Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:56 pm 

Sometimes licks just not on my side. Purchased this little tank new here a few weeks ago and went to have it filled at an approved fill location outside London and immediately it was pouring air where the valve screws into the tank. So the fellow fixed that for me and filled the tank. I went through that air fairly quick topping up my FX Crown. Then drove Thursday 1/2 hr each way to have it filled again. Once it cooled down I had just under 4500 PSI. then yesterday I went to top up my crowns bottle and that Ninja tank was sitting with just under 2000PSI. how frustrating knowing the prices these things somehow command them use what seems like the cheapest components they can find. End users shouldn’t have issues with these things had they actually been tested before they left their facility bc there’s no way this one was tested. I brought the tank home and did a water Dunk test and it still has the slightest leak at the neck and also at the fill port. I ordered a new 98CF Air Venturi which should be arriving this coming week and now have $400 plus tax goes up into this little ninja.

Then on top of this tank my brand new FX Crown, the reg pressure is creeping down but hey that’ll be another new topic, but ya not a great start to my introduction to the PCP world

My rant is done even tho I don’t feel much better because I can’t shoot my gun this weekend as I’d planned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:25 pm 

If it's leaking at the neck it must be that big oring is damaged or dirty or something. That should be an easy fix. The fill nipple leaking - is it leaking around the threads or out the fill hole? If it's threads, then hopefully it has a seal under the foster fitting and it just needs tightening a little.
If it's an npt fitting then you'll have to remove it, clean it and redo the loctite.
If it's leaking out the nipple your foster fitting must have a bit of dirt inside the sealing area and just needs to be removed and taken apart and cleaned.
But I suppose all that isn't going to help your shooting this weekend so thats a bummer.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:19 pm 

I use to have issues sealing those O-rings properly, one that helps was the thicker yellow Teflon tape from homedepot, I know many will say the wrap it couple of times, but this thicker Teflon I find a lot more forgiving and gets its right away in one try, just my 2 cents

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:05 pm 

wesb2007 wrote:
If it's leaking at the neck it must be that big oring is damaged or dirty or something. That should be an easy fix. The fill nipple leaking - is it leaking around the threads or out the fill hole? If it's threads, then hopefully it has a seal under the foster fitting and it just needs tightening a little.
If it's an npt fitting then you'll have to remove it, clean it and redo the loctite.
If it's leaking out the nipple your foster fitting must have a bit of dirt inside the sealing area and just needs to be removed and taken apart and cleaned.
But I suppose all that isn't going to help your shooting this weekend so thats a bummer.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

When the Licensed fella where I got the tank filled the first time removed the valve from the tank, we were both surprised how how carbon fibre shards were left inside the tank from the factory. We both agree the large o ring was fine. But ya it’s still sleeping around that neck and also through the centre of the fill port. Bottom line I shouldn’t have to deal with these issues running to get Teflon tape to fix this $400 tank. Only place I should be running too is the base of the tree to pick up dead starlings not fix brand new equipment. Sorry if I may sound a bit miffed, it’s because I have close to 3k tied up into a supposed best rifle on the market and a USA built tank and both of them after 2 weeks need repair.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:57 am 

The yellow Teflon is gas-pipe Teflon - definitely thicker.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:00 am 

Sometimes schtick happens.... I suggest you brush on soapy water to find the leak.... Could be the large O-ring, any of the things threaded into the regulator, the gauge itself (check the small hole in the back) or the regulator (at the output or around the bonnet).... Once you identify the leak, get back to us and we'll try and help....

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:47 pm 

Well for whatever reason Daryl, because I’m with you Teflon tape should be fine, but the guy that owns a paintball facility said he doesn’t like Teflon and used, if I’m not mistaken, a black loctite to seal the main valve where it screws into the tank

Hey Bob, ya it’s still has the slightest seep (yesterday) while submerged under water right at the neck of the tank where the valve meet. I’m confident the fire extinguisher business that fills tanks for all the local guys in Sarnia especially once I tell him the free fill they were kind enough to give me all leaked out, they’ll be able to get er sealed up. Just a Schiity deal. I’ve ordered a 98CF air Venturi from Travis that should be here this week and although I don’t really need this little tank as well, it’s still handy to have it

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:04 am 

Teflon tape is not a solution to leaks in a straight thread application . Teflon tape is for tapered thread seal applications .

