Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:57 pm 

Hi all. I am a newbie in airguns and very happy to join your community. After several months of pistol shooting I plan to buy my first rifle (the hobby evolved to an addiction :D ).
Please share your knowledge and experience with me. Never shot a rifle before. The short-listed candidates are hw50s and hw30s. I read a lot about those apparently very successful rifles.
HW50 Pros
powerful, well balanced, accurate, medium weight
HW50 Cons
(it seems) big cocking effort
HW30 Pros
light, accurate, fun to shoot
HW30 Cons
low power (well, that depends on intended use), small size (may not fit a medium to tall adult).

Regarding the galling issue, I got the following reply from the official (German) Weihrauch support team:

"The model HW 50 has a special locking lever. Here a synthetic part moves on the receiver tube.
So there is no problem.
On the HW 30 there is little contact metal to metal".

My intended use is casual target shooting and plinking (20-25 m. or 30 m. max, I guess).
I cannot try any of those as there is no local dealer. I will buy online.
Probably I will not get another gun soon.

Which one do you suggest? things to consider:
1. Weihrauch's comments above regarding galling - are recently produced hw50s really galling free?
2. cocking effort - is it really that bad as many people suggest? could it be tiring for extended shooting sesions? (I am 1,84 m., healthy, 50 years old - so it's all about the overall session ease and fun rather than the ability to cock or not).
3. Am I too tall for hw30?
4. Is 20-25 m. too much for the most powerful hw50? sould I consider the hw30 for this purpose?
One last question about noise - does any of you possess them both to comment on this?

In one sentence, it seems that hw50s is a better engineered rifle while hw30s is an easier and fun to shoot gun.

Any experience shared would be really helpful. Thx in advance.

Vasilis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:15 pm 

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Are you looking for a PAL rated HW or a non-PAL, it may affect your choice.
If you have PAL and want a PAL rated rifle the 50 may be better suited for 20-30m shooting.
If non-PAL, then they will shoot about the same, cocking effort also about the same. Since trajectory of non-PAL pellets is same regardless of calibre, I recommend .22 cal for both rifles. For PAL rated rifle the .177 cal may be a better choice for target shooting at 20-30 yds in calm conditions as it will have less drop. HIH. :drinkers:

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:39 pm 

I have both, and shoot them regularly. The 50 is a bit more powerful than the 30, but in the way you plan to use it, that's not at all an issue. They're equally accurate, and easy to handle. One deciding factor, perhaps, is that the 30 is a smaller gun than the 50. I shoot targets and tin cans nearly daily at 42 yards, and either are wonderful guns with excellent accuracy. You'll get the same "Rekord" trigger on both, same high quality of the manufacture. My 30's are Beeman R-7's, both scoped,
in .177 & .20. Try H&N Field Target Trophy pellets in both the 30 and the 50. You'll enjoy these classic shooters regardless of which you choose. Here's my old .177 R-7
Let us know... and perhaps even show us

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:00 pm 

Cocking effort mainly depends on the gun's power...

The 30 is famous on its effort less cocking which based on its size can't hold a larger normal size compress tube... So it's easy to cock (for less power)

Anyway, if you choose the non PAL sub 500fps model, with same caliber, I believe the cocking effort will be same too.

As Duke mentioned, buy a .22 non PAL either one or a 177 PAL rated HW50 which gives you much faster muzzle speed and flatter trajectory for paper target punching... It's up to you. Both rifle work so well and accurate as you would expect.

For your body shape as tall as 180mm+, maybe the HW50 would fit you better~ You won't feel shooting a toy gun then~ [emoji38] The 30 would be a little bit too small for you IMO...

I have a 30s for some time and know little bit about the 50 as one of my friend shared lots of info to me when he working on his 50...

ImageImage

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:30 pm 

Welcome aboard, electone. I'm going to assume from your introduction that you do not have a firearm license. You may still own an air rifle, but you must choose from models that shoot less than 500 feet-per-second (fps), which is just great for plinking. Unfortunately, both the models you are considering are very popular airguns, and the pickin's are slim in Canada these days. D&L Airguns is the dealer for Canada, and at quick glance, it doesn't appear there are any of those models in <500.

Would you consider other options, keeping in mind the supply chain is simply not moving these days, and it may be quite a while before another shipment lands in Canada?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:46 pm 
Site Moderator

I had a full-power HW30S in .177cal and wish I had kept it. The rifle would easily put 5 pellets under a quarter at 30 yards. Velocity was 620-630fps with average weight pellets. Length of pull on the older model that I had was 14.0". The rifle was about the size and weight of an average rimfire rifle. Oh, I wish I kept it!

http://web.archive.org/web/200811200947 ... 30SReview/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:34 pm 

TCooper wrote:
I had a full-power HW30S in .177cal and wish I had kept it. The rifle would easily put 5 pellets under a quarter at 30 yards. Velocity was 620-630fps with average weight pellets. Length of pull on the older model that I had was 14.0". The rifle was about the size and weight of an average rimfire rifle. Oh, I wish I kept it!

