Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:32 pm 

So I was looking through my current collection and was suddenly struck with the realization that I keep coming back to spring guns. I’ve had a variety of different pcp’s (still have a few), ssp’s, co2.... I’ve bought, sold, and traded all varieties. But it seems the ones I keep coming back to, replacing ones I’ve sold most often are the spring guns. I’ve now got more springers than any other type in the stables.

I’ve always considered myself more of an eclectic collector, but I think in reality I’m really a spring guy who has a few other types on hand. Something about their simplicity and demand for the shooter’s attention that keeps me coming back. I do enjoy the other types for what they are, and can’t argue the many positive attributes of current pcp offerings. But, if you put a sexy well made spring gun in front of me, I start drooling.

Maybe I have too many pcp’s now....

I’ve been called many things in my time, but I guess now you can call me a springer guy too!

FWB 300S, Hammerli AR20, Benji pumpers!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:36 pm 

Me too has my spring, co2, pcp and pumper, same as you that I find the springer is just very simple and easier to grab and always amazed on how it shoots, I don't shoot long distance but just enjoy its accuracy, specially if the wood if its just so nice. I enjoy all my airguns even with the cheapest daisy red rider to AA tx200, I don't know about the more expensive pcp, but each one gets their fair share of trigger time.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:33 am 

I'm new to this but I think I'm going to be the same. I have a few CO2 pistols but much prefer the two springers I have. I agree something about the mechanics of everything with a springer, the fact that I find it forces me to slow down and think about the shot more than just firing off a bunch of semi-auto CO2 shots. I enjoy the session more.

I know it has nothing to do with PCP vs springer, but I like rifles more than pistols too I think.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:36 am 

[emoji38] exactly the same case here!

I started from replica BB guns, then replica pellet pistols, turned to real air pistol (non replicas) then pumper and SSP. Finally, I bought my first springer, a HW30s... After that I didn't buy a lot but just a few and loving the simple construction and impressive engineering of a springer offers. Although I stepped into the PCP 'black hole' for a while but I didn't fall in and step back as I found myself like the springer more...

HW45 with customized grips from UK
Russian Izzy 46M
2240+14" barrel
Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:00 am 

I keep on going back to springers because they are simple. Cock, load, fire. Doesn't reuire Co2, don't have to pump, or supply it with air. The velocities should be consistent, unless a seal goes. But they are a challenge to shoot, that I never really grasp. So I try get frustrated, sell the springers. Then get annoyed at the pumping etc. Get another springer, try the cycle all over again.

This time, I bought a cheap one to try.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:50 am 

Slinger, springers are a challenge to shoot accurately. My suggestion is settle on a decent quality springer and shoot lots of paper. Don’t give up on the gun just keep shooting till you know that thing intimately. You will be surprised how consistent you can get. I have several springers and I’m impressed with them all. I have a Gamo varmint 495 version that I bought at Canadian tire that I love!!! It is detuned from magnum power for Canadian tire but still has the full power spring. I tuned it back up to 900fps upon getting my pal and it is a harsh springer to shoot but with practice this gun is a tack driver.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:49 am 

iv'e always said and will continue to say nothing beats a springer.... :wink:
PCP's are cool so are pumpers and Co2's but hands down is the springer.... :drinkers:
and if your fortunate to get your hands on a recoilless springer yours miles ahead.... 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:02 pm 

Glad I’m not alone! Sometimes all the hype about the pcp’s overshadows the other types of guns.
I totally agree, while I can’t say I don’t occasionally enjoy rattling off of a few mags from a pcp, the deliberate and methodical rhythm of springers is somehow relaxing and less complicated.

FWB 300S, Hammerli AR20, Benji pumpers!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:01 am 

My tag line agrees with you.

Too soon old too late smart.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:23 pm 

I second all the positive comments about springer. I have Springers, CO2s, & one multi-pump (Barra Cowboy 1866). I enjoy the simplicity of a springer, esp. if I just have a short period of time to shoot. No CO2 to mess with, etc.

Yes, it sometimes take time to get some accuracy with certain spring action BB guns. But, if you keep at it, you can get fair accuracy with most, with practice.

As I have said in the past, I'm not ready to switch to the "dark side" yet & invest in the whole PCP set up. And from what I can see, it is a big investment to get properly set up for PCP's.

Don't get me wrong, PCP's have their purpose, just not for me.

Also, I am assuming springers include both my break barrel rifles & my spring action BB guns, like my Daisy 1894's.