Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:08 pm 

This guy says he added 50fps to his Phantom.....I say no way..probably LOST 200fps... :shock:
https://youtu.be/UiJSf8oD1EQ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:45 pm 

Hard to say but I'm inclined to agree with you. I checked his channel and he never did a chrony test before/after the mod. He made a video of a shot through a wood board, but no details whatsoever on speed, distance or anything else: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vRGo7unbPo

Interesting to note, Chevota left a reply in the comment section of the video you posted.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:58 pm 

While I wouldn't go and blindly drill the transfer port of my springer, I do believe that in some cases such a modification can increase the FPS :

I believe the non PAL Gamo Varmint has a short piston and full power spring, like you'd find in a Trail or Quest etc. I know that because I bought the Quest upgrade kit from scopes and ammo for my Benji Classic and got pretty much the same results with the upgrade kit and the Varmint spring. The piston is the same lenght, no bleed hole or anything, which leaves me to wonder how'd they manage to tune down the varmint without a weaker spring or modified piston ?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:16 pm 

airmec wrote:
Hard to say but I'm inclined to agree with you. I checked his channel and he never did a chrony test before/after the mod. He made a video of a shot through a wood board, but no details whatsoever on speed, distance or anything else: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vRGo7unbPo

Interesting to note, Chevota left a reply in the comment section of the video you posted.

Quote:
Chevota left a reply in the comment section

And for once he was correct

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:17 pm 

airmec wrote:

Never noticed Chevota in the comments but yes thats him....you can tell its him by the encyclopedic
response....never a guy for short answers thats for sure....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:33 pm 

Ask ravengun. He drilled out the transfer port, then was asking the stock size. Because it lost FPS.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:12 pm 

Completely normal to lose FPS when going to larger port unless you have a huge 80mm plus stroke and short port....then you might get more out going bigger but risky.
Think Webley MK3..or Anshutz 335 both of them never able to compete for power with similar guns, entirely due to 4mm plus ports. 6mm in the case of the MK3 ..barely 35% efficient.
Think HW35 ...going down to a 3mm port improves the guns performance no end..
Very often, going in the other direction improves power....more pressure, less lost volume..
You can find out the volume of a TP by adding its length to the diameter....This then equals your lost volume.
A long port like HW35 rifles which is opened up in size will be a disaster because that extra diameter more massively impacts its volume because of its long length....don't ever do it.

A good safe port size for a springer is 3mm.
I once gained 30 fps by sleeving a stock Walther LP53 pistol port from its stock 4mm down to 2.8 mm and transformed the guns shot cycle..

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:27 pm 

clarky wrote:
I once gained 30 fps by sleeving a stock Walther LP53 pistol port from its stock 4mm down to 2.8 mm and transformed the guns shot cycle..

How to? JB weld the port then drill open it again with the size you want?

And, does that apply on rifles too?

HW45 with customized grips from UK
Russian Izzy 46M
2240+14" barrel
Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:21 pm 

Fairly easily. A great source is stainless steel hollow pins. They come in a range of sizes, or telescopic chrome radio ariels.
You can find the right fit, or drill out the TP to get the fit and then glue in with Red Loctite 638.
It will never come out and needs drilling out if you want it out.

I used a 4mm dia x 10 long stainless tube in the Walther. The internal dia. slightly under 3mm ..

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:37 pm 

:thumb: That's a good idea~ Learned something new and will keep that in the knowledge database ~

HW45 with customized grips from UK
Russian Izzy 46M
2240+14" barrel
Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit