Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Re: Hand pumping
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:56 am 

The Krals are a good choice. I've got the Puncher Jumbo and NP-03 in .25

Rich

Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:01 pm 

Thank you Leadslinger .I'm on board now. Will get busy , thanks again

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:57 pm 

I hate pumping. It gets in the way of shooting. Like sillymike said "don't pump before shooting" well, what if you want to shoot more than one cylinder worth of air? A long lever set-up will help but nothing will replace a tank.
The place to fill is farther? Get a bigger tank.
Forget dive shops, look for paintball fields in your area. Paintballers fill the same tanks we do but regulate them to CO2 pressures. They fill with nitrogen so it cheaper and dryer than breathable air.

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:52 pm 

Me toooo. I hate pumping but, I love shooting . Guess I'll have to pump. At my age -77 , I just don't get in a big hurry.I'll still burn a tin and maybe a half at a setting.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:18 pm 

My back wouldn't allow me to pump, if I wanted to & I don't.
I rent a 200 pound nitrogen 4500psi bottle from Praaxair - once a year.
My cost is about $240.00 per year.
The black tank cabled in the corner is the tank. The box to the right contains
2 77cu in. 4500 carbon fiber bottles. The silver cylinder in front of those is a
60 cu, in. 3,000psi scuba tank. the grayish bottle is CO2.
lol- the tubes in the closet are fly rods. The casting rods are all to the left, around the corner.
My "suff" corner of the shop. The split cards on the wall were done with muzzleloading rifles and
my smoothbore shooting patched round ball.

Attachments:
IMG_2658.JPG
IMG_2658.JPG [ 592.85 KiB | Viewed 282 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:40 am 

Renting a big bottle like that wouldn't be so bad, I tried our local Praxair and they don't do anything with hpa at ours unfortunetly.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:43 am 

How far are you from Halifax/Dartmouth.

Guess just buy a scba tank, and get it filled at a dive shop, or paintball.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:16 am 

My advice, buy a cheap compressor like a yeng hong. Fills fast, not so loud, super convenient. Been using mine for years with zero issues.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:47 am 

902Plinker wrote:
Renting a big bottle like that wouldn't be so bad, I tried our local Praxair and they don't do anything with hpa at ours unfortunetly.

QB- that is nitrogen, not HPA. The Praaxair company here doesn't do compressed air, either.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:18 pm 

Bi-pod......Yes those knobs and springs just don't hold the tension very well,...sooo I took a Nylock nut and screwed it on. I let it sit there foe about 5 mins to take the thread set....then the took it off and quickly turned it around and threaded it on backwards... now it hold tension and is still adjustable if needed...but once I found the setting / tension I wanted I haven't needed to adjust it again...KEN.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:25 pm 

I recently got the opportunity to pump up a Dreamline lite by hand and honestly it was really not that bad.

(I know it's not as crazy high cc as some but still)

The biggest issue I had is I'm 140lb and while I'm tall and fit this little lady just didn't have the mass for the ultra high pressures to even bottom out the pump.

I find I could "float" on the mk4 pump with my full body weight suspended in the air and couldn't get it fully compressed.

I might need a weighted backpack, but otherwise I like everything about hand pumping and think when I get a PCP it will be my go to method...

Now which PCP is still a question haha

But I too wonder how doable the bottles will be.

It shouldn't be harder (to depress) to pump up a gun's bottle, just take longer right?

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:28 pm 

Today I pumped up my PP700 pistol from zero to about 160bar... And I found the most difficult part is the pump just too short and I still not able to find a comfortable pose to pump it...

HW45 with customized grips from UK
Russian Izzy 46M
2240 14" barrel carbine
Camo Chaser long barrel carbine
PP700SA long barrel carbine

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:47 pm 

YepYep wrote:
Today I pumped up my PP700 pistol from zero to about 160bar... And I found the most difficult part is the pump just too short and I still not able to find a comfortable pose to pump it...

Make an extension.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:52 am 

I'm 71 and don't find pumping to be a big deal. I've pumped my Stormrider2 .22 many times at home and at the range, which requires something like 40 pumps.

I just got a QB79 with 13 CU Ninja bottle and that took a while to pump from zero to 3,000 PSI. I did it in two stages to avoid overheating the eBay hand pump.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/3-Stage-PCP-Air ... 2749.l2649

FWIW, the pump gradually became less effective so I snugged up all fasteners. The two quick couplers are sealed to the hose by means of nylon/Teflon (white 'plastic-stuff') washers and snugged up a significant number of degrees. After tightening, the number of pumps was reduced by about 75%. Since I had no experience with these pumps or filling PCP, I had no idea how much pumping or effort is required. I'm quite happy with the hand pumping, especially given the 120+ shots from the QB79 between filling.

I've been considering a nitrogen bottle, or perhaps using the mixed gasses for my MIG? IIRC, the mix is CO2-25% and Argon gas – 75%. Neither of those should be a problem for either the Stormrider and certainly not the (made for CO2) QB79, correct?

Has anyone looked into using MIG mixture? I have the cylinder in the garage so it would save buying another.

Webley Viscount .177
Benjamin NP XL Trail .25
Diana 470TH .177
Crossman 1377 Classic Pump .177
Beeman 500 Tactical .177
Diana Stormrider2 .22
QB79 HP Air conv. .177

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:53 am 

Normk wrote:
I'm 71 and don't find pumping to be a big deal. I've pumped my Stormrider2 .22 many times at home and at the range, which requires something like 40 pumps.

I just got a QB79 with 13 CU Ninja bottle and that took a while to pump from zero to 3,000 PSI. I did it in two stages to avoid overheating the eBay hand pump.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/3-Stage-PCP-Air ... 2749.l2649

FWIW, the pump gradually became less effective so I snugged up all fasteners. The two quick couplers are sealed to the hose by means of nylon/Teflon (white 'plastic-stuff') washers and snugged up a significant number of degrees. After tightening, the number of pumps was reduced by about 75%. Since I had no experience with these pumps or filling PCP, I had no idea how much pumping or effort is required. I'm quite happy with the hand pumping, especially given the 120+ shots from the QB79 between filling.

I've been considering a nitrogen bottle, or perhaps using the mixed gasses for my MIG? IIRC, the mix is CO2-25% and Argon gas – 75%. Neither of those should be a problem for either the Stormrider and certainly not the (made for CO2) QB79, correct?

Has anyone looked into using MIG mixture? I have the cylinder in the garage so it would save buying another.

Argon isn't cheap. A 20CF tank of Mig mix gas, is 234$ and then may be limited to where you can get it filled. For that price, you are more than 1/2 way to a PCP compressor.