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:44 am 

pelsby wrote:
Teflon tape is not a solution to leaks in a straight thread application . Teflon tape is for tapered thread seal applications .

Now there something new I just learned and it makes perfect sense.

I made the 1/2 truck north this morning to run the tank to Sarnia where they filled it last Thursday and told them where I noticed it was seeping and sure enough the valve that screws into the tank had a parallel split in the O ring. The repair man wasn’t as brave as the owner who filled it to 5000 on Thursday, but hey I was thankful to get it repaired and filled for free even if it was 4500.

Fingers crossed that’ll be the end of that and she’ll hold steady pressure now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:17 am 

Blackbirddown wrote:
pelsby wrote:

Tapered pipe fittings seal in the thread - there is no contact at ends of the fitting; parallel pipe fittings seal at the end. The pointy end is either flat or semi-spherical some with a seal, and the other end may have a flange with a seal. That's why tape or liquid can seal a taper (NPT) and may or may not help a parallel.

Duke ))))----//----------==

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:49 pm 

Dukemeister wrote:
Blackbirddown wrote:
pelsby wrote:

Tapered pipe fittings seal in the thread - there is no contact at ends of the fitting; parallel pipe fittings seal at the end. The pointy end is either flat or semi-spherical some with a seal, and the other end may have a flange with a seal. That's why tape or liquid can seal a taper (NPT) and may or may not help a parallel.

All these years and I never knew that National Pipe Thread was indeed tapered. Makes perfect sense though bc it’s always easy to start the threads mating while turning in. I’m guessing that if you wrapped Teflon tape right down to the bottom of the starting threads it’s not doing a thing until you turn threads in and they really start to hit fatter section where that tape helps seal mating surfaces up. And to think I’d be getting lessons on Teflon tape on an air gun forum.

Hey while I’m thinking about it, are there many members here who shoot these FX guns ?? I’ve had a few lead slingers in my years, granted mostly smoothbores but I’m some impressed how well this crown feels like home. Never in my wildest dreams thought a pelleter would have this impact on me (pun definitely intended)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:52 pm 

Blackbirddown wrote:

All these years and I never knew that National Pipe Thread was indeed tapered.

Indeed, actually without spiraling down a deep rabbit hole and hijacking this tread too far, the T stands for taper not thread. NPT = National Pipe Taper and similarly NPS is a National Pipe Straight thread.
The British standard uses BSPP for straight threads (British Standard Pipe Parallel), and British Standard Pipe Taper, BSPT.
I've been experimenting with PCP pressure gauges of late, need to get my threads straight! :drinkers:

Duke ))))----//----------==

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:35 pm 

Dukemeister wrote:
Blackbirddown wrote:

All these years and I never knew that National Pipe Thread was indeed tapered.

Indeed, actually without spiraling down a deep rabbit hole and hijacking this tread too far, the T stands for taper not thread. NPT = National Pipe Taper and similarly NPS is a National Pipe Straight thread.
The British standard uses BSPP for straight threads (British Standard Pipe Parallel), and British Standard Pipe Taper, BSPT.
I've been experimenting with PCP pressure gauges of late, need to get my threads straight! :drinkers:

Haha how much of a wiser hombre I’m quickly becoming on this site.
I can only imagine the mysterious puzzle it’ll be for me to figure out the pipe fittings I’ll need to set up this air Venturi 98CF tank as my buddy was suggesting i get a separate gauge and shut off knife type between the tank and gun. I jist thought of this tank comes already equipped with a valve, gauge, hose and female foster, am I’m not good to go as it will come ??

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:05 pm 

Well since owning this brand new $400 Ninja Lite EZ tank,within the past month I’ve had it repaired twice and then went to use it yesterday with a fresh fill, which was the 3rd time I’ve run 1/2 hr each way to get it filled.... Attach it to the gun, Slowly turn the knob CW and then as soon as it equalized out to what I had left in the guns bottle which was 160Bar, the wait pressure starting leaking around the valve stem and wouldn’t fill any further. Thankfully I just got my new 98CF air Venturi CBSA tank because this ninja is being returned. Retailer said he’d repair it but this is the 3rd and final time I care to deal eith a cheaply made item as this. Hope others have better luck with theirs than I’ve had.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:48 pm 

I'd return it.