Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:33 pm 

Greetings,

I would like to tune up my Classic. I understand there is a better spring and piston combo for this rifle.

Anyone know what part numbers I may need? Or other advice?

Many thanks in advance!

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:44 pm 

What kind of results are you looking for?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:49 pm 

Blammo wrote:
Greetings,
Or other advice?

Hi and welcome. Many (many) members started out with a Benjamin Classic or one of it's many cousins like Crosman Phantom, Quest, and Optimus, with wire springs and later Venom, Trail-NP, and other NP rifles. Advice 1, is don't mod the spring/piston sizes unless you have a PAL. Advice 2, is strip and polish the internals, if the piston seal looks at all damaged, replace it. Advice 3 is do a 2 stage trigger mod on it. Advice 4: search the forum for "Benjamin Classic", or just Classic... and you will find enough reading to keep you busy for a week.
Enjoy, the Classic is indeed just that - but it's a bit of a turd in reality; as polished turd, it shoots pretty good.

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:21 pm 

Edmonton<500 wrote:
What kind of results are you looking for?

Oh... I would say 700 to 900 FPS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:23 pm 

Dukemeister wrote:
Blammo wrote:
Greetings,
Or other advice?

Hi and welcome. Many (many) members started out with a Benjamin Classic or one of it's many cousins like Crosman Phantom, Quest, and Optimus, with wire springs and later Venom, Trail-NP, and other NP rifles. Advice 1, is don't mod the spring/piston sizes unless you have a PAL. Advice 2, is strip and polish the internals, if the piston seal looks at all damaged, replace it. Advice 3 is do a 2 stage trigger mod on it. Advice 4: search the forum for "Benjamin Classic", or just Classic... and you will find enough reading to keep you busy for a week.
Enjoy, the Classic is indeed just that - but it's a bit of a turd in reality; as polished turd, it shoots pretty good.

No fears, PAL certified for a very long time.

Im getting the picture you dont rec the classic. Are the later versions better you speak of?

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:29 pm 

Just curious: Why have you bought two <500 rifles if you are looking for non-restricted PAL power?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:38 pm 

Edmonton<500 wrote:
Just curious: why have you bought two <500 rifles if you are looking for non-restricted PAL power?

They are cheap and plentiful. I have no intentions of spending a 1000 bucks on an air gun. Part of the enjoyment of the hobby is working on them and making improvements to trigger actions and what not. Is it not?

The classic I've had around here for years and the 10/22 i was interested in the repeater idea. Curiosity killed the cat.

Any other questions?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:58 pm 

Just curious.

No need to be assertive.

You are a new member here,
and you're asking questions about
mods that re-classify the guns
you purchased.

We're very careful about what we
share, especially with new members
who don't properly introduce themselves.

I'd suggest you go do that,
https://www.airgunforum.ca/forums/introduce-yourself-f13.html
and tell us about yourself,
perhaps with sufficient detail that
we feel confident you are sufficiently
knowledgeable to provide information
that, while perfectly legal, would put
you in a legal compromise.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:06 pm 

I have pushed my benji classic 22 about as far as possible without it being too harsh. I will tell you now you will not push it to 900 FPS and be able to maintain accuracy or not smashing the gun components into remission. I am a machinist and I was able to turn a piston seal and skirt from Teflon. I machined and polished a stainless steel spring guide and top hat. I installed a high quality stronger longer spring. I deburred and polished the piston chamber. I also milled brass barrel pivot shims and also a brass spring retainer to replace the plastics. Moly lube upon reassembly. After all this I topped out at 790 FPS with 14.3 grains while still being extremely accurate. I can sling 21 grain pellets at about 675fps if I remember correctly. I remember not being able to get past 21 foot lbs of energy. I have been shooting this set up for well over a year now and it’s holding up very well. It all boils down to the volume of air you can move. I could have probably milked a little more from the rifle if I had machined the piston a little shorter to afford more volume in the chamber but for the effort that would have taken I decided against it as I was more than happy with its performance. I later machined a nice brass muzzle brake for it and I also had a mold made of the plastic trigger guard and I cast it in brass. In the end I ended up with a really good looking gun that performs well. I can reproduce all these parts if you are interested. Just reach out. You can see some of my work on Instagram. My handle is 16shellsfroma30ought6

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:11 pm 

Edmonton<500 wrote:
Just curious.

No need to be assertive.

you purchased.

