Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Moly grease
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:18 pm 

Are there different types of moly grease. Would it be ok to use the ones sold at Canadian tire or do i need to buy it from the air gun stores as theirs is a specialize product?

Post subject: Re: Moly grease
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:34 pm 

I remember a while ago I was looking for this and doing exactly the same~ [emoji38]

The Molly from CT is not for airgun metal to metal lubes purpose... You need to find the else which contains at least 70% molly in the paste... I remember the one you can buy from CT is just 3% or 5% something...

Actually if you need to tune your springer (if not, I don't think you would need molly paste...usually don't), buy the tune kits that comes with Molly... Just a very very little will last you a very very long time~ so you don't need to get a lot and store in the house ~

HW45 with customized grips from UK
Russian Izzy 46M
2240+14" barrel
Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit

Last edited by YepYep on Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:38 pm 

I use one from Canadian tire works fine just only apply a small coat. the whole thing is the cheaper molly grease have more combustible compounds in which causes diesiling and detonation when firing. if you apply to much you can blow seals or damage your piston ring even break your spring. the more expensive stuff is more of a pure molly grease with less adatives and combustible stuff in it. either way dont apply to much. you want to lube it not paint it. a little trick I do to avoid diesiling and detonation is leave 10-15% of the piston dry from the seal down...before installing it. you want that stuff in your chamber and get into your barrel.

Last edited by Ravenairgun on Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:41 pm 

You can get it from here if you like, this is for Airguns.

https://www.airrifleheadquarters.com/ca ... /42989.htm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:03 am 

Little goes a long way

https://www.canadashootingsupply.ca/air ... -1-oz.html

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:29 am 

Thank you all great help. Just to be on the safe side. I think I'll order some from our air gun supply stores

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:31 am 

I would definitely go with the Macarri stuff from ARH. Made specifically for this purpose and been used by tuners for many years. Can't beat the price.

No idea what the carrier is in Air Venturi stuff and it is $20 an ounce.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:31 am 

Ravenairgun wrote:
I use one from Canadian tire works fine just only apply a small coat. the whole thing is the cheaper molly grease have more combustible compounds in which causes diesiling and detonation when firing. if you apply to much you can blow seals or damage your piston ring even break your spring. the more expensive stuff is more of a pure molly grease with less adatives and combustible stuff in it. either way dont apply to much. you want to lube it not paint it. a little trick I do to avoid diesiling and detonation is leave 10-15% of the piston dry from the seal down...before installing it. you want that stuff in your chamber and get into your barrel.

You're wrong, the grease is 100% incorrect for piston driven airguns. Judging by the lack of knowledge on petroleum products and dieseling. No wonder your gun is always shooting low FPS and always breaking. The grease that used to bind the moly, heats ups, and starts to run. It only takes vapors to diesel. According to the product is takes only 150*C to hit the flash point. So you are basically just using standard petroleum grease.

And what YepYep said. According to the MSDS sheet. There is only 0.5 to 1.5% moly. AV Moly Paste is about 70% -80%.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:45 am 

Here is something interesting

Has anyone used loctite moly 65% or honda moly past

http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-c1 ... e-splines/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:52 am 

I looked for those (as I found ppl used that and recommended for me) before and if you are not in the industry, it looks harder to find those than just order online and wait for delivery.

HW45 with customized grips from UK
Russian Izzy 46M
2240+14" barrel
Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:55 am 

sacad wrote:

Yes that's all i use

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:09 am 

From what I heard from some tuners is. That you burn the moly into the metal. You apply the moly, works the parts, then remove the excess moly off the piston. Leaving a thin coating.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:37 am 

leadslinger wrote:
From what I heard from some tuners is. That you burn the moly into the metal. You apply the moly, works the parts, then remove the excess moly off the piston. Leaving a thin coating.

Yes less is way better .I have repaired airguns once in a while for people after they do the so called lube tune on there spring guns always ever time to much moly .Ever time its the same gun is shooting slow to much grease .I uses silicone oil on the seal not grease the moly is for metal contact and always less is better ..........And then there all the home made crap mix this with that and howl at the moon all crap now if you want to tune get your lathe out not your oil can lol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:02 am 
Site Moderator

The MotoMaster and other large grease-gun tubes are for chassis lubrication. It works fine to apply through grease nipples, pivot points on trucks, ball hitches, etc. Here is a copy/paste from CanTire.

"Meets the ASTM D-4950 requirements for Chassis Grease Category LB service for automotive and light duty truck chassis lubrication
Recommended for automotive chassis grease points, off-highway and construction equipment, trucking and industrial applications.
Perfect for use on chassis points, sliding pins, trailer hitches and axle splines
Excellent water resistance and effective corrosion protection"

What you want for an airgun is 60-70% moly content. Dow Corning Molykote M77 and Loctite Moly Paste (65%) are fine but the containers might be more than you need. It's economical when you split one with a couple others. I found that the prices for these items varies considerable so phone your local lubricant dealers, industrial supply stores, Aklands Granger, bearing supply stores, automotive supply stores, etc.

I vaguely remember reading (long ago) that Jim Macarri used (and sold) the DC M77. I have some of his from long ago and he repackaged in small coffee creamer size containers with lids.

As was said, the moly paste is for metal-to-metal contact. It works well on primitive triggers but use caution on refined triggers because the friction is greatly reduced. Moly is great on cocking hinges and linkage pivots. Sometimes I'll mix the paste 50/50 with 30W-ND oil so it will flow into a linkage pivot that is riveted. I always apply moly paste to the piston skirt and a wide (thin) band of moly paste right behind the seal. The idea is that the moly band will slowly migrate forward and become controlled vapour inside the chamber. You can sometimes get a very faint smell after the shot but there is no smoke, loud detonation, or erratic velocity numbers like with an undesirable dieseling. It's a controlled fuel.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:21 pm 

sacad wrote:

I tried that Honda moly (and it was also hard to get back in years), but I use it only on polished trigger and it is a noticeable difference