuming both rifles started with a full 200 bar cylinder

- Red line. Regulated air rifle
If the regulator is set at 125bar. Every time the striker hits the cylinder. Air will be released at 125 bar...
Velocity will be be constant, as long as the internal air cylinder pressure is equal or greater than 125 bar.
When the internal pressure is below, the rifle will "fall off the regulator" and velocity will start to drop with each consecutive shots

- Blue line. Unregulated rifle
When the striker hits the cylinder, it will try to release as much air as possible.
First few shots, velocity will be lower, as internal pressure of the cylinder is putting more force on the valve.
As the internal pressure lowers, the hammer will be able to have the valve open for longer, increasing velocty. In the middle of the graph, you will see the rifle sweet-spot where there are less variations in the velocity
As the internal pressure drops further, less air will have time to make it out and velocity will drop.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:56 pm 

wesb2007 wrote:
That's great it seems to be holding now! I don't have one personally, but I've sold a few and worked on a couple repairing them, and had a Dreamline for awhile in stock that I used as a test model.
Great guns! Super accurate. I really like the Crown, beautiful stocks on them.
Hopefully all is well now.
Regards,
Wes

Haha I just dawn on me once I looked down and seen the link to your website who Wes is haha. Yes the Crown feels like home other than the weight of this Sidewinder makes me wonder if there isn’t possibly something else offered, and not that I’d use one, but something more compact along the lines of a red dot type without sacrificing accuracy. I’m not interested or at least right now, in competition. The 4-16X50 I have on the crown, i can’t seem to get it up much past 9 power before the black shadow comes and obstructs the viewing. I quickly looked into is it the ATN line but, I’m not so sure I’m interested in something more possibly go go wrong with batteries and are they not all digital ... surely there has to be something to allow 150yds out there.