Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: PlastiDip rubber coating
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:35 am 

Does anyone has experience using this product? I'd like to use it on the lower frame of my XP4, which is made of polymer as many know. Tips and advices welcome. TIA.

https://plastidip.com/our-products/plasti-dip/

Attachments:
Plastidip_Camo_Paint.JPG
Plastidip_Camo_Paint.JPG [ 78.38 KiB | Viewed 988 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:54 am 

I only used it to paint rims.. You have to make sure you degrease, and tape off what you don't want painted.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:23 am 

MANY coats, the more coats, the better the results and the easier it will be to remove is you ever decide to.
Thin coats too, thick coats will make blobs and may run.

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:07 am 

i used this stuff from canadian tire. it worked great. black gun is the before pic. turned out good. it,s a umarex xbg. i taped off everything that i wanted to stay black.

Attachments:
36381-238429.jpg
36381-238429.jpg [ 16.1 KiB | Viewed 937 times ]
IMG_0561.jpg
IMG_0561.jpg [ 269.86 KiB | Viewed 937 times ]
IMG_0551.jpg
IMG_0551.jpg [ 248.32 KiB | Viewed 937 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:16 pm 

PlasticDip also come in a liquid can, which you can use to dip items into for a complete plastic coverage. Or can paint on with a brush.

I have used the liquid version a couple of times for other items, not airguns. Do a couple of light coats for better coverage. Make sure coats are completely dry in-between applications. Also read the directions for more application tips.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:20 pm 

Thank a lot guys! I did the job this afternoon, it went rather well.

The parts were buffed with a maroon ScotchBrite pad to remove the factory clear finish and etch the surface, then thoroughly de-greased/cleaned with trisodium phosphate, using rubber gloves of course. 4 coats were applied, each one as thin as possible but thick enough to have a smooth finish, allowing about 45 min. between each coats. The product is actually very viscous and not that easy to apply in very thin coats, but that characteristic also helps to not get runs with thicker coats. The colour itself is a nice dark green, not too far from the factory one. They recommend to let the product dry for at least 4 hours before handling, I'll leave it overnight and see tomorrow morning.

pete wrote:
i used this stuff from canadian tire. it worked great. black gun is the before pic. turned out good. it,s a umarex xbg. i taped off everything that i wanted to stay black.

Thanks for mentionning it Pete, I actually hesitated between the Rustoleum and Plastidip. I may well give it a try too. That seem to have made a good job on your pistol, I really like the colour pattern, thanks for posting!

leadslinger wrote:
I only used it to paint rims.. You have to make sure you degrease, and tape off what you don't want painted.

How long did it last on the rims? Does it have the tendencies to peel off?

Attachments:
Green_XP4_1.JPG
Green_XP4_1.JPG [ 44.86 KiB | Viewed 890 times ]
Green_XP4_2.JPG
Green_XP4_2.JPG [ 54.41 KiB | Viewed 890 times ]
Green_XP4_3.JPG
Green_XP4_3.JPG [ 38.72 KiB | Viewed 890 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:47 pm 

It will chip over time and handling areas will wear more. Esp if you wear a wedding band.

Normally the guns I've painted with rattle cans. All ended up looking well used. There an AR15 I built back in the early 2000s. A reviewer ended up calling it the gun fighter AR. It passed a few hands before getting to him. So it looked well used, thus it was beat and not worth much In his opinion. His opinion changed once I gave him the build list.

Downside of painted stuff that gets used.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:41 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
It will chip over time and handling areas will wear more. Esp if you wear a wedding band.

Normally the guns I've painted with rattle cans. All ended up looking well used. There an AR15 I built back in the early 2000s. A reviewer ended up calling it the gun fighter AR. It passed a few hands before getting to him. So it looked well used, thus it was beat and not worth much In his opinion. His opinion changed once I gave him the build list.

Downside of painted stuff that gets used.

Thanks for the honest reply, that's appreciated. I know for a fact that even ''for industrial use only'' fleet paint do wear, I used some on a 1377 forearm a few years ago and the paint is worn by normal use, not cracked or peeled, just worn. I'm not expecting miracles, if the finish lasts a couple years it'll be ok. It's designed to be peeled off, I may see about that eventually.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:33 pm 

If painted with PlasticDip, it will not chip. It is like the rubber dipped handles on pliers. It may eventually wear off, but will not chip. I put on 2-3 coats, of PlasticDip, so it lasts a long time.

If it does wear down in spots, you can peal it away & redo it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:58 am 

BB1Shooter wrote:
If painted with PlasticDip, it will not chip. It is like the rubber dipped handles on pliers. It may eventually wear off, but will not chip. I put on 2-3 coats, of PlasticDip, so it lasts a long time.

If it does wear down in spots, you can peal it away & redo it.

Like I said, I only used it on rims. So it had impacts that a painted gun wouldn't have been in contact with. Rocks, curbs etc.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:53 pm 

The Daisy 74 has a new dress :) . I tried the Tan colour PlastiDip on that travelling Daisy. I like the look, and the ''rubbery'' grip is nice. I also re-did the butt pad with black plastiDip, it shows when you shoulder this very lightweight BB gun, it holds much better. Thinking of that as a nice option for pistol grips, especially seeing how the XP4 handles.

Oh, and it also is now shooting BBs @ 460 fps thanks to some tuning, and with very decent accuracy, I got under an inch groups @ 25 feet shooting upright 8) . Big thanks again Steve :drinkers: .

Attachments:
D1.JPG
D1.JPG [ 53.03 KiB | Viewed 579 times ]
D2.JPG
D2.JPG [ 71.08 KiB | Viewed 579 times ]
D3.JPG
D3.JPG [ 66.69 KiB | Viewed 579 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:54 pm 

Another successful airmec experiment!

Well done!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:46 pm 

Thank you Murray :drinkers:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:43 am 

good job airmec. looks great. i had one of these guns too. i didn,t know when i got it that it was so toyish. this was about a year ago. i never heard about camo paint or dip back then. so what i did with mine was paint it with wood stain and clear coated it. turned out good. pics should still be somewhere on here. just might give you another idea to use. i gave my mod 74 away after i painted it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:17 pm 

pete wrote:
good job airmec. looks great. i had one of these guns too. i didn,t know when i got it that it was so toyish. this was about a year ago. i never heard about camo paint or dip back then. so what i did with mine was paint it with wood stain and clear coated it. turned out good. pics should still be somewhere on here. just might give you another idea to use. i gave my mod 74 away after i painted it.

Thank you Pete! But guess what? I didn't called it ''Travelling Daisy'' for nothing, this one WAS the one you refinished, I inherited it LOL! Unfortunately the stock suffered some hard handling and had a few good scratches, that's why I re-did it. I'm real glad I saw in real the finish you did though, now I know! I just hope you don't mind too much... :)