Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:49 am 

ricksplace wrote:
It's decriminalising possession of drugs, not legalising them. Big difference. Do your research.

Why, I don't care about drugs. So why would I waste my time researching it? Honestly I think them legalizing it was stupid. But but but..... It helps people with PTSD... YEAH NO. I know many people that not getting better on MMJ. It's a band aid fix to the real problem.

The heavy drug users Vet friends I have, are all paranoid crazy. But whine to be that they are not getting better.

But I got no time for people that break the laws. Legal, but people are willing to kill others, over sales, and turf.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:54 am 

leadslinger wrote:
ricksplace wrote:
It's decriminalising possession of drugs, not legalising them. Big difference. Do your research.

Why, I don't care about drugs. So why would I waste my time researching it? Honestly I think them legalizing it was stupid. But but but..... It helps people with PTSD... YEAH NO. I know many people that not getting better on MMJ. It's a band aid fix to the real problem.

The heavy drug users Vet friends I have, are all paranoid crazy. But whine to be that they are not getting better.

But I got no time for people that break the laws. Legal, but people are willing to kill others, over sales, and turf.

30 countries have decriminalised drug possession.
Here's a list...
https://www.citywide.ie/decriminalisati ... tries.html

I realise you won't read it as you have said researching the topic would be a waste of time.

Too soon old too late smart.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:41 am 

ricksplace wrote:

You realize that most of the guys with pages of drug arrests also have weapons charges as well. They catch these guys on the street with a prohibited glock, and they still give them bail, and let them off easy.
Now if one of us did that....

Spend a day in a court room in a major city when they are doing arraignments or sentencing and you will see what I mean.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:50 am 

paddyfritz wrote:
ricksplace wrote:

You realize that most of the guys with pages of drug arrests also have weapons charges as well. They catch these guys on the street with a prohibited glock, and they still give them bail, and let them off easy.
Now if one of us did that....

Spend a day in a court room in a major city when they are doing arraignments or sentencing and you will see what I mean.

Yup, my best friend is a cop. It is the courts/lawyers that get these people off. Cops just try and stick a charge that will stick. And then up to him to arrest them again, when shocking they break the law again. With again, another gun.

On topic.

Last month he grabbed a Glock Airgun from someone. Using a airgun for intimation.

Last year someone found out the hard way, when they started pointing and shooting airsoft at first responders.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:59 am 

ricksplace wrote:

30 countries have decriminalised drug possession.
Here's a list...
https://www.citywide.ie/decriminalisati ... tries.html

I realise you won't read it as you have said researching the topic would be a waste of time.

Like Paddy said most of these people with drug charges have weapon charges. So they are hardly innocent. These are not a teen caught behind a school smoking a joint. I remember growing up and one of my aunts was married to one of the "known" drug families around. Cops don't sit outside a funeral home, after one of my cousins where shot and killed. My grandmother was a para legal, got my ( Another) uncle out of soo much trouble. He is now a vegetable because of drug use, my another Uncle OD. So I been around these people.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:27 pm 

this is a coordinated effort on their part...

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/307096/RCMP-plea-Treat-replica-firearms-as-if-they-are-the-real-thing#307096

i wish they (police, public, press, politicians) would stop calling them 'imitation and replica firearms'...
they ARE firearms, of the Uncontrolled Firearm type. to be owned and used by 'of-age' and responsible shooters/collectors.

is a Chinese Norinco 1911 a (mere) imitation or replica of a 1911 firearm?
no, it is a firearm styled after a 1911.
so's my KWC 1911. it too can be powerful enough to cause serious injury or death. (kinda)

the cops know what a replica is....

RCMP: https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firearms/specific-types-firearms
Air guns that are replica firearms:

These are air guns not powerful enough to cause serious injury or death, but designed to resemble a real firearm with near precision. Replica firearms, except for replicas of antique firearms, are classified as prohibited devices.

In particular, some air guns commonly known as air soft guns may fall into this category.

hence, that's why a dollar store spring gun which is not powerful enough to cause serious injury or death... has clear plastic, orange tips, not-to-scale size, odd colours (nerf). this is so not to be classified as a REPLICA of a FIREARM, which would be a prohibited device in canada. *not even a prohibited weapon, but a prohibited device. like nunchuks.
________
grrr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:42 pm 

Can't say I disagree with you guys on most points. My daughter lived with a cop (downtown Toronto) for 5 years. I've heard all the stories and then some. The article mentions other countries' experience, (good and bad). It's worth a perusal. I used to think that decriminalisation meant legalising too.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:44 pm 

Leon Yrag wrote:

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/307096/RCMP-plea-Treat-replica-firearms-as-if-they-are-the-real-thing#307096

i wish they (police, public, press, politicians) would stop calling them '[b]imitation and replica[/b] firearms'...
they ARE firearms, of the Uncontrolled Firearm type. to be owned and used by 'of-age' and responsible shooters/collectors.

so's my KWC 1911. it too can be powerful enough to cause serious injury or death. (kinda)

These are air guns not powerful enough to cause serious injury or death, but designed to resemble a real firearm with near precision. Replica firearms, except for replicas of antique firearms, are classified as prohibited devices.

In particular, some air guns commonly known as air soft guns may fall into this category.

hence, that's why a dollar store spring gun which is not powerful enough to cause serious injury or death... has clear plastic, orange tips, not-to-scale size, odd colours (nerf). this is so not to be classified as a REPLICA of a FIREARM, which would be a prohibited device in canada. *not even a prohibited weapon, but a prohibited device. like nunchuks.
________
grrr

Good luck, you got to get them to stop using terms like, assault rifles, or AR 15 style.. Just because it has like a M4 stock and a pistol grip, doesn't make it a AR15, or assault rifle.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:35 pm 

Leon Yrag wrote:

i wish they (police, public, press, politicians) would stop calling them 'imitation and replica firearms'...

