Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:08 pm 

I like the idea of being able to keep the gun ready to use quickly, since CO2 capsules can't be left in. I'm thinking of the Tokyo Mariu 911. Any other suggestions would be welcome.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:03 pm 
Supporting Members

Im guessing you are referring to Airsoft......

Im addicted to brake fluid..........but I can stop anytime....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:10 pm 

I am not certain, but I understood that green gas was not really powerful enough to propel steel BB's or lead pellets with any reasonable velocity. Normally used for plastic airsoft.

Others with a bit more knowledge of the matter can comment more.

But must ask why you need to be "able to keep the gun ready to use quickly"?

Not sure what type of circumstance would require you to be prepared to use your airgun at a split second notice. If it is a sneak attack while you are on a break in an airsoft game, it is OK to leave CO2 in for the day. Or if surprise appearance of a rabbit in your garden, use a break barrel, not a CO2 gun.

Maybe you should look up the topic of "using an airgun for self-defence", before you pursue any further.

BTW, there are couple of paintball/rubber ball airguns that you can leave the CO2 in, uncharged, and charge in an instant with a push of a knob. Sold under the Umarex T4E line:

https://www.replicaairguns.ca/umarex-t4 ... ll-shotgun

https://www.replicaairguns.ca/t4e-tr50- ... stol-black

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:40 pm 

notec wrote:

Yes Airsoft.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:03 pm 

Jbanel wrote:
notec wrote:

Yes Airsoft.
BB1Shooter wrote:
I am not certain, but I understood that green gas was not really powerful enough to propel steel BB's or lead pellets with any reasonable velocity. Normally used for plastic airsoft.

Others with a bit more knowledge of the matter can comment more.

But must ask why you need to be "able to keep the gun ready to use quickly"?

Not sure what type of circumstance would require you to be prepared to use your airgun at a split second notice. If it is a sneak attack while you are on a break in an airsoft game, it is OK to leave CO2 in for the day. Or if surprise appearance of a rabbit in your garden, use a break barrel, not a CO2 gun.

Maybe you should look up the topic of "using an airgun for self-defence", before you pursue any further.

BTW, there are couple of paintball/rubber ball airguns that you can leave the CO2 in, uncharged, and charge in an instant with a push of a knob. Sold under the Umarex T4E line:

https://www.replicaairguns.ca/umarex-t4 ... ll-shotgun

https://www.replicaairguns.ca/t4e-tr50- ... stol-black

Since I don't get to shoot every day, sometimes for a week or more, I like the idea of being able to pick up the thing without inserting a CO2 capsule which may get only about 20 percent used given that I can't leave it in for more than a couple of days.

I shoot at neither small nor large animals.

Hoping to use an airgun for self-defence is simply begging to be shot by the criminal with the real gun or by the police that respond to your call.

Last edited by Jbanel on Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:18 pm 

Although looks it's not recommended, in my own case I never met a problem by leaving a charged co2 capsule in the gun and causing issues like deformed seals etc. The loaded co2 would be left in the mag for maybe weeks to months. I tried to avoid that tho...

HW45 with customized grips from UK
Russian Izzy 46M
2240+14" barrel
Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:35 pm 

Green gas should be quieter, since it's running at a much lower PSI than Co2.

Green gas is pretty much propane. Which operates at like 100-200 PSI, Co2 is 800 to 1200 PSI depending on the temperature.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:41 pm 

YepYep wrote:
Although looks it's not recommended, in my own case I never met a problem by leaving a charged co2 capsule in the gun and causing issues like deformed seals etc. The loaded co2 would be left in the mag for maybe weeks to months. I tried to avoid that tho...

That's good to know - thanks. I recall someone saying that using the same brand of capsule may help prevent the seal from getting misshapen. Still I'm uneasy about potentially wrecking a 300 buck gun.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:43 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
Green gas should be quieter, since it's running at a much lower PSI than Co2.

Green gas is pretty much propane. Which operates at like 100-200 PSI, Co2 is 800 to 1200 PSI depending on the temperature.