Thanks for the tip and warm welcome.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:33 pm 

Landsngrooves wrote:
I have pushed my benji classic 22 about as far as possible without it being too harsh. I will tell you now you will not push it to 900 FPS and be able to maintain accuracy or not smashing the gun components into remission. I am a machinist and I was able to turn a piston seal and skirt from Teflon. I machined and polished a stainless steel spring guide and top hat. I installed a high quality stronger longer spring. I deburred and polished the piston chamber. I also milled brass barrel pivot shims and also a brass spring retainer to replace the plastics. Moly lube upon reassembly. After all this I topped out at 790 FPS with 14.3 grains while still being extremely accurate. I can sling 21 grain pellets at about 675fps if I remember correctly. I remember not being able to get past 21 foot lbs of energy. I have been shooting this set up for well over a year now and it’s holding up very well. It all boils down to the volume of air you can move. I could have probably milked a little more from the rifle if I had machined the piston a little shorter to afford more volume in the chamber but for the effort that would have taken I decided against it as I was more than happy with its performance. I later machined a nice brass muzzle brake for it and I also had a mold made of the plastic trigger guard and I cast it in brass. In the end I ended up with a really good looking gun that performs well. I can reproduce all these parts if you are interested. Just reach out. You can see some of my work on Instagram. My handle is 16shellsfroma30ought6

700 FPS is certainly respectable. I used to do some machine work back in the day. What a great profession. And very useful too especially with this hobby.

So maybe i'm reading you wrong, but I was looking for over the counter parts from crosman to pick up some joules. But what it sound like it is we need to machine some custom stuff to get there with a quality outcome is that correct?

I remember talking to Eric at Scopes and Ammo about this a few years back and stated something about a kit. However I now fear Eric has gone out of business as I am unable to reach him by email or phone. Sad if that true. He was quite helpful.

Anyways thanks for the input. >Stay under 750 to keep it shooting straight. Good info. Thanks.

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:39 pm 

Blammo wrote:
Edmonton<500 wrote:
Just curious.

No need to be assertive.

you purchased.

Thanks for the tip and warm welcome.

Brother, that stance isn’t going to serve you well here. This is a great forum with a great bunch of guys that are more than willing to share their knowledge. Upon introducing yourself you would have noticed a warm welcome. Just go over and introduce yourself and maybe tell us a bit about yourself. I just posted a pretty good description of mods that you could do some homework on and you can expect responses like that from most of the guys on here. Take part and have fun and welcome dude!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:51 pm 

Blammo wrote:
Landsngrooves wrote:

700 FPS is certainly respectable. I used to do some machine work back in the day. What a great profession. And very useful too especially with this hobby.

So maybe i'm reading you wrong, but I was looking for over the counter parts from crosman to pick up some joules. But what it sound like it is we need to machine some custom stuff to get there with a quality outcome is that correct?

I remember talking to Eric at Scopes and Ammo about this a few years back and stated something about a kit. However I now fear Eric has gone out of business as I am unable to reach him by email or phone. Sad if that true. He was quite helpful.

Anyways thanks for the input. >Stay under 750 to keep it shooting straight. Good info. Thanks.

Cheers

No worries brother, yeah I would say keep it under 750. Yeah a little effort would go into getting the gun to that point. Fortunately I have the gear to make it happen but it takes a little time and that being said sometimes it’s cheaper to just buy a magnum springer. I think maybe that’s where the other users apprehension was coming from couples with you being a new member. Lots of guys just show up here and fish for mods in pal territory because they don’t have a pal so they cant buy a magnum springer that will be cheaper than the mods. You sound like me. Make it better if I can. Don’t be upset if the guys on here are always asking if you have a PAL. Guys just don’t want step in poop by telling people how to horrid their guns and they do something stupid and end up with cops looking into things.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:25 am 

Blammo wrote:
Edmonton<500 wrote:
Just curious: why have you bought two <500 rifles if you are looking for non-restricted PAL power?

They are cheap and plentiful. I have no intentions of spending a 1000 bucks on an air gun. Part of the enjoyment of the hobby is working on them and making improvements to trigger actions and what not. Is it not?

The classic I've had around here for years and the 10/22 i was interested in the repeater idea. Curiosity killed the cat.

Any other questions?

He's just trying to protect the hobby and forum. There been a huge increase of new members posts, asking about mods, that will re classify their sub 500 FPS airguns. Everybody is on Edge, because the government is currently banning some firearms, and seems some airguns are getting roped into it. So even I would be a little cautious.

I find with break barrels Low/mid 700 is the sweet spot. After that they get a little harder to control.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:10 pm 

I suggest the gas piston mod. or gas spring mod. as well as sanding and polishing the internals. as well as the main tube. do not over sand the main tube and leave the transfer port alone. you can also modify the trigger with a ball bearing or a piece of a tube from a pen. also shoots great off a bi pod.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next