Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Stoeger XP4 issues
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:30 am 

Just purchased a Stoeger XP4 pistol off the discount table at my local gun shop (no returns)
Still NIB
However it won't fire a .177 pellet
Pressurization seems fine as it's quite hard to close as it pumps the cylinder
Dry-firing it sounds awesome, has a great "pop" that sounds positive
But once I put in a pellet it just sort of "thunks" and gives off a little hiss when you pull the trigger- pellet doesn't move!
- barrel looks clear and lets a .177 cleaning brush pass
- a .177/4.5mm BB rolls down the barrel and out the muzzle (seems it's not restricted)
- everything "feels" normal but the pellet stays put in the breach when fired
- could it be the pellets? they are a brand new can of RWS Superdome 4.5mm 8.3 grain (too heavy??)

I'm stumped and pissed
Sure I can return it to Stoeger for warranty but...
WOT

Attachments:
RWS_Superdome_4_5mm-0_54g.jpg
RWS_Superdome_4_5mm-0_54g.jpg [ 22.6 KiB | Viewed 868 times ]
18683-_a_.jpg
18683-_a_.jpg [ 52.02 KiB | Viewed 871 times ]

Post subject: Re: Stoeger XP4 issues
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:38 am 

On my first XP4 the barrel end, where you put the pellet, was messed-up and tore the breech Oring, resulting in exactly what you described. Check that and if it's the issue, polish the barrel end and replace the Oring, or you may just turn it over, that worked for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:35 am 

My opinion the barrels are undersized. Mine had similar issues, I put in a Beeman P17 barrel to see if it would work. Yes it did, even with a breech seal leak. Because the berman barrel fit looser. It would fire pellets that the Stoeger barrel wouldn't. I think they may spec their barrel to work only with their pellets.

And no 8.3 isn't too heavy.

My xp4 would fire 7.4 crosman wadcutters, but not 7.9 destroyers, 7.9 cphp, or grizzly 8.6grn domes... But would fire 10.5 grn crosman domes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:16 am 

Its an interesting idea regarding tailoring gun barrels to certain pellets...
I often wonder if FAS did it with the R10 with a two way sponsor of these products being well known between these 2 manufacturers.
I do however, feel that breech sealing is poor on both the Xp4 and FAS but with the XP4 making little in the first place, some pellets then not shooting at all..

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:40 am 

clarky wrote:
Its an interesting idea regarding tailoring gun barrels to certain pellets...
I often wonder if FAS did it with the R10 with a two way sponsor of these products being well known between these 2 manufacturers.
I do however, feel that breech sealing is poor on both the Xp4 and FAS but with the XP4 making little in the first place, some pellets then not shooting at all..

Different manufactures make magazine for their guns only. Its a good way for a company to make more money by having people forced to buy their pellets and magazines. It is nothing new.

Well if breech sealing plays a huge part? Why does my xp4 with the beeman barrel, shoot pellets that the stoeger doesn't? With the beeman barrel installed I'm able to freely moved forward and back. So that tells me that the Stoeger barrel is undersized.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:49 am 

I think you answered the question for yourself...

If a barrel was tight and the sealing not brilliant it might not shoot. If the barrel a looser fit on pellets, a poor seal may not be so much of an issue...
For the record, i just found the thing generally poor so i didn't bother pressing it with the usual on the edge of things tuning i have done on these type guns...
Barrel tight...seal looked a bit iffy, barrel lead needed addressing (at least on mine) and barrel pivot smallest i have seen on one of these ..
It was a thumbs down for me but maybe i should have given it more time that i gave other models..dunno

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:46 am 

So it was the RWS pellets I guess
First tried some RWS Meisterkugeln that I had at the cabin- NOTHING
I bought a can of Crosman wadcutters (7.4gr) and they shoot just fine!
Weird (guess I'm going to have pull out the micrometer)
WOT

Attachments:
Crosman 177.jpg
Crosman 177.jpg [ 63.07 KiB | Viewed 740 times ]
Meisterkugeln wadcutters.jpg
Meisterkugeln wadcutters.jpg [ 37.85 KiB | Viewed 740 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:28 am 

...Its probably your seal. Get the barrel nudged up. You may as well try to polish a better lead into the bore while you have the barrel undone for repositioning.
This model had the smallest cylinder volume of any SSP of this type. To stand any semblance of putting pellets down range at 300 fps plus, you need to fine tweak it..

