Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:47 am 

Hello Members

I am new to the forum and I would like to know your suggestions.
I would like to get a good pellet air pistol for accurate paper target shooting. I want to improve and focus on my shooting skills.

What do you suggest?

Anything under the $300 , does that exits?
Also whats best? Pump, spring Co2?

I don's have a PAL so I guess it has to be under 500 FPS

Also whats best .22 or .177 ?
I recently bough some Replica BB pistols, for the look and feel, but that's all they are good for.. and can plinking.
The best gun I have for target is a Dan Wesson 715 4' revolver with adjustable sights, and at least the the barrel is rifled. ..so that's one ok..for now

Tks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:09 pm 

If you're interested in accuracy, the two contenders I can think of are
- IZH46

or the TAU7

Either of these, you could train with and go to the provincial match and still be competitive

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:48 pm 

300 CAD budget looks not enough for a serious accurate pistol now a days...

Maybe cut the budget and buy a Beeman P17 / Stoeger XP4 for less than 100 and save the balance for future to go a more serious one when you tnink you over grown the P17 or XP4...

However the P17 and XP4 are not great out of box and you need to be a bit handy to give the Chinese made pistol some treatment before shooting it. And don't worry, they are SUPER accurate and MUCH MORE accurate than your DW.

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:32 pm 

Daisy 717 or 747
Beeman P17 or HW40

There are other cheap co2 target style pistols if you can find them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:18 pm 

Thanks for the reply's everyone.

Based on some suggestions, I came across this for a decent price...
But I've never used PCP. Can a High quality Bike pump be used?

I have this model of pump
https://www.topeak.com/global/de/produc ... --sport-ii

Here is the pistol I was looking at, price is in my budget

https://www.replicaairguns.ca/diana-ban ... let-pistol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:51 pm 

Unfortunately a bike pump will not work. PCP's run into the 1800 to 3000 PSI. Though you can get cheap PCP pumps on ebay for under 100$

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:00 pm 

Wes has does for a little over $100

https://airgunarcheryfun.ca/4-stage-450 ... -pump-new/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:56 pm 

He might also have a pistol or two that would do the job well as a starter. One I can think of is here.

https://airgunarcheryfun.ca/artemis-pp750-multi-shot-pcp-pistol-coming-soon/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:16 am 

I don't think PCP is within the 300$ budget, especially for a starter... Add up tax, shipping, pump, it would probably reach to 500$...

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:39 am 

You're better off spending a little more up front to get something you will be happy with. Buying a "starter pistol" and then upgrading in 6 months because you've either outgrown it or just aren't happy with it will cost more in the long term. A good used pistol might also be better value. You just have to bide your ti e until you find it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:00 am 

YepYep wrote:
I don't think PCP is within the 300$ budget, especially for a starter... Add up tax, shipping, pump, it would probably reach to 500$...

A person could buy a used PCP pistol, and a handpump is only 100$

Wes has the Diana Bandit for 215, + flat rate shipping + Tax, hand pump for 100$ with free shipping off ebay. Looking at maybe 350-375.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:07 am 

The TAU7 comes up for sale from time to time; a great pistol. It is CO2, so better indoors in cold weather. Shooting a pistol outdoors in cold weather probably does not happen that often anyway. I have had mine for about 20 years and sealed it twice in that time.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:25 am 
Site Moderator

Tail Air Gunner wrote:
Hello Members

I am new to the forum and I would like to know your suggestions.
I would like to get a good pellet air pistol for accurate paper target shooting. I want to improve and focus on my shooting skills.

What do you suggest?

Anything under the $300 , does that exits?
Also whats best? Pump, spring Co2?

I don's have a PAL so I guess it has to be under 500 FPS

Also whats best .22 or .177 ?
I recently bough some Replica BB pistols, for the look and feel, but that's all they are good for.. and can plinking.
The best gun I have for target is a Dan Wesson 715 4' revolver with adjustable sights, and at least the the barrel is rifled. ..so that's one ok..for now

Tks

What kind of target shooting are you planning? Do you want to get into the official 10m target stuff or just fun paper popping? If it's just paper popping then a P17 will work fine and save you lots of cash. I have a couple with red dots and also an old HW40. They are accurate and great for somewhat quiet indoor shooting and also outdoors out to around 30 yards. A Crosman 2300T and the new .22cal XL might be worth looking at for fun. Also the Snowpeak CP1. The Diana AirBug should be available soon in Canada (detuned in .177cal).

https://www.canadashootingsupply.ca/bee ... istol.html

https://www.canadashootingsupply.ca/cro ... osman.html

https://www.canadashootingsupply.ca/cro ... -0-22.html

https://www.canadashootingsupply.ca/sno ... l-177.html

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Diana_Ai ... istol/4832

EDIT: I posted the above links just so you can have a look at the various pistols. I'm not endorsing anyone in particular. Shop around our many good Canadian airgun dealers before you decide to purchase.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:03 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

Does a decent TARGET pistol exist under 300 $? Unless you get an amazing deal on a used gun, I doubt it.The fact you have no PAL is irrelevant.. A pistol over 500 ft/sec is RPAL .. No diffferent than if you had a centre fire handgun.

TAU7 and IZH are great guns. Not sure about the TAU but the IZH are no longer imported into Canada as part sanctions against Russia for invading Crimea. Both might be available used, but only occasionally come up and the last IZH 46 that came up was above 500 ft/sec.Last IZH I saw here was 500$ or more

If you got PCP, you are looking at 2-300 for a tank set up or pump alone

For 300?? As several others have mentioned, the P17. The P17 isnt what you would call a target pistol, but both it or the original German made HW40 are Target accurate in the right hands.

If on a budget,but can afford a few more $$, A GAMO Compact(now known as Air venturi V10) or a FAS 6004 from the forum store are more dedicated target pistols

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:23 pm 

I had both of these at one time but sold off the Bakai mainly because it was just too heavy. Actually, come to think of it, my dad had one too and he also sold it for the same reason. Having said that, it was accurate and functioned well for what it is. The trigger was also very good.

I still have the Tau Brno and will never ever sell it. I just love this one.

I could not say one was more accurate than the other as both were excellent. I could not shoot better with a gun for twice the price.

The advantage of the Bakai is that you don't need CO2 or PCP to fill, so that is convenient, if you don't mind the weight.

sillymike wrote:
If you're interested in accuracy, the two contenders I can think of are
- IZH46

or the TAU7

Either of these, you could train with and go to the provincial match and still be competitive