Ahh, I remember reading all your reviews from back then. Are you planning to write any new ones? IMO they were very thorough and meticulous and I enjoyed them much more than the other reviews out there.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:19 am 
Site Moderator

TriggerHappy416 wrote:
TCooper wrote:

Ahh, I remember reading all your reviews from back then. Are you planning to write any new ones? IMO they were very thorough and meticulous and I enjoyed them much more than the other reviews out there.

Thanks! Unfortunately my reviews were lost when my web server accidentally dumped my site. It was a big bummer because I had English speaking airgunners from all over the world sending me email thank-you messages. Some of the reviews are still available on the archive machine but most pictures are gone. Over several years I reviewed HW30S, HW40, HW45, Xisico XS-B3, Baikal IZH-61, Baikal IZH-46, TAU-7, TAU-200, Crosman Quest/Phantom, Custom Crosman 2240, Crosman CH2000, Crosman Mk1, Crosman 1008, Webley Tempest/Hurricane, Walther PPK-BB, Walther CP99, REX 3-9x40 AO scope. On the review sub-forum you can find quite a bit of review info on my Daisy 880 rifle, Beeman P17, and a couple of Crosman Optimus rifles. I usually review everything I own but these days it's usually just a forum posting with many add-on updates. If you like details then here is some reading.

topic67112.html?hilit=Daisy%20880%20Review

topic74400.html?hilit=Crosman%20Optimus

topic77370.html?hilit=Crosman%20Optimus

topic76902.html?hilit=Crosman%20Optimus

topic75123.html?hilit=Crosman%20Optimus

topic76751.html?hilit=Crosman%20Optimus

topic76466.html?hilit=Crosman%20Optimus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:00 am 

Welcome to the forum, electone.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:20 am 

Thank you all guys for making me feel so welcome!

A few words about myself: I live in Greece. We have a very peculiar gun law here. You can legally own an airgun after the 18th year of age. Regardless the power (unlike Canada or UK). And this is pretty much everything your are (by law) allowed to do. You can't use or even show an airgun in public unless you can prove that you transfer it from/to a shooting club. You cannot own any kind of scoping aid unless you are an active shooting athlete, in which case you must have a special license issued by the police. Shooting is allowed only in shooting clubs. Period (e.g. indoor plinking, in your house, is illegal). When transferring an airgun, you must have it locked in a case and all your ammo stored elsewhere in the car. You must also carry the purchase receipt and your shooting club membership. Hunting using airguns is illegal.

In my town there is a shooting club but only for fire-arm shooters.

How do we practice then? in isolated places, basements, up in the mountains, at risk.....

I took up casual airgun shooting almost a year ago, using pistols. I own a Daisy 717, Crosman 1377, Artemis CP1 (CO2) and the wonderful HW75. The latter is the reason why my 11 years old daughter is addicted too :-). I guess moving into rifles is inevitable. My motive is that relaxation feeling of finding the target (literally and metaphorically) after a stressful day. That's all.
I practice during weekends at my workplace, outdoors in a well-fenced area where normally I am the only person in a radius of 500 m.

Coming back to the two rifles, power obviously is not my concern, whereas a flat trajectory may be. I would like an easy to shoot/carry/cock gun to have fun for an hour or two, that's all.
I wouldn't even consider HW50s unless reading so many complaints for HW30's problems (galling mainly, a less effective breech engaging mechanism {the ball} compared to HW50s, etc.).

Given my short story above, I hope I can assist you for a more appropriate suggestion.

Thx again, all the members here!

Best Regards,
Vasilis

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:25 am 

I noticed and found the galling issues recently too... And looks the 50 does have the similar issue ( that's why my friend have been working on)...

I have a 30s and 35e, both have the problem. I just applied Molly paste on the touch area between the action tube (on the front end) and the cocking lever, about once a year, I didn't feel the galling again...

On the 35e, I inserted a plastic piece cut from the handle of a teeth brush in the front of the original roller bearing on the cocking arm, and a PTFE piece cut from a PTFE rod bought from Aliexpress behind the same roller bearing inserted into the empty space in the cocking arm... Now the cocking arm moves very smoothly and feels no galling again...

Barrel locking problem, occasionally I found the POI would just dropped about an inch vs POA, and I couldn't found anything wrong, like muzzle velocity, dieseling, pellets..... As I read the same like you, I guessed it's because the barrel didn't lock perfectly and muzzle pointed slightly lower at that shot....

Looks problems, issues, headaches.... However those are all minor problems and 99.9% at the time I feel very satisfying for owning the HW guns (I have HW40x2, HW45, 70, 30s, 35e),. So, no need to worry about too much IMO.

Looks like you like the 30 better?! Good choice as I like my 30 very much too~ [emoji38]

As you don't need to worry about the muzzle speed like in Canada. I think a full power HW30 shooting 177 caliber for 600fps would be a very good one to own~

Enjoy your new gun and come often~ You are very welcome!

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe