Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:30 am 

YepYep wrote:
Yeah, I need to balance the power output and break in the barrela, and so far so good!

The barrel is thick, strong and promising... Looks should be fine without a band... However looks need some time to get used to this kind of 'floating' design as this is my first gun like this ~ right now I looks like handling a baby and always avoid touching the barrel~ [emoji38]

Well I'm not sure about the 22 cal one. My 177 PP700SA barrel was only threaded into a plastic bushing. So without the shroud, it had some wiggle, before I added setscrews to keep the barrel bushing from clocking. So I concur with Jay that the barrel could be supported better.

Someone must make a band like the 2289G.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:41 am 

The .22 looks like this and very firm inside the action on my gun. I hand screwed it in with holding on the muzzle brake.... And it looks can't be screwed out again now as I wrapped Teflon tape on the treads before putting it in... Image

HW45 with customized grips from UK
Russian Izzy 46M
2240 14" barrel carbine
Camo Chaser long barrel carbine
PP700SA long barrel carbine

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:58 am 

YepYep wrote:
The .22 looks like this and very firm inside the action on my gun. I hand screwed it in with holding on the muzzle brake.... And it looks can't be screwed out again now as I wrapped Teflon tape on the treads before putting it in... Image

I know what the barrel looks like. On my 177 PP700SA, The barrel threaded into a plastic bushing, inside the receiver. So barrel could be well made, but how it is secured could be the weak link. And before I installed the setscrews, I could spin the barrel around inside because of that bushing. So not sure if the 22 cal versions had this bushing or not.

So adding a support like the 2289G would be helpful.

Part # 5

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:21 am 

My new barrel just fits in the action well and I didn't use any extra bushing on it, However there is one in the shround wheb I removed the old one, I found one, and didn't use it on again...

The diameter of the my new barrel is 12mm, and the old one is 10mm...

Hmm... I may need to double check after taking the new barrel out again...

Difference between the 177 and .22 PP700sa?
ImageImage

Russian Izzy 46M
2240 14" barrel carbine

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:32 am 

YepYep wrote:
My new barrel just fits in the action well and I didn't use any extra bushing on it, However there is one in the shround wheb I removed the old one, I found one, and didn't use it on again...

The diameter of the my new barrel is 12mm, and the old one is 10mm...

Difference between the 177 and .22 PP700sa?
ImageImage

You are not understanding me. The bushing Is inside the receiver, not outside. It is what the barrel threads into. I'm not talking about the bushing that stabilizes the shroud.

Look at the back of the gun with the breech open, you see the green o ring? Well behind and around is the bushing the barrel threads into. That is separate from the receiver, so you can get barrel play. So we are saying that despite what you think. A barrel support on the air tube is necessary, since you are not using the shroud which adds some support.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:41 am 

You can see in this photo. They drilled and tapped the receiver for a setscrew. One on each side probably ( What I did ) Well that to prevent the bushing the barrel is screw into, from rotating. I know on my gun that it started to spin on me before installing the setscrews.

*photo is too big to hot link*
http://www.jsairrifles.com/assets/image ... 073628.jpg

So the barrel doesn't directly thread into the receiver. So it's not as secure as you think. So saying that barrel support would be ideal.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:50 am 

Got it loud and clear now!! Thanks for the info! Will check about the set screw option...

A quick question... Where to put the set screws would be better? As the above picture shows a special attachment on the receiver and left no choice for the set screw to be located close to the breech end... Is that a good place or will it damage the original bushing?

Russian Izzy 46M
2240 14" barrel carbine

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:08 pm 

On mine I also put 2 set screws straight down through the dovetail on top of the barrel hidden under the scope mounts.
These set screws secured the barrel perfectly.
Some may not like this idea but it works fine for me.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:54 pm 

Put the 4x32 AO Hawke on and made 2 small inserts from the PTFE rod and slipped them in to give some extra support to the barrel... However I don't think they can prevent the barrel from spinning around but should hold it in center...

I agreed that a barrel band similar to the 2240 will do the job better... ImageImageImageImage

Russian Izzy 46M
2240 14" barrel carbine

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:02 pm 

I'm late to this thread, thanks for sharing your experience so far Yep Yep! 8)
I do have a couple M11 barrel bands that might work with a spacer of some kind. The tube on the PP700SA is the same as the M11., but the barrel on the M11 is much thicker, hence the need for a spacer to snug onto the barrel.

Sent from my SM-A515W using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:05 pm 

I can't wait for Wes to get these barrels in!

Rich

Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:55 pm 

I'm getting impatient for the whole shipment from Vancouver myself, been a long wait since before Christmas when I made my snowpeak order!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:34 pm 

wesb2007 wrote:
I do have a couple M11 barrel bands that might work with a spacer of some kind. The tube on the PP700SA is the same as the M11., but the barrel on the M11 is much thicker, hence the need for a spacer to snug onto the barrel.

Any chance that Mr. Jason can use that as a sample to make something just for the PP700SA barrel? Like shiny brass or aluminum, stainless steel is also good choice too!!

If Jay had that I can always save some postage cost like having the barrel delivered to me~ :D

Russian Izzy 46M
2240 14" barrel carbine

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:35 am 

Castle02 wrote:
I can't wait for Wes to get these barrels in!

Rich

Be patient buddy :-) I have the barrels almost done. I have a few hours more work to do upon return from my holidays. I’m going to be back in my shop July 28th and I will get these barrels shipped out to Wes. My apologies for the wait, I have been super busy leading up to my holidays.
Regards
Jay

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:40 am 

YepYep wrote:
wesb2007 wrote:

Any chance that Mr. Jason can use that as a sample to make something just for the PP700SA barrel? Like shiny brass or aluminum, stainless steel is also good choice too!!

If Jay had that I can always save some postage cost like having the barrel delivered to me~ :D

Ken, if I remember correctly I cut your barrel from a M11 barrel. Perhaps double check the measurements with Wes and he can hook you up with a barrel band. If the barrel is smaller than the band I can cut you a bushing on the lathe out of brass or aluminum.
Regards
Jay

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next