Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: angry at the neighbor
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:18 pm 

hi peeps

i have airguns and 2 powder burners, not that i was ever an avid hunter but gave it up years ago, now i just punch paper and nothing more

lately i finished the last lawn section leading to a bit of forest behind my house, lots of effort and cost to take out stumps, sumacs, cleaning it, tilling, planting seeds, fertilize, put peat moss on it, water etc etc

each day i notice quite a few holes all over the new patch i worked on, I repair it and the next day there are just as many, thought they were made by crows or something till i noticed they were squirrels doing it, I've seen at least 4 individuals if not more, i do not kill animals as i do not see the need but this was getting out of hand, i took one of my accurate air rifle and zeroed it, next time i saw one i took it out.....one shot one kill.

did the same the next day with another individual, i went and picked up the carcass i noticed buried peanuts in the shell, i suspected the neighbor was perhaps feeding them since i do see lots of shells all over my property, as well as bird feeders on his property, he came home and i paid him a visit to see, indeed they are feeding the squirrels, explained the problem and he said he would stop, thanked him for his cooperation and said i wouldn't mind if he starts again once my new patch has grown a bit, there are few holes of over my older lawn but nothing i feel concerned about

why am i writing this.....because i'm angry at something that did not have to happen, these squirrels did not have to be dispatched, especially not when they are being purposely fed and stick around for those peanuts

rant over :evil:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:59 pm 

In the big scheme of things, a neighbor feeding squirrels isn't all that bad...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:37 pm 

HOLY CATS AND DOGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:49 pm 

used this airsoft to pinch about 6 of them, surprised at the accuracy from 50 to 70 feet :shock:

think they are getting the message from the 1 foot jump they make when you hit the rear quarter, at least no needless killing of animals and no injury it seems

Attachments:
IMG_20200803_173954.jpg
IMG_20200803_173954.jpg [ 338.11 KiB | Viewed 566 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:11 pm 

Where I live the houses are pretty close that’s what you get for living in the GTA.
I had squirrels and especially the red ones chew through my patio
Lights and Xmas lights.
Could have probably shot them but I decided to live catch them and relocate them up
North.
I’ve grown up hunting and stuff at my age now I try not to kill.... maybe I appreciate life more but rats I’ll shoot them.... lol

That’s me but I understand what you’re going through.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:08 pm 

Pff thats it?

You didn't have to shoot the squirrels. And my lawn gets chewed up by raccoons, crows. If it wasn't the squirrels, it be something else.

I gotta deal with the mice and rats from 5 horses in 1/2 acre.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:50 am 

leadslinger wrote:
Pff thats it?

You didn't have to shoot the squirrels. And my lawn gets chewed up by raccoons, crows. If it wasn't the squirrels, it be something else.

that's too bad, would not be an issue for me if they are just pests doing what they do, but in my case it is a created problem...

shot the two first ones before i switched to airsoft, that took care of about 10 of the big ones, they now avoid the backyard altogether, there are 4 smaller ones still going there and it seems they are not getting the "airsoft memo", i switched to the daisy grizzly with BB's, still no injury but a bigger pinch, if that fails to work, i'll have to take out the 34 and terminate the problem

i still say this didn't have to happen, the neighbor has not stopped feeding them, i think he loaded me with BS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:51 pm 

Look at this guy who tried to fight squirrels and despite being a former NASA engineer he was quickly outsmarted by them.
It gave me a new respect for tree rats :wink:

https://youtu.be/hFZFjoX2cGg

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:51 pm 

Squirrels are good eating.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:57 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
Pff thats it?

Sounds like a pretty interesting life for an air gunner. :-?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:23 pm 

DocGadget wrote:
Look at this guy who tried to fight squirrels and despite being a former NASA engineer he was quickly outsmarted by them.

Hilarious, AND amazing! Watch this video, folks!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:53 pm 

paddyfritz wrote:
Squirrels are good eating.

Ate a city squirrel one time and it tasted like garbage. Just saying. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:55 pm 

One has been teasing my dog, from the other side of the fence.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:51 pm 

DocGadget wrote:

His glitter bomb for porch thieves is what made him famous. Mandatory viewing imo.