________
grrr

This particular law shows the absolute stupidity of Canadian firearm legislation. Not positive about the velocity considered to be the crossing point between dangerous and not dangerous - seems to me it was around 350-360 fps. Given that it's 360 with a metal projectile, launched at 340 it becomes a prohibited weapon. A firearm that isn't considered dangerous becomes prohibited, while the the one that shoots hard enough to hurt someone can be purchased anywhere as long as you're of the specified age.

Of course you know I could go on,
and on,
and on.

$0.00

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:43 pm 

this one slipped by me from last month..
https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/304690/Influx-in-replica-gun-seizures
Influx-in-replica-gun-seizures...

there's a few there i need. check the gallery.
wonder if they'll come up for auction??
..being a legal-to-own consumer product and all, like a bike practically.

".. Many of the imitation firearms were used .." sigh
A: aren't they imitations of a firearm..?
B: when/why/how did the term firearm ever get tagged to an air gun?
:hsmash
_________
T.G.T.I.F.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:14 pm 

and the beat goes on in Klowntown...

an improperly stored .308 rifle,
and a Crosman Phantom.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/307259/Provincial-gang-unit-spends-BC-Day-long-weekend-in-Kelowna

"..Police seized [one] improperly stored .308 rifle and asked three people to leave various establishments in support of Kelowna’s Inadmissible Patron Program. Officers also seized small quantities of cocaine, crystal meth, and fentanyl..."

Surrey doesn't have beaches.
Provincial-gang-unit-spends-BC-Day-long-weekend-in-Kelowna

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:01 pm 

https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/vict ... -1.5060224

Just a matter of time

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:36 pm 

ricksplace wrote:
Can't say I disagree with you guys on most points. My daughter lived with a cop (downtown Toronto) for 5 years. I've heard all the stories and then some. The article mentions other countries' experience, (good and bad). It's worth a perusal. I used to think that decriminalisation meant legalising too.

So, I'm curious, rick. What is the difference between decriminalized and legalized? As far as I'm concerned, they're one in the same, except the former is just Ottawa Speak for, "oh no, we did not "legalize" a banned substance."

So what is the big difference, please.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:08 am 

Edmonton<500 wrote:
ricksplace wrote:

So, I'm curious, rick. What is the difference between decriminalized and legalized? As far as I'm concerned, they're one in the same, except the former is just Ottawa Speak for, "oh no, we did not "legalize" a banned substance."

In simple terms, it means that possession of illegal drugs (small quantities for personal use, the drugs are still illegal) will not result in criminal charges. Larger quantities (supposedly for trafficking) will result in criminal charges, the same as now. It seems to be an attempt to reduce the simple possession arrests and focus on the health problem rather than the criminal problem. It also frees up the time police and the court system spend on possession cases. Obviously, the idea is controversial. Will drug use increase? Why should people who break the law get away with it? I was surprised to see how many countries have decided to implement some sort of decriminalization of illegal drugs. I think Uruguay was the first. Here's a very short article from the USA (the country who gave us the failed war on drugs) that might answer a few questions.
https://www.drugpolicy.org/issues/drug- ... nalization

And here is a (longer) Canadian article:
https://globalnews.ca/news/7161215/drug ... da-future/

Here's an analogy. Exceeding the posted speed limit is breaking the law. 20k over gets you a fine. 100k over gets you charged with (criminal) dangerous driving. Both are breaking the law.

Thank you for asking. I don't run around preaching what a wonderful world it would be if drugs were decriminalised! I'm actually somewhat sceptical (I'm old and often inflexible), but seeing other countries' successes is interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:43 am 

ricksplace wrote:
Edmonton<500 wrote:
ricksplace wrote:

In simple terms, it means that possession of illegal drugs (small quantities for personal use, the drugs are still illegal) will not result in criminal charges. Larger quantities (supposedly for trafficking) will result in criminal charges, the same as now. It seems to be an attempt to reduce the simple possession arrests and focus on the health problem rather than the criminal problem. It also frees up the time police and the court system spend on possession cases. Obviously, the idea is controversial. Will drug use increase? Why should people who break the law get away with it? I was surprised to see how many countries have decided to implement some sort of decriminalization of illegal drugs. I think Uruguay was the first. Here's a very short article from the USA (the country who gave us the failed war on drugs) that might answer a few questions.
https://www.drugpolicy.org/issues/drug- ... nalization

And here is a (longer) Canadian article:
https://globalnews.ca/news/7161215/drug ... da-future/

Here's an analogy. Exceeding the posted speed limit is breaking the law. 20k over gets you a fine. 100k over gets you charged with (criminal) dangerous driving. Both are breaking the law.

Thank you for asking. I don't run around preaching what a wonderful world it would be if drugs were decriminalised! I'm actually somewhat sceptical (I'm old and often inflexible), but seeing other countries' successes is interesting.

I don't know what made you bring this on? Because some judge let go someone with weapon charges, and slap them with minor drug charges. But then the government will go after law abiding people, because the justice system is a joke. And you feel like that they shouldn't got charged. Well sorry these are the ones that have bad intentions and should be made a example.

How many times will my buddy arrest the same person with an prohibited handgun on him? Already been twice. But hey charged him with drug possession. So these people that you are defending, are criminals, and nothing good about them.