Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:15 am 

airmec wrote:
pete wrote:
good job airmec. looks great. i had one of these guns too. i didn,t know when i got it that it was so toyish. this was about a year ago. i never heard about camo paint or dip back then. so what i did with mine was paint it with wood stain and clear coated it. turned out good. pics should still be somewhere on here. just might give you another idea to use. i gave my mod 74 away after i painted it.

Thank you Pete! But guess what? I didn't called it ''Travelling Daisy'' for nothing, this one WAS the one you refinished, I inherited it LOL! Unfortunately the stock suffered some hard handling and had a few good scratches, that's why I re-did it. I'm real glad I saw in real the finish you did though, now I know! I just hope you don't mind too much... :)

wow. really lol. the travelling daisy. i think thats great. after i wrote you to ask if you saw what i did to mine. i looked up that old post and saw that you did respond to it. i never knew it would end up with you. keep up the good work. maybe this could be a real traveller and in 5 or so years from now we can see how many hands it goes through and how many coats of paint. lol.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:55 pm 

pete wrote:
airmec wrote:
pete wrote:
good job airmec. looks great. i had one of these guns too. i didn,t know when i got it that it was so toyish. this was about a year ago. i never heard about camo paint or dip back then. so what i did with mine was paint it with wood stain and clear coated it. turned out good. pics should still be somewhere on here. just might give you another idea to use. i gave my mod 74 away after i painted it.

Thank you Pete! But guess what? I didn't called it ''Travelling Daisy'' for nothing, this one WAS the one you refinished, I inherited it LOL! Unfortunately the stock suffered some hard handling and had a few good scratches, that's why I re-did it. I'm real glad I saw in real the finish you did though, now I know! I just hope you don't mind too much... :)

wow. really lol. the travelling daisy. i think thats great. after i wrote you to ask if you saw what i did to mine. i looked up that old post and saw that you did respond to it. i never knew it would end up with you. keep up the good work. maybe this could be a real traveller and in 5 or so years from now we can see how many hands it goes through and how many coats of paint. lol.

I thought that I'd shoot it for a while, and eventually offer it as a gift too :) . And thank you for the kind words :drinkers: .

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:05 pm 

your welcome. i hope the gun gets well enjoyed for a long time. hey i bought some rustoleum clear coat today. i was going to give my little rifle that i camoed a couple coats. but i,m not sure if i should. it,s supposed to protect the paint. but i don,t wan,t to end up ruining the nice job i did on it. have you put any thought to clear coat.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:47 pm 

pete wrote:
your welcome. i hope the gun gets well enjoyed for a long time. hey i bought some rustoleum clear coat today. i was going to give my little rifle that i camoed a couple coats. but i,m not sure if i should. it,s supposed to protect the paint. but i don,t wan,t to end up ruining the nice job i did on it. have you put any thought to clear coat.

Yes I bought some to try, DupliColor trim & bumper clearcoat. I don't know yet what kind of finish it gives, but if it's like the bumper paint I used in the past, it'll give a satin finish. This is a product that resist scratches very well, and stays flexible when cured. But I need to try it before making any affirmations, and not on the PlastiDip coating. I have some plastic Crosman 13xx grip panels I could try this on, that'll give me a good idea. Hey you could do something similar: spray a coat or two of your camo paint on something you can loose, then try the clear coat on it. I'll come back later with pics of the clearcoated grip panels.

Attachments:
A.JPG
A.JPG [ 46.76 KiB | Viewed 277 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:45 am 

airmec wrote:
pete wrote:

Yes I bought some to try, DupliColor trim & bumper clearcoat. I don't know yet what kind of finish it gives, but if it's like the bumper paint I used in the past, it'll give a satin finish. This is a product that resist scratches very well, and stays flexible when cured. But I need to try it before making any affirmations, and not on the PlastiDip coating. I have some plastic Crosman 13xx grip panels I could try this on, that'll give me a good idea. Hey you could do something similar: spray a coat or two of your camo paint on something you can loose, then try the clear coat on it. I'll come back later with pics of the clearcoated grip panels.

thats a good idea. i,ve got a black jobmate drill case that is just screaming to be camo colored. and then clear coated. i think i got semi gloss. if it turns out good then i,ll do the rifle. thanks A.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:18 pm 

pete wrote:
airmec wrote:
pete wrote:

thats a good idea. i,ve got a black jobmate drill case that is just screaming to be camo colored. and then clear coated. i think i got semi gloss. if it turns out good then i,ll do the rifle. thanks A.

You're most welcome Pete. I sprayed one grip panel with the Duplicolor clear coat, and it indeed has a satin finish. In the picture the right hand one is the one I did, not easy to see, but it's less shiny.

Attachments:
Clearcoat_test.JPG
Clearcoat_test.JPG [ 86.41 KiB | Viewed 258 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:04 pm 

nice. i tried the stuff i bought to. i painted a black jobmate drill case camo colors same like the little gun i did. then sprayed a coat of the stuff i bought over it. it looks super great. i should have took pics.this could be an addiction-- i have a feeling that every where i look around here there is going to be something painted camo. lol. i.ll put a pic up of the stuff i bought. heres the stuff i got from canadian tire.

Attachments:
249859_0213_PTO_12oz_2xUltraCover_Semi-Gloss_Clear.png
249859_0213_PTO_12oz_2xUltraCover_Semi-Gloss_Clear.png [ 36.77 KiB | Viewed 257 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:41 pm 

I remember seeing that at my local CT, nice to know it's giving good results! On my list now :). If you can post a pic that would be nice.

Now put that rattle can away and take a deep breath :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:19 am 

heres some pics. of course the black one is the before pic. the camo one is after and i put one good coat of clear coat over the camo. shines good with that clear coat. this drill has been sitting around for years-- i hardly use it. pretty sharp. double click for bigger pics.

Attachments:
IMG_0844.jpg
IMG_0844.jpg [ 329.47 KiB | Viewed 243 times ]
IMG_0845.jpg
IMG_0845.jpg [ 309.93 KiB | Viewed 243 times ]
jobmate_cordless_power_drill_144v_1506650438_146f4c583.jpg
jobmate_cordless_power_drill_144v_1506650438_146f4c583.jpg [ 176.03 KiB | Viewed 243 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:27 pm 

That looks real nice Pete, I love it LOL! A camo drill case, it's so unusual it's hot!!! Thanks for posting :) .

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:05 pm 

airmec wrote:
That looks real nice Pete, I love it LOL! A camo drill case, it's so unusual it's hot!!! Thanks for posting :) .

thanks airmec. this was just a tester too-- so i could try out that clear coat. i think it passed -- A+ . because it really gives it a nice look. i had a little tube of red dollar store paint out in the garage and that helped set the look off even better. hmmmm what next--- lol. actually i might have to get another can of camo spray because my one can is very close to being empty already.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:45 am 

pete wrote:
heres some pics. of course the black one is the before pic. the camo one is after and i put one good coat of clear coat over the camo. shines good with that clear coat. this drill has been sitting around for years-- i hardly use it. pretty sharp. double click for bigger pics.

LOL I would lose that.. Like I lose my measuring tape, pencils, 10mm socket ETC in the garage..

I often put something down in the garage. Then do something, and then look around like John Travolta in Pulp Fiction, wondering where I put it.