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:44 am 

WopOnTour wrote:
WOT

The yellow tin RWS you tried is for the rifles ( higher power output guns), so it's 8.2g weight. And you should try the lighter weight one which for pistol and in 7g. You can see the different icons and weight info on the tin... RWS wadcutter pellets all have two different weigbts...

HW 40+Extender / Scoped P3 / 45 / 75
Russian Izzy 46M
2240 14" barrel carbine
Camo Chaser long barrel carbine
PP700SA long barrel carbine

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:14 am 

YepYep wrote:
WopOnTour wrote:
WOT

The yellow tin RWS you tried is for the rifles ( higher power output guns), so it's 8.2g weight. And you should try the lighter weight one which for pistol and in 7g. You can see the different icons and weight info on the tin... RWS wadcutter pellets all have two different weigbts...

I fired 10.5grn from mine without an issue, but 8.6 grizzly's nope.

Seems like they are hit or miss what they like. I looked at mine and the chamber isn't even center with the barrel. Probably why when I put the Beeman barrel in, it functioned because the port wasn't partially blocked. But the muzzle end is slightly smaller so fits lose.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:39 am 

Isn't that the 10gr pellets too heavy for the weak XP4?! ;) I think the 7g RWS pellets should be the best choice for this pistol unless it's found the pistol really don't like that pellet....

I have one tin of Baracuda 10.65g 177 pellet in the house... Don't remember when and why I bought this. Anyway, I tried it on all my 177 guns and none of them groups well... And then I noticed the min power recommended by H&N for this pellet is 12fpe.... Hopefully I would have one gun for this pellet soon~ Image

HW 40+Extender / Scoped P3 / 45 / 75
Russian Izzy 46M
2240 14" barrel carbine
Camo Chaser long barrel carbine
PP700SA long barrel carbine

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:06 pm 

YepYep wrote:
Isn't that the 10gr pellets too heavy for the weak XP4?! ;) I think the 7g RWS pellets should be the best choice for this pistol unless it's found the pistol really don't like that pellet....

I have one tin of Baracuda 10.65g 177 pellet in the house... Don't remember when and why I bought this. Anyway, I tried it on all my 177 guns and none of them groups well... And then I noticed the min power recommended by H&N for this pellet is 12fpe.... Hopefully I would have one gun for this pellet soon~ Image

H&N also uses a harder lead than most I've found.

10.5grn Crosman Ultra Mag, Avg 282 FPS..

I had to do a bit of work to get the XP4 barrel to work, with other pellets, other than Crosman 7.4s. Squared up and polished the end, chamfer the chamber, spun it around to get the barrel less obstructed.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:24 pm 

clarky wrote:
This model had the smallest cylinder volume of any SSP of this type. To stand any semblance of putting pellets down range at 300 fps plus, you need to fine tweak it..

Don't know where you got that, all 3 of my XP4 pistols have the same bore and stroke as my P17, and shoot close to 400 fps with 7 gr pellets. Maybe a ''weak'' version for the U.K.?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:52 pm 

WopOnTour wrote:
Just purchased a Stoeger XP4 pistol off the discount table at my local gun shop (no returns)
Still NIB
However it won't fire a .177 pellet
Pressurization seems fine as it's quite hard to close as it pumps the cylinder
Dry-firing it sounds awesome, has a great "pop" that sounds positive
But once I put in a pellet it just sort of "thunks" and gives off a little hiss when you pull the trigger- pellet doesn't move!
- barrel looks clear and lets a .177 cleaning brush pass
- a .177/4.5mm BB rolls down the barrel and out the muzzle (seems it's not restricted)
- everything "feels" normal but the pellet stays put in the breach when fired
- could it be the pellets? they are a brand new can of RWS Superdome 4.5mm 8.3 grain (too heavy??)

I'm stumped and pissed
Sure I can return it to Stoeger for warranty but...
WOT
are

Before taking it apart or whatever, try a smaller pellet. It's not a matter of weight but of diameter. I think the barrel is narrower than usual. The H&N Field Target Trophy Green works fine.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:28 am 

This is the amount of dead space in the Stoeger, it is close to 1/8 inch and the reason why it runs 300 fps.
If you can make one of these you might make the aforementioned 400 fps but it requires a lot of work

Attachments:
9E97C39D-C161-462C-A735-6830E36DE302.jpeg
9E97C39D-C161-462C-A735-6830E36DE302.jpeg [ 255.43 KiB | Viewed 669 times ]