Thanks! Trying to stay in the neighbour's good graces.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:21 pm 

Related to your particular scenario. green gas offers two advantages. First, as already mentioned, a green gas shot will be somewhat quieter than that powered by CO2 because it's under less pressure (and, therefore, offers less power). Second, green gas fills are like filling a butane lighter: one quick "sssssssssssss" and you're filled for pennies.

Your Tokyo Marui 1911 may not be your best choice, however. All of the pistols produced by Tokyo Marui, because they are built for CCC (close-quarters combat), are very low-powered (like in the 200s, sometimes low 300s). If you're paper-shooting at 10 meters or less, that shouldn't bother you too much indoors (as CCC is usually played) - but may be seriously detrimental outdoors where weather is actually an unavoidable disruptor.

If you feel you must shoot airsoft, I'd suggest you purchase a brand/model that accepts both green gas and CO2 mags. Buy one of each and you're ready for all occasions.

Edit: P.S. Assuming you are in a location where firing projectiles is not illegal, you may want to consider a far more accurate pellet gun: a P17, for example. They put out little more than a "POP" unmodified and are perhaps even quieter than a green gas airsoft gun.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:10 am 

Edmonton<500 wrote:
Related to your particular scenario. green gas offers two advantages. First, as already mentioned, a green gas shot will be somewhat quieter than that powered by CO2 because it's under less pressure (and, therefore, offers less power). Second, green gas fills are like filling a butane lighter: one quick "sssssssssssss" and you're filled for pennies.

Your Tokyo Marui 1911 may not be your best choice, however. All of the pistols produced by Tokyo Marui, because they are built for CCC (close-quarters combat), are very low-powered (like in the 200s, sometimes low 300s). If you're paper-shooting at 10 meters or less, that shouldn't bother you too much indoors (as CCC is usually played) - but may be seriously detrimental outdoors where weather is actually an unavoidable disruptor.

If you feel you must shoot airsoft, I'd suggest you purchase a brand/model that accepts both green gas and CO2 mags. Buy one of each and you're ready for all occasions.

Edit: P.S. Assuming you are in a location where firing projectiles is not illegal, you may want to consider a far more accurate pellet gun: a P17, for example. They put out little more than a "POP" unmodified and are perhaps even quieter than a green gas airsoft gun.

Good advice - thanks so much.
Do you mean the Beeman P17 spring loaded pistol? Sounds good. I see a lot of US sellers, but not here. Do you know of one?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:15 am 

I've got a whole bunch of the Xisico version of them coming in a couple days. These come with a 22 cal barrel and a 177 barrel all for a really great price. Unfortunately only half my big shipment arrived today, and the pistols and other rifles are lost somewhere in Winnipeg 8(.
Should have them in a couple days though if they are found and I'll have them up on my site airgunarcheryfun.ca
Regards,
Wes

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:29 am 

Jbanel wrote:
Edmonton<500 wrote:

Good advice - thanks so much.
Do you mean the Beeman P17 spring loaded pistol? Sounds good. I see a lot of US sellers, but not here. Do you know of one?

Yes, I am referring to the Beeman P17. Click the link to Airgun/Archery Fun at the top of the page - Wes, a trusted dealer and contributor to this forum, carries the P17. PM him on the website and he may be able to suggest other SSP options as well. If he doesn't carry them, he'll gladly give you the info to check them out elsewhere. You'll also find him as wesb2007 in the Dealer's Corner on this site.

Cheers.

Wes is quick on the draw; I see he's already introduced himself ^^^ :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:03 am 

Jbanel wrote:
Do you mean the Beeman P17 spring loaded pistol?

it's not spring loaded.
it's an AIR gun!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:09 am 

Jbanel wrote:

The Beeman P17 isn't a spring loaded pistol. It is a Single Stroke Pneumatic (SSP). Just sayin'.

Edit: Sorry Leon. I'm going to have to pay more attention or type faster...