Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:55 am 

Which has the best value in your opinion? What's your experience with them regarding size and fit, and durability?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:35 am 

airmec wrote:
Which has the best value in your opinion? What's your experience with them regarding size and fit, and durability?

What gun........... leather seal can last a long time i still have gun with them .I had a punch set for making seals but not sure what happened to it i do know silicone will restore a leather seal to a point ........

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:21 pm 

Well I guess my question wasn't formulated correctly, sorry for that. I should have asked '' what synthetic seals do you use to replace old leather seals''.

I have many old leather-sealed springers with that size of seal. I have no troubles maintaining leather seals or making new ones, I was just curious about what peoples have used, and how it turned out. Also I just made a dovetail adapter washer to use a Crosman 25 mm parachute seal in a China-made Star ST901 break barrel rifle. I'm wondering how the brand-name seals like Crosman compare to aftermarket seals like Vortek or something else. Cheers!

Attachments:
New_seal.JPG
New_seal.JPG [ 45.57 KiB | Viewed 904 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:13 pm 

Ok well i have used the Vortek seal they seem to hold up well i mostly use Jim's seals https://www.airrifleheadquarters.com/pa ... 251485.htm been around way longer and they just work only crosman seal i ever used was in a phantom when they came out they would eat seals my opinion is there junk ...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:28 pm 

lauchlin wrote:
Ok well i have used the Vortek seal they seem to hold up well i mostly use Jim's seals https://www.airrifleheadquarters.com/pa ... 251485.htm been around way longer and they just work only crosman seal i ever used was in a phantom when they came out they would eat seals my opinion is there junk ...

Thank you for that lauchlin, I saw good stuff about Maccari seals. I'll look into that :drinkers:

The rifle is back together with the Crosman seal. Previously it shot in the low-400s with JSB 7.33 grains pellets, with the new synthetic seals it's now in the high 450s. Also it seems it wants to shoot with these JSBs, didn't shoot much but three pellets in the same hole at 25 feet is promising. The Diana rear sight I installed is doing its job, and the barrel is excellent, really happy with the results.

Attachments:
J.JPG
J.JPG [ 103.17 KiB | Viewed 883 times ]
K.JPG
K.JPG [ 95.09 KiB | Viewed 883 times ]
L.JPG
L.JPG [ 97.43 KiB | Viewed 883 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:48 am 

Wow, nice looking oldie.
It's good to see successful restoration projects.

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:37 am 

Dukemeister wrote:
Wow, nice looking oldie.
It's good to see successful restoration projects.

Thanks Duke :drinkers: . This one is special, as it's almost identical to the first one I had at 16. Can't thank enough the good soul that passed it on